Ruger mini 14 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Ruger mini 14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #21
SoL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

oh yeah I may as well add that I do rabbit control in an absolutely ravaged area of our country.

Incredibly target rich so an auto loader is essential.
I'm talking about going out for an evening with a friend and shooting upwards of 50 rabbits, so there's a lot of quick target aquisition and all that bollocks, hence a red dot sight and a shotgun.

My current ultimate combination is my 10/22 with pistolgrip and red dot scope and my good old winchester 1912 pumpgun.

These are basically my favourite guns ever but we are thinking of upgrading to a saiga 12 to match the autoloader advantage.

But the only reason id want a higher calibre vs rabbits is just for a better show, less chance of wounding. and maybe a bit more range.

Would have to still be a pop pop pop pop gun.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

the 10-22 and the Mini-14 are on opposite ends of the quality spectrum from Ruger. The 10-22 is a great little platform but the Mini-14 is an unreliable innacurate rifle that takes expensive, hard to find magazines.

That's just my opinion, its only worth as much as you paid for it.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:33 AM   #23

Ruger Inc has recently taken many orders for authentic factory 20-rd. mags.
Might be worth an e-mail or phone calls. Their price might still be about $30 and avail. until later in January.
Until several weeks ago, they only sold these to LEOs, domestic or foreign.

Knowing nothing about them last spring, bought a Promag 30-rd. polymer for my purchase then of a used -14 (1980 vintage).
Although it has been loaded only to about 12-20 rds or less, so far it has never had a misfeed, despite a loose fit.
My only problem has been with .223 ammo prices-much higher than Russian surplus for the MN.

By the way, in my Mini 30 the brand-new Promag blued 10-rounder has been perfect each time, with at least five-six full mags and several partial loads.
Its fit is fairly tight.

Last edited by Laufer; 01-11-2009 at 01:16 AM.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:38 AM   #24
SoL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i see, so basically steer clear of that mini 14 thing, bummer.

so what would you recommend as a low-end-intermediate-cartridge semiautomatic "pepper gun"?

I'd be totally willing to get a .22wmr ruger 10/22 but i hear they basically suck.

any other decent semi auto magnums that arent the remington 597, ever?

Would DEFINITELY need to be a lightweight carbine set up.

Thanks

Last edited by SoL; 01-11-2009 at 02:41 AM.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #25

The new Mini14 is a real good rifle, I have one. They retooled the factory and have better quality control so every gun has pretty good accuracy, they have always been very reliable. I really dont know why some people dog them so much. I guess some of the older models had issues with accuracy not being as good as they would have liked.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptin View Post
The new Mini14 is a real good rifle, I have one. They retooled the factory and have better quality control so every gun has pretty good accuracy, they have always been very reliable. I really dont know why some people dog them so much. I guess some of the older models had issues with accuracy not being as good as they would have liked.
They're great ranch rifles. They're terrible zombie blasters. The barrels just aren't heavy enough to deal with sustained fire. Also, when Ruger minified the M14, they cut way too much important metal out of the receiver.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #27

matt g:
As an older middle-aged guy who is sort of new to an interest in guns (read websites and plink often with only iron sights), what does sustained fire do to a Mini 14 or 30, other than hurt accuracy and risk bore damage?
Two Minis, SKS, two MN 44s (and ancient .22).

Last edited by Laufer; 01-20-2009 at 07:02 AM.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Sustained fire will heat up the relatively thin barrel of the Ruger. Wear? Barrel wear should not be a factor. Even after firing thousands of rounds as the barrel steel is far harder than the bullets jackets. .223 is not a round known for throat erosion. Regular cleaning and reasonable rates of fire should insure the bore stays in good shape.

If you shoot hundreds of rounds, as fast as you can, you may see some issues.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laufer View Post
matt g:
As an older middle-aged guy who is sort of new to an interest in guns (read websites and plink often with only iron sights), what does sustained fire do to a Mini 14 or 30, other than hurt accuracy and risk bore damage?
Two Minis, SKS, two MN 44s (and ancient .22).
Head space suffers and the barrel warps. These two things combined, will cause bullets to go way away from where the sights are pointed. There is no threat of bore damage at all, it just throws accuracy to hell.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:05 AM   #30
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Well,I see there are a bunch of Mini14 haters here. They may not be the most accurate gun ever produced,but they are a decent gun for what they were intended for. I have had a 180 series(the first ones) since 1980,and have put countless rounds through it.
Animal wise,I can kill anything with it in one shot that I can do with any of my AR's or Saiga within 125yrds,after that it goes down hill. As long as you don't rapid fire the Mini 14 they are just as accurate as anything for hunting. They are not a target gun,and were never designed to punch tiny groups in paper targets. I laugh every time I go to a public range and see guys out trying to shoot groups with a Mini 14.
Are people just that stupid,thats like taking a Thompson 1927 machine gun and trying to shoot targets with groups at a 100yrds-It isn't going to happen!
The only time I have taken mine to the range was to sight in the scope,and after I dialed it in,it was put back in the truck. But if I see a coyote or other varmit that's in range when it is in my truck,you can count'em DEAD! with the Mini 14

ruger180mini14-7-.jpg  

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club