RiverRat68's mini shooting challenge - Page 15
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum >

RiverRat68's mini shooting challenge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #141
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3248 Times on 1941 Posts
Likes Given: 2347

Default deleted

deleted post...sorry. see previous post.

Last edited by hawkguy; 07-12-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #142

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I measured my targets they are 2 3/16 now i know how Berry Bonds feels. Why not just keep the target for the rest of the challenge. On the second challenge you can change the target if you want. This is just a friendly shoot anyhow.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51colt View Post
I measured my targets they are 2 3/16 now i know how Berry Bonds feels. Why not just keep the target for the rest of the challenge. On the second challenge you can change the target if you want. This is just a friendly shoot anyhow.
3/16, 1/4 of an inch isn't anything to worry about imo. this is not a professional competition....like you said, its friendly shooting.

all shooters who beat the challenge, their results stand. this wasn't anyone's fault, it was just a oversight.

and i wouldn't compare yourself to barry bonds unless you found a mystery "lotion" you rubbed on your arms to make you shoot better......wait....is it time for me to implement random testing?

and again, no one has to use the this particular target (stated in the orginal rules). but if they want to use it from this point on, just make the adjustment to your printer.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #144

Default OK.....

take a look at what difference 1/4" meant to my target...nothing!

i shot my second qualifying target with the 2" spot next to my first target(my first target measured apx 2.25).

NOW....look at the second pic with the 2" dot covering the target i used for the first (the target colt, steve, and masterp used as well). first, note the TINY difference between the targets. next, notice that my group was still easily in the 2". so unless your shot barely touched the outer edge of this orginal target, you still beat the challenge fair and square. and even if you did get a "barely touching" shot, the difference is just too little for me to worry about.

imo, this is nothing to worry about. unless y'all have a serious problem with it, all targets/results stand. if you personally want to re-shoot for yourself......go for it....another excuse to shoot!
target-comparison.jpg   target-comparison-2.jpg  

Last edited by hawkguy; 07-12-2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: add text

Old 07-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #145
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1963 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 4435

I don't think anyone here cares if a target doesn't measure exactly 2 inches, and I know that I don't care. This about getting your mini to shoot its best, learning from others, and most of all having fun!

Great shooting all, but we are going to have to put an asterisk by your names. (LOL)

Old 07-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #146

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2032 Times on 1124 Posts
Likes Given: 6091

I'm sure not ready to post any of my targets yet.
I did identify a problem however. I can't see very well through my peep sights any longer.
When my cheek hits the weld, I am looking over the top of my spectacles, thus no vision correction.

So, it's hard to see that fuzzy dot over that fuzzy post.
4 " maybe, (but certainly not 2") at 50 yds.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #147
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 120 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Wink Use me as a sounding board!!

After reading 14 pages on this Mini-14 challenge, my curosity has peeked at its highest. Now, I work with a retired police officer who at one time was an armorer for NYPD, also armorer for Metro Police here in Las Vegas, also in CIS here in Vegas. I have been taking special note of the comments made about the 5th round flyers, possably being caused by the magazine. Please give me some hypothetical ways the magazine causes a 5th round flyer. After several conversations with my co-worker, neither of us can make a connection, since when the 5th round (or any other round) is chambered, it is no longer in physical contact with the magazine. I get flyers as we all do, but I have not noticed them being the last round. Tomorrow I'm shooting for the challenge so I won't have time, but when I do have time, I'm going to shoot 25 or more rounds using my 5 round Ruger Magazine, loaded 1 round at a time. I'll have a friend on my spotting scope,marking the hits in a notebook. so I'll know just where the flyers are coming from and when. Should prove interesting.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #148

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat68 View Post
After reading 14 pages on this Mini-14 challenge, my curosity has peeked at its highest. Now, I work with a retired police officer who at one time was an armorer for NYPD, also armorer for Metro Police here in Las Vegas, also in CIS here in Vegas. I have been taking special note of the comments made about the 5th round flyers, possably being caused by the magazine. Please give me some hypothetical ways the magazine causes a 5th round flyer. After several conversations with my co-worker, neither of us can make a connection, since when the 5th round (or any other round) is chambered, it is no longer in physical contact with the magazine. I get flyers as we all do, but I have not noticed them being the last round. Tomorrow I'm shooting for the challenge so I won't have time, but when I do have time, I'm going to shoot 25 or more rounds using my 5 round Ruger Magazine, loaded 1 round at a time. I'll have a friend on my spotting scope,marking the hits in a notebook. so I'll know just where the flyers are coming from and when. Should prove interesting.
Your Ruger mag may shoot well my Mini shoots better if i load 6 rounds in my 10 round pro mag and dump the first round than if use my five round Ruger mag. My Ruger 5 round is my least accurate mag.
Good Luck,

Last edited by 51colt; 07-13-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #149
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 120 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 37

51, I also have seen examples of that. What we are trying to figure out is WHY???? Is it the follower, or the spring tension or what?? I have 18 20 round mags and 4 30 round mags and 1 Ruger 5 round mag. All of my mags except the 5 round are Pro-Mags and work perfectly after I smoothed off the inside edge of each lip both right and left sides,where they roll in toward the center of the mag. Just looking for answers!!

Old 07-13-2012, 01:54 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51colt View Post
Your Ruger mag may shoot well my Mini shoots better if i load 6 rounds in my 10 round pro mag and dump the first round than if use my five round Ruger mag. My Ruger 5 round is my least accurate mag.
Good Luck,
first round flyer is a fairly common problem for several mini owners, many saying their first round is consistantly 3-4" off the rest. there have been MANY theories as to why some minis have this problem. i lucked out and have never had the first round flyer problem. i do get occasional flyers that are about 1-2" off good groups at times, but i have never been able to discover a pattern, it is pretty much random. and my flyers have never been WAY out there, just a bit off..but certainly enough to keep my mini out of the famous MOA club. of course, i refuse to believe it could be my shooting.

another poster said he always loaded a 20 or 10 round mag with only 5 rounds, i think believing the reduced spring tension was a benefit to accuracy. he shot so good, i have done the same for awhile...but...i still don't shoot as good as him....

5th round flyer is a new one. i can't help but believe the mag is responsible in some way..... i have seen steve's gun shoot before, and it CLEANED another shooting challege, which was much more difficult than my challenge.