Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   Ruger mini-14 .223 tactical (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/ruger-mini-14-223-tactical-20402/)

kodiak1973 06-15-2009 08:32 PM

Ruger mini-14 .223 tactical

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these:

Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifles & Mini Thirty Rifles*Autoloading*Rifle (M-14/20CF) Overview

I'm looking for a HD rifle as well as a nice range gun. I'd love some feedback on these.

Todd

Dillinger 06-15-2009 08:36 PM

Kodiak - Welcome to the Forum

This subject has kind of been beat to death. There are about 5 or 6 threads on this one lone gun I am afraid.

Basically, the concensus from many, including myself, is that the weapon isn't worth the money. Accuracy is a problem because of the Op Rod driven platform and the pencil thin barrel.

However, we have a strong, steadfast group who continue to champion the weapon and claim great accuracy. I think some of us are still waiting for the proof to be in that specific pudding. :D

The guys will be along shortly, I am sure....

JD

mrm14 06-15-2009 09:06 PM

Yeah the subject has been beaten to death here,but, the new 580 series will lay out 1-3/4 in. groups at 100 yards (1-3/4 moa). This is considerably better than the older 180 series version with it's pencil thin barrel.The mini-14 is a somewhat scaled down version of the Springfield M-14 / M1A. Generally a reliable action but has alot of harmonics by the nature of design that plays into the accuracy problems of this of this little rifle.

Still this is a good ranch type rifle and shoots good enough for minuet of coyote. It does what it is intended to do and will work well when it is quite dirty.

An AR type rifle being a gas impengiment type action will be more accurate out of the box than the mini, but IMO needs to be kept very clean compaired to the garand type action.

There are companies that can accurize these rifles for about the cost of what the mini-14 costs new. It all boils down to what you want to do with it and how much you are willing to spend.

If you are looking to put holes in holes at 100 yards the out of the box AR's wont even do that. If this is your desire then you should do that with a bolt action rifle anyway.

My 580 series mini-14 I bought last year is a good little rifle and hasn't give any problems to date and consistantly shoots 1-3/4" groups at 100 yards.

So theres my 2 cents worth.

kodiak1973 06-15-2009 09:14 PM

Sorry to start a new thread about something that's been beaten to death. I was just curious. I was thinking if I could pick one of these up used cheap it might not be a bad deal. Guess I'll reconsider and either look at saving up for an AR or something similar.

mrm14 06-15-2009 09:27 PM

I paid just under $800.00 for mine in 2008 new and I think it is a good little rifle. If you're looking to buy one of these used just make sure it's one of the newer 580 series Mini-14's.

DSAPT9 07-04-2009 02:15 AM

I have a NRA Mini 14 (580 series) and love it. I have had several Mini 14s over the years and yes if you got one to shoot a 3 in group it was a good one. But the new ones with the heavyer barrel is a lot better. I have shot 2 (3 shot) 3/4 groups at 100 but on average 1.5 to 1 3/4 with most ammo. Not a tack driver but good general purpose firearm. Mags are a bit pricey though.

All you want to know about the MINI 14
Ruger Mini-14 Talk - PerfectUnion BBS