RiverRat68's mini shooting challenge - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > RiverRat68's mini shooting challenge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I think I'll go out and shoot this morning to start out my birthday. Maybe my eyes will still do their job at 60........................

Jim.....

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 06-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #42

Liked 3149 Times on 1877 Posts
Likes Given: 2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
I think I'll go out and shoot this morning to start out my birthday. Maybe my eyes will still do their job at 60........................

Jim.....
sounds like a good way to start your day. happy birthday!

good luck, looking forward to your targets! i'm getting a long range trip for father's day tomorrow. i wasn't going to bring my mini, but in light of recent events......

i hope to post some targets on sunday.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #43

I really did not want to be the first one to post targets, but oh well. I finally got out about 7:30 and it was already past 80 degrees, clear skies and no wind. I set my targets up at a measured 50 yards. My Mini was sighted at 100 yards for a 6:00 hold on an 8" bull, so I had to re sight for the 2" bull at 50 yards, basically point of aim. I shot three targets, 5 rounds each using the bi-pod off the table. I allowed myself 30 seconds per target. There was no cool down time between targets. My Mini is a 186 Series with the mods listed in the Mini Accurizing section. The ammo used was, 1982 manufacture, Portugese 5.56 Nato 55gr surplus. I decided not to use any match ammo for this challenge. Below are photos of the range, rifle and targets. Not my best shooting, could be the ammo or it could be me on this day.

mini-1.jpg   mini-2.jpg   mini-3.jpg   mini-4.jpg  

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks
People Like This 
Old 06-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #44

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thumbs up

Nice Targets good shooting!

Old 06-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
I really did not want to be the first one to post targets, but oh well. I finally got out about 7:30 and it was already past 80 degrees, clear skies and no wind. I set my targets up at a measured 50 yards. My Mini was sighted at 100 yards for a 6:00 hold on an 8" bull, so I had to re sight for the 2" bull at 50 yards, basically point of aim. I shot three targets, 5 rounds each using the bi-pod off the table. I allowed myself 30 seconds per target. There was no cool down time between targets. My Mini is a 186 Series with the mods listed in the Mini Accurizing section. The ammo used was, 1982 manufacture, Portugese 5.56 Nato 55gr surplus. I decided not to use any match ammo for this challenge. Below are photos of the range, rifle and targets. Not my best shooting, could be the ammo or it could be me on this day.
nice! unless i am mistaken, these are steve's targets, and the red bull measures 2"?

if so......congrats, you SMOKED this challenge (3 for 3 correct?)! i love seeing great shooters and great shooting minis, this is what its all about.

well, let me know masterp. if the red is 2", then you beat the challenge and everyone in the challenge owes you a "like."

GREAT looking groups imo. i'm not sure i want to see your best shooting

i guess i'll be up next.....please wish me luck

Last edited by hawkguy; 06-16-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
nice! unless i am mistaken, these are steve's targets, and the red bull measures 2"?

if so......congrats, you SMOKED this challenge (3 for 3 correct?)! i love seeing great shooters and great shooting minis, this is what its all about.

well, let me know masterp. if the red is 2", then you beat the challenge and everyone in the challenge owes you a "like."

GREAT looking groups imo. i'm not sure i want to see your best shooting

i guess i'll be up next.....please wish me luck
Yes, they are the same targets. I thought I'd use them if others were going to.
On a good day, using my match loads, those would be my 100 yard groups.

Jim.........

Last edited by masterPsmith; 06-16-2012 at 10:32 PM.
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 06-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #47

ATTENTION ALL SHOOTERS: masterp beat the challenge & then some, going 3 for 3 with all shoots within the required 2 inches at 50 yards with irons.

there are currently 8 shooters includes master p, so we owe him 7 "LIKES" also, any other shooter that joins in must like his post as well.

put your "likes" on post 43 please.

great shooting, master p! and please keep shooting if you want to (maybe try 100?).

Last edited by hawkguy; 06-16-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1514 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 3289

Default Nice Shooting!!!

That was impressive with iron sights and surplus ammo. I definitely "liked" that one.

And MasterP thanks for doing the accurizing tips for the mini. I probably would have never got a mini had I not read those tips. Those tips let me know that the mini's accuracy could be improved if need be, and accuracy was my only concern about the mini. Now the mini has turned into one of my favorite rifles to shoot. Oh, and happy B-day!

Has anyone ever noticed that best people seem to be born in June?
(my b-day was last week)

Old 06-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
That was impressive with iron sights and surplus ammo. I definitely "liked" that one.

And MasterP thanks for doing the accurizing tips for the mini. I probably would have never got a mini had I not read those tips. Those tips let me know that the mini's accuracy could be improved if need be, and accuracy was my only concern about the mini. Now the mini has turned into one of my favorite rifles to shoot. Oh, and happy B-day!

Has anyone ever noticed that best people seem to be born in June?
(my b-day was last week)
A happy belated birthday to you. One of the main reasons I did that series was to show shooters just like you, that the Mini can be an accurate carbine and to quiet down some of the AR fanatics that love to bash Mini owners. Even though I have retired from full time gunsmithing, this is another way to help shooters with their Mini's.

I was invited over to THR from PU a couple of years ago to participate in an AR/MINI-14, 100 yard challenge and beat them at their own game. I noticed a lull in the Mini bashing for some time after that.

Anyway, I not only use FTF for my own enjoyment, I enjoy using it to help fellow shooters with any firearms related problems or questions they might have, whether it be open forum, PM, E-Mail or by phone.

Jim...........

Last edited by masterPsmith; 06-23-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #50

Default Batter up!

alright, got to spend about 3+ hours at the range today ! best fathers day gift i have gotten in awhile! spent some time on the challenge, also shooting my AR, ruger 22/45, and rossi ranch hand. just had a lot of fun at the range today.

ok, so here are some pics. my 580 SS ranch rifle. mods are: accu-strut, wilson 1911 front buffer, tourqued and evened gas block, changed to wood stock. at 100, she wears a redfield revolution 2-7 on QD rings.

next pic is my mini with my targets set up at 50 and 100 yards at the range.

ammo used in the challenge was hornady 53 & 55 grain v-max & 1 rem umc 55 grain (explained later). total 31 rounds in challenge.

i shot both 100 yards scoped and 50 yards w/ irons.

after the challenge, i shot up a bunch of bottles of water .

mini-580-ss.jpg   mini-100-range.jpg  

Last edited by hawkguy; 06-18-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typo