Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Ruger mini 14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
SoL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ruger mini 14

Are these worth the while?

They go for $2000 NEW here in new Zealand.

I got a brand new last gen (metal triggergroup) Ruger 10/22 carbine for about $500 a year ago.

Do these prices seem about right?

Are you all gonna tell me to get some kind of AR 15?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

If you want the Mini for zapping coyotes and ground hogs on the ranch, they're a good choice. If you're looking for something that will accurately provide sustained fire, you're better off looking elsewhere. Even the new Minis get hot quick and once they do, the shots will walk everywhere.

Looks like the NZ Dollar sits at about 63 US cents, so $2000*.63= $1260. I'm not sure what sort of taxes and tariffs you guys have to deal with, but $1200 seems really excessive. You can pick up a brand new Mini in the States for about $800.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 11-24-2008 at 01:51 PM.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoL View Post
Are these worth the while?

Do these prices seem about right?

Are you all gonna tell me to get some kind of AR 15?
1) - No, I don't personally believe the Mini is a worthwhile model.

2) - No, Matt's right. That price seems excessive unless it comes with optics and some other goodies ( extra mags, range bag, mouth hug )

3) - Um, well, for the money....

JD

Old 11-24-2008, 08:09 PM   #4

Personally I have 2 mini14s and I like them both a lot. One I have converted with a bullpup stock. Both are good plinkers and are accurate but I rarely shoot over 220 yards. Take it for what it is worth. $2000? Yikes you must have some import tariffs to satisfy the govt. I paid $500 for one and $600 for the Stainless with folding stock. Both used by excellent condition. I also have a 223 SL8 HK. Hk is super accurate but front heavy (heavy barrel) and hard to shoot from standing position. Thats all the personal experience I have. Good luck with your purchase.

Handgun of Choice-Sig X5 Competition
Rifle of Choice- FS2000

http://cueandcushion.com

Old 11-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I'm not sure what sort of taxes and tariffs you guys have to deal with, but $1200 seems really excessive. You can pick up a brand new Mini in the States for about $800.
It's less a case of taxes and tariffs than of oceans and distance. NZ is a long way from anywhere - even Australia - and everything has to be shipped in from a long distance away. It's also not the most lucrative market in the world, and nowhere nearly as consumer oriented as the US (except when it comes to electronic gear.) To give a baseline - when I was there in 2000, the NZ$ was right at 2:1 to the US$. A 6-pack of Budweiser was $18 NZ. Last spring a friend of mine in NZ and I both bought new Triumph Bonnevilles. She paid just about 50% more than I did (corrected for current exchange rates).

So, $1200 for a gun that costs $800 here is probably fairly consistent with other prices. There are still better guns for the money, though.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by argyle View Post
There are still better guns for the money, though.
No kidding! - I would rather be aggressively manhandled by Bobo the Idiot Circus Chimp than fork over that kind of money for a Mini-14.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #7

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have a Mini 14 stainless with the 16" barrel and I love it. It does exactly what it was designed to do. It's an excellent brush gun/varmint killer out to around 100yds. It's a quick shooter and has decent sights.

They get a bad rap because people want them to be target or assault rifles. They weren't designed for sustained fire either. They do what they were meant for very well.

It seems to me that price differential or not, an AR type rifle will serve you better and give you what you're looking for.

CA357

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-25-2008, 02:03 AM   #8
SoL

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you bloody bloody..

bloody NZ and its expensive american guns.

My friend just bought a Remmy 597 in 22wmr for $1200. and its basically a knob box. The 22wmr ruger 10/22 eqivalent would have been $900. And the remmington is just a flagrantly poor design and the magazine construction is bollocks. Could be that its not 'broken in' yet, still sucks.

We dont have coyotes or praire dogs here, it'll be many rabbits, possums, and goats. so its more of a pepper hun designed for shortish to medium range use in a VERY target rich environment, the remmy 597 heats up chronically in this application so im guessing a mini 14 wouldnt be prudent. damnit, i like em.

we dont have governemtn tarrifs or anything here, you just need to be licensed, then you are free to procure. But the gun trade being kinda monopolised by our "Gun City" brand can chage whatever the mack they want.

$9,999 for a bullpup steyr with a 10 round mag.
$4999 for a garand
$6999 for an m1 carbine,

that being said I can get .303s out the whazoo for about 70 - 80 bucks.

I'm a massive ruger 10/22 fan/convert. Granted it was my frist semi, but i still havent found a rimfire semi that tops it.

lousy new zealand :P ah well, at least we have shotguns without suppressor restrictions :P same with pistols, you just have to be licensed.

oh yeah we also get Norinco firearms, which are INCREDIBLY cheap (200 300 here) and very good performers. great value.

Last edited by SoL; 11-25-2008 at 02:04 AM. Reason: ammendment

Old 11-25-2008, 02:10 AM   #9
SoL

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

here, you can now see what im up against

http://www.guncity.co.nz

Old 11-25-2008, 03:41 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

One thing you might want to look into is a Norinco M305. It's a copy of an American M14. It looks like they sell in Canada for about $400 CDN, so you should be able to pick one up down there for about $550ish NZ.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 11-25-2008 at 03:54 AM.