Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > RiverRat68's mini shooting challenge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 924 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 1544

Alright, now you've got me curious. Where are the targets? How did you come out?

Old 06-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #52

Liked 2040 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Default 100 yard scope

ok, i counted out 30 rounds of my good stuff to throw 15 at each challenge. i had some leftover i used to sight in my scope (for the first time, my warne rings didn't hold zero ).

i always half load a 10 round mag, a suggestion from a great shooter. unfortunately, i loaded 1 mag with 6, and i had to finish my last group with irons using 1 umc round (which i shot later & was actually more accurate than i had given it credit for). i don't dump the first round, i have never had the dreaded first round flyer.

instead of giving up after a miss, i decided to follow through with all 5 rounds on each target. (ended up being bad stategy ).

even though i only hit all 5 on one target, i was overall pretty happy with my shooting! i shot my second sub moa (apx) group. and overall, my groups averaged sub 2" (scoped), which makes me a proud mini owner!

all my groups sizes were measured roughly with a tape measure. if 67 or steve want to plug it in their computer measuring system for groups, that would be great.

here are my scoped 100 yard groups. i only hit all 5 on 1 of the 3 targets, so i didn't beat the challenge this time around. but again, i feel pretty good about my mini's shooting. i just couldn't quite get my groups POI consistantly within the 2", almost always missing to the right. pretty darn sure this was my shooting.

in the end, i went 12 of 16 in the 2" scoped.

no doubt, i'll bust this up next time. in fact, looking forward to it!

Last edited by hawkguy; 06-17-2012 at 10:45 PM.
masterPsmith Likes This 
Old 06-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #53

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sure is hot here in Manteca Ca supposed to go over a 100 today. I just finished prepping sixty cases to shoot in the morning.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #54

Default 50 yards irons

ok, i am disappointed in my shooting with irons today. when i first started shooting a lot, i had trouble with scopes and felt more comfortable with irons...now, i feel a bit awkward with irons, go figure....

but what really irritates me is.... just a few weeks ago, i shoot with irons at 50 and did much better than this.....

it was pretty much just cover the dot and bang away for this. in the end i went a wimpy 5 of 15 with irons. 2 group sizes of about 2", and one around 3"...meh.

Last edited by hawkguy; 06-17-2012 at 11:10 PM.
masterPsmith Likes This 
Old 06-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 924 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 1544

Nice groups.

Your scoped groups were especially interesting. I noticed you had 2 shots touching 4 different times! Just out of curiosity were those shots in order? In other words did you fire twice and have two touch or was it a shot here, a shot there, and then another shot that touched the first one?

I'm asking because I've always been fascinated by non random things in shot groups (like stringing), and that doesn't look random. If it's not random then there is a special cause at work. If you could ever find that special cause I would think you could get your groups really really small. Of course it could be any number of things but that's an awful lot of touching bullets. Nice shooting!

Thanks for listing all the details.

Now for a rules clarification. I noticed that you said that you didn't beat the challenge. You put 5 shots in a 2" circle. I thought that qualified as beating the challenge? Or is the bar now higher because MasterP did it 3 times?

Old 06-18-2012, 02:07 AM   #56

Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Nice groups.

Your scoped groups were especially interesting. I noticed you had 2 shots touching 4 different times! Just out of curiosity were those shots in order? In other words did you fire twice and have two touch or was it a shot here, a shot there, and then another shot that touched the first one?

I'm asking because I've always been fascinated by non random things in shot groups (like stringing), and that doesn't look random. If it's not random then there is a special cause at work. If you could ever find that special cause I would think you could get your groups really really small. Of course it could be any number of things but that's an awful lot of touching bullets. Nice shooting!

Now for a rules clarification. I noticed that you said that you didn't beat the challenge. You put 5 shots in a 2" circle. I thought that qualified as beating the challenge? Or is the bar now higher because MasterP did it 3 times?
When hawkguy set the rules, it was for 5 shot groups on two separate targets. You could shoot all the targets you wanted to, but had to have two that qualified. I just wanted to challenge "myself" with three consecutive targets and only allowing myself 30 seconds per target with no break between targets. 5 rounds in 30 seconds is considered rapid fire in High Power competition, so I loaded 15 rounds in the mag and shot each target consecutively. You do not have to shoot the the challenge the way I did. I just have a habit of testing myself with everything I do.

Jim..........

Old 06-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #57

Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Hawkguy, you'll get it next time. Good shootin though.

Jim..........

Old 06-18-2012, 02:35 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Nice groups.

thanks, tlurker!

i can't recall exactly, but i know on several of my touching shots, that they were fired back to back. putting bullets on top of each other brings a to my face, even if i didn't beat the challenge.

it was bittersweet with the scope, cause i shot soo good in spots, then kinda blew it on others. what really stung was on my last target, i hit 4 out of 5 and missed the last shot! dammit! that's how it goes sometimes.

on irons, it just wasn't my day....

but the best part was just getting out & shooting. spent the rest of the time blasting some water bottles i brought along. good times!

Old 06-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
Hawkguy, you'll get it next time. Good shootin though.

Jim..........
thanks, masterp...like i said....just had a great time shooting today.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #60

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I just got back from shooting. I shot six different loads at 50 and a 100yd. I have a 197 series Ranch Rifle. I have changed the gas port bushing, installed front and rear buffers i made out of a vacuum cleaner belt, The only thing i did to the trigger is i heated one small spot on the trigger spring with a mini torch to soften the pull , added a AK74 style muzzle break, home made barrel strut, Fitted a M1 Carbine rear sight and installed a M16 trapdoor but plate. I was able to shoot the target under two inchs at a 100yd. I was not able to shoot the challenge target at 50yd with iron sights. I could not see the see the target. These are two pic i have in my phone. I will post more targets later my back is a mess i need to rest for a while.

This target was shot at 100yd with a scope with my hand loads. 53GR Hornady HP bullet 24.7gr IMR 4064. It is five shots.

These two targets were shot at 50yd with a scope they are both are 5 shot groups. The target on the left was shot with a 53gr Hornady HP bullet 24.6gr IMR4064, COL 2.260. The target on the right was shot with a 55gr Nosler BT bullet, 25gr H335, COL 2.260.

I thought i would be able shoot under two inches at 50ys. Maybe with a different target. My eyes are pretty bad.