Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > RiverRat68's mini shooting challenge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2370 Times on 1384 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
I'm in! I will all 3 minis going hopefully and get them in 2"
awesome! good luck, tri!

Old 06-14-2012, 03:51 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Game On
Old 06-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #13

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Hey HAWKGUY,
JMO, a target with a 2" bull is not very appropriate for iron sights at 100 yards, you cannot get a proper sight picture at that range. It is fine for optics though. On another forum a few years back, I started a 2 MOA iron sight club for the Mini guys. To get a repeatably good sight picture with iron sights, we used a target with a 12" bull. At 100 yards, that 12" bull was the same width as the front sight blade in the sight picture.

Jim...........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 06-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67rschev View Post
Game On
oh, great. now i can't even finish 3rd in my own contest.

awesome 67! good to see you here.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
Hey HAWKGUY,
JMO, a target with a 2" bull is not very appropriate for iron sights at 100 yards, you cannot get a proper sight picture at that range. It is fine for optics though. On another forum a few years back, I started a 2 MOA iron sight club for the Mini guys. To get a repeatably good sight picture with iron sights, we used a target with a 12" bull. At 100 yards, that 12" bull was the same width as the front sight blade in the sight picture.

Jim...........
having recently shot with irons at 100 yards, i know you're right. and yeah, some pretty large targets look rather small at that disatnce. its something i didn't think about. 2" is definately too small to see well.

what should i do to modify the challenge? adjust the distance to 50 yards for irons? i have shot at 2"-3" bulls from 50 with some good success with irons (splatter or bright targets help). if a larger target is appropriate, that would be ok as well i would think.

i definately would like you (and others who prefer irons) in this challenge. please help me figure out the appropiate adjustment to make the challenge fair. anyone who shoots at these distances with irons, please provide input.

thanks

Last edited by hawkguy; 06-14-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #16

Actually, staying at 100 yards with irons would be fine. Just need to use a target with a larger bull for an aim point. The bull could be anywhere from 8" to 12" and should be shooter's choice. All we are trying to do is shoot our best group or groups. Another thing to consider with optics is the magnification of the scope the shooter is using. Some may have low power scopes and others may have high end, high magnification scopes. To be fair to optics users, a 4" bull may be in order at 100 yards. As an example, on my heavy barrel Sako A11 in .243, I can go up to 24 power. At 100 yards using a 2" bull on 16 power, I can shoot a 1/4" group, but on 6 power using the same 2" bull, sight picture is not as precise and my groups open up a bit. Leveling the field with. a larger bull for optics and irons, I think would be better for for everyone. What we don't want is to have potential shooters shy away and not shoot when they see someone post some super groups. I think that happened over on the other forum when I introduced the 2 MOA iron sight club challenge. This should be made a fun challenge for all involved.

Jim...............

Last edited by masterPsmith; 06-14-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #17

Another thing that should be required are photos of the rifle used, any mods listed, ammo used and targets. It should all be included in the post.

Jim.........

Old 06-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Actually, staying at 100 yards with irons would be fine. Just need to us a target with a larger bull for an aim point. The bull could be anywhere from 8" to 12" and should be shooter's choice. All we are trying to do is shoot our best group or groups. Another thing to consider with optics is the magnification of the scope the shooter is using. Some may have low power scopes and others may have high end, high magnification scopes. To be fair to optics users, a 4" bull may be in order at 100 yards. As an example, on my heavy barrel Sako A11 in .243, I can go up to 24 power. At 100 yards using a 2" bull on 16 power, I can shoot a 1/4" group, but on 6 power using the same 2" bull, sight picture is not as precise and my groups open up a bit. Leveling the field with. a larger bull for optics and irons, I think would be better for for everyone. What we don't want is to have potential shooters shy away and not shoot when they see someone post some super groups. I think that happened over on the other forum when I introduced the 2 MOA iron sight club challenge. This should be made a fun challenge for all involved.

Jim...............
well, i absolutely want ALL shooters to feel comfortable in shooting the challenge. this is why posters get a "like" for just attempting the challenge. no one is going to make fun of anyone's shooting here. if they did, i'm certain myself and others would correct that.

as far as leveling the playing field....i'm not sure how that is even possible. i already know i don't shoot as well as at least 4 other posters that have accepted the challenge (already...i'm at the bottom...lol). some people will have target minis, some will have better irons sight systems, some have minis that just plain shoot better, some have better scopes, some posters are better marksmen than other.....do you see my point?

in the end, any challenge i issue will be for one sole purpose. to get posters shooting and talking about their shooting.

AND imo, this contest is not all about the groups. its also about marksmanship and POI staying consistent (which can be hard for a mini & the shooter).

i joked around, but this challenge won't be easy for me at all. it will likely take me several tries. heck, i never beat any shooting challenge on another forum, but i had fun trying.

i will also admit, that i was completely wrong about the irons. iron sight shooting is more challenging than scope shooting at distances for obvious reasons. i can't even see a 2" bull at 100 yards. it was an oversight on my part.

to be consistent, i would still like to see iron sighted shooters have to hit the target all 5 times. my thought at this time is a 3" target (or bull) at 50 yards for iron sights with the same requirements. choose your own target as long as all 5 shots hit or touch the 3". sounds kinda doable to me? i will even shoot for this challenge as well. are you in, masterp?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Another thing that should be required are photos of the rifle used, any mods listed, ammo used and targets. It should all be included in the post.

Jim.........
completely agree! in the first post i did request that the shooter post pics of the targets. i also started that they should list mods and ammo choices/loads. i hope it will be a great learning experience for all this way.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #20

Default deleted post

deleted post

Last edited by hawkguy; 06-14-2012 at 08:42 PM.