RiverRat68's mini shooting challenge - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > RiverRat68's mini shooting challenge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2846 Times on 1685 Posts
Likes Given: 1869

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51colt View Post
kawkguy, I think more will post targets when they get a chance. With family's, work and life it can be hard for guys to get out and shoot as much as they like. For me it is easy i am retired so i spend most of my days tinkering with my guns, loading ammo, shooting or siting by some mud puddle cat fishing. When my body permits it. I try to get out as much as i can because they say one of these days i am going to be in a powder chair.
who you callin Kawkguy, punk?

you are totally right, 51....we just need to be patient.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #92

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Mr HawkGuy, I was not calling you anything! He he I to would like to see more targets from people having fun shooting shooting these guns we all enjoy shooting so much. Like you i am just trying to be patient.

Last edited by 51colt; 06-28-2012 at 12:59 AM.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:06 AM   #93

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51colt View Post
kawkguy, I think more will post targets when they get a chance. With family's, work and life it can be hard for guys to get out and shoot as much as they like. For me it is easy i am retired so i spend most of my days tinkering with my guns, loading ammo, shooting or siting by some mud puddle cat fishing. When my body permits it. I try to get out as much as i can because they say one of these days i am going to be in a powder chair.
Sounds just like me !!!!!!!!!!!

Jim.......

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #94

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post

however, knowing them from another forum.....steve, tri, and 67 (if he shows up again?)....will shoot when they get the chance. just give it a bit more time
Sorry guys , sometimes life ( 4 daughters and a wife ) get in the way of all my fun , not to mention I have WAY too many hobbies . Been helping friends move some belongings and livestock , been a rough couple weeks here in the Mile High state . All of my shooting hobby time has been focused elsewhere , load development , practice and such .

I'll get out there with the Mini again , but not for a few more weeks . Here is my targets from the last time the Ole girl was out last year . Close but no cigar . 2 of 5 , now just to find 2 more . 1.094 MOA average

Last edited by 67rschev; 06-28-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #95

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Be safe 67, we are keeping everyone in our prayers and the much needed rain.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67rschev View Post
Sorry guys , sometimes life ( 4 daughters and a wife ) get in the way of all my fun , not to mention I have WAY too many hobbies . Been helping friends move some belongings and livestock , been a rough couple weeks here in the Mile High state . All of my shooting hobby time has been focused elsewhere , load development , practice and such .

I'll get out there with the Mini again , but not for a few more weeks . Here is my targets from the last time the Ole girl was out last year . Close but no cigar . 2 of 5 , now just to find 2 more . 1.094 MOA average
[IMG][/IMG]
4 daughters? you could have stopped there, my friend! and to think i ever dared make excuses about my rugrats!

we'll patiently wait for your targets. i doubt i want to see how well you'll do anyway......

Old 06-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #97
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 2450

Default Ok!

Ok, I finally made it to the range, but I didn't beat the challenge (this time). Still it was a great trip, and very productive.

I started with some factory ammo just to get the scope on paper and then on target. Shot groups were good and I started to try the challenge with factory ammo, but I had three different hand loads that I couldn't wait to try. Plus I had three loads for the .303 to try and a .22 that me and friend just finished building for another friend that is no longer with us. Needless to say it was a busy trip.

I had 10 rounds of each load. My plan was to use 5 to zero the rifle for that load and the remaining 5 for the challenge.

The first load (24.5g Accurate 2460 w/ 55gr. Speer Hot Core) wouldn't cycle the action. I added an adjustable gas block and had it set for factory ammo. That load was obviously lower than factory. After three rounds I gave the remaining rounds to my buddy to run through his mini tactical. Group wasn't great.

The second load was the same as the first but with 25g of powder. The first load was primarily just to check that load and make sure it wasn't too hot. So it was on the week side intentionally. The second load didn't cycle the first round, but it did fine after that. I was having a hard time seeing my groups and zeroing it and so I went down to check my target after the first five. Group was decent but not on target. I also bit the bullet and put up a shoot 'n see to make this a little easier. I made an adjust and fired 2 at the shoot n' see. They were close to center and high. I made an adjustment fired the last three and was still off, and group wasn't very good.

Then I went to the third load (25g IMR 4064 w/ 55gr Speer Hot Core). The first shot was low right and it didn't cycle the action. I went ahead and fired the next four without making any changes. They cycled just fine, and the group was absolutely outstanding. I then fired the next 5 and my group fell apart. Groups don't normally just fall apart like that and so I started checking things out. Scope was loose. I was pretty much out of time by then and I was out of reloads.

mini-target-6.30.12.jpg
mini-target-close.jpg
(those are 1/2" squares)

I didn't beat the challenge but it was a great trip to the range, and I learned a lot. The adjustable gas block was really sensitive to changing loads, but did fine after the first round. That sensitivity also made a big difference in POI. My loads are still a little week compaired to factory loads. My mini loves IMR 4064. The shoot n' sees are the way to go when your eyes just aren't quite as sharp as they use to be. And I need to spend some serious time playing with my new quick detach rings!!!!

580 series with Hogue stock, adjustable gas block, rod, Wag. rail, and Burris 3x9x40 E1.

mini-6.30.12.jpg

Now I've got some bullets to load up!!!!!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #98

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

It looks like you may have a good load for you rifle once you get the scope secured. That is what makes shooting fun! Good place to start and next trip you can nail the challenge!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-01-2012, 02:54 AM   #99

thanks for showing us your stuff, tlurker. always good to get out and shoot, isn't it?

that upper left group was pretty sick. seems like you found what your mini likes, so i imagine you'll be cleaning up next time.

i HATE it when you are shooting & getting flyers and then after awhile you figure out your scope rings came loose. that happened with my first red dot, and thought it was either broken or i didn't know how to use it. then i notice my scope wobbling around....

what QD rings do you have? i have warne QD's and they have never shook loose....my ruger rings however.... but, my warne's did lose zero last time i shot, which was disappointing. they had held zero almost precisely the last 3-4 times i removed and replaced my scope. this last time i shot it was off about 3-4" high and i had to re zero ah, well....

thanks for the update. sounds like you were just experimenting and dialing in. did you make any 5-shot targets? how many attempts total?

Old 07-01-2012, 03:25 AM   #100

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Sounds like a good day at the range. Thats what it's all about.

Jim.......

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks