RiverRat68's mini shooting challenge - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > RiverRat68's mini shooting challenge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #111
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1228 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 2474

Nice shooting Steve. by both of you!!!

And that fifth round flier does look awful suspicious.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #112

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I went and looked a round at photo bucket and found a pic of a old target i shot years a go. I would shoot targets like this all the time it made me so crazy i stopped shooting my Mini and started shooting black powder rifles. I shot this target at a 100yd with a scope. At the time the scope was a 25.00 Walmart BSA 4x. Good scope it is on my 10-22 now.

Last edited by 51colt; 07-01-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #113
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1228 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 2474

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
thanks for showing us your stuff, tlurker. always good to get out and shoot, isn't it?

that upper left group was pretty sick. seems like you found what your mini likes, so i imagine you'll be cleaning up next time.

i HATE it when you are shooting & getting flyers and then after awhile you figure out your scope rings came loose. that happened with my first red dot, and thought it was either broken or i didn't know how to use it. then i notice my scope wobbling around....

what QD rings do you have? i have warne QD's and they have never shook loose....my ruger rings however.... but, my warne's did lose zero last time i shot, which was disappointing. they had held zero almost precisely the last 3-4 times i removed and replaced my scope. this last time i shot it was off about 3-4" high and i had to re zero ah, well....

thanks for the update. sounds like you were just experimenting and dialing in. did you make any 5-shot targets? how many attempts total?
I had UTG rings...I know, you get what you pay for.

I've been playing with the rings and rail, and I still haven't found a set-up I'm happy with for the scope. I want a good side mount (preferably a quick disconnect with absolute zero return) so that I can use my iron sights and remove the scope for cleaning. But, like my great grandpa use to say, "people in hell want ice water, but that don't mean they get it." A friend has the B-square side mount, but I was not impressed with it. And to be honest, I just don't like B-square products. I had a bad experience with the mount they made for the FN-49's (it's a POS). I think I'm just going to give up and go back to the standard Ruger rings?

I was primarily playing with the set-up and loads, and I didn't have any five shot groups on target. I had some groups with factory ammo that were tight, but too far off target. As for attempts I never got my zero close enough for an attempt, but to be perfectly honest I would have claimed any that fell in there - so in that regard I made multiple attempts.

It was a great time though and I accomplished a lot. I hate those trips when you end up leaving wondering "what happened?". I left thinking "I can't wait to get back!".

And my buddy and I both were impressed with the groups he got out of his tactical mini. I was really surprised by the accuracy out of that little gun.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #114

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have had good luck with Ruger rings and Weaver see-threw rings as long as i use lock tight.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #115
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1755 Times on 976 Posts
Likes Given: 5315

My home range is set for 25 and 100 yds. My 183- is factory peep.
Guess I have a choice of options. 100 yd's with irons or create the 50 yd backstop ! Yes.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #116

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You lucky dog you have a your own range. Post some targets and show your handy work. My Nephew has ten acres we have a little makeshift range for shooting my black powder revolvers. We are hoping to build a good rifle range this year.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #117

Liked 2851 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 1877

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I had UTG rings...I know, you get what you pay for.

I've been playing with the rings and rail, and I still haven't found a set-up I'm happy with for the scope. I want a good side mount (preferably a quick disconnect with absolute zero return) so that I can use my iron sights and remove the scope for cleaning. But, like my great grandpa use to say, "people in hell want ice water, but that don't mean they get it." A friend has the B-square side mount, but I was not impressed with it. And to be honest, I just don't like B-square products. I had a bad experience with the mount they made for the FN-49's (it's a POS). I think I'm just going to give up and go back to the standard Ruger rings?

I was primarily playing with the set-up and loads, and I didn't have any five shot groups on target. I had some groups with factory ammo that were tight, but too far off target. As for attempts I never got my zero close enough for an attempt, but to be perfectly honest I would have claimed any that fell in there - so in that regard I made multiple attempts.

It was a great time though and I accomplished a lot. I hate those trips when you end up leaving wondering "what happened?". I left thinking "I can't wait to get back!".

And my buddy and I both were impressed with the groups he got out of his tactical mini. I was really surprised by the accuracy out of that little gun.
i would highly recommend the warne QD rings for the mini....i think they are exactly what you are looking for. with the exception of my last time shoting (elevation was off), they held zero right on the money, after taking them on & off many times. they come on & off in seconds, for switching to irons or cleaning. the only downside is they are on the pricey side between 80-100 per set. so far, worth it imo.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:32 AM   #118

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

We were shooting and taking pictures of targets with my cell phone. We were in the middle of sighting in the Bushnell scope when the Sheriff payed us a visit. He and I talked about shooting on county land and he went on his way. While I was talking to him my son continued to shoot and take pictures with His phone. I was not aware that he had this target group. He was not sure if the flier was the last round or not, but if it was, that would be three for three. Interesting, doncha think.

Last edited by steve4102; 07-02-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #119

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Very interesting Steve, I agree about getting a 10 rd mag and load 6 or shoot 4 and drop the 5 rd and add another.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #120
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 120 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Smile Count me in!!!

I'm shooting 580 Series Mini-14 with the following: buffers, fore and aft, Vortex flashhider, Har-Bar, extended mag. release, Shooters Ridge bi-pod, trigger job by the Gun Doc, and a Aetec 4 X 14 scope by Simmons mounted with Ruger rings, with flip up lens caps. Several months ago I changed bullets that I was using, the new ones are a 64 gr. PSP bonded boat tail bullet by Speer. I'm in the process now of the final stages of fine tuning the Mini, scope and load. Formerly I was using a 65 gr. Spitzer Boat Tail bullet by Sierra, LC or RORG brass, WSR primers , and 25.5 gr.'s of H4895, loaded to a COAL of 2.235+/-. I got great results from this load, but there was very little weight retention with the Sierra bullets for hunting. With the PSP 64 gr. Bonded bullets there is about 95 % weight retention. Test fired both into 5 soggy telephone books at 100 yards. Penetration with the PSP bullets was about 1-1/2 inches more that the Sierra bullets. Just for kicks, I shot 50 rounds at 200 yards, (PSP) and was amazed at the groups I got. (3-3.5 in.) I'm fortunate enough to be able to go to our gun club weekly, if I can tolerate the 100+ temp. and the afternoon wind, which has been very bad lately.
Plan on going to the range this coming Monday, 7/9.

mini-14-wood-stock-005.jpg  

Last edited by RiverRat68; 07-07-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Attach Pic