Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Rifle stocks for the minis...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Default Rifle stocks for the minis...

What type of stocks do you like? I love the wood walnut stocks but have been using the Hogue for the all weather use. I also noticed some have a straight butt pad and some curved, I don't know if that makes much difference.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have Ruger all weather stock i really need to bed it. I have been looking at the Hogue stock for a long time now. Every time i get ready buy one i buy reloading components insted.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 926 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 1545

I had the factory birch stock, but the balance just didn't feel right. Actually it balanced about like a dumbbell. So I just added a Hogue stock to lighten up the but end, and it feels a lot better now. I definitely prefer wood, but I had to make an exception in this case. I have no idea what it's going to for accuracy yet (good or bad), but I would go back to wood only if it hurts accuracy.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #4

I've had the factory plastic stock, a couple of the Revolution Explorer laminate stocks http://www.revolutionstocks.com/rugerstocks/rugermini14-30stocks.php, and a Hogue stock on two different Minis.
I really like the look of the Explorer laminate stocks, and kept the one I have on my Mini-14 Target Model. I sold the brown laminate stock I'd had on a 16" SS Mini-14 and went back to the factory black plastic, solely for the sake of weight reduction. Photos attached of the Target Model which still has the laminate stock, and the 16" SS Mini in both stocks. With the Target Model I really don't care about the extra 1+ lb as it is really just a bench rest rifle at least for me.
As for the Hogue stock, I just hated the feel of the thing. And according to folks who've been down that path, the Hogue stock is the harderst one to bed because of what it's made of.
Unfortunately I never had a Ruger factory wood stock of any kind to compare to the others. But to for a basic all purpose carbine the factory black plastic stock has a lot going for it.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #5

Nice looking rifle set ups! Glad you made it!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-29-2012, 01:15 AM   #6

I had some self inflicted problems with my Target Model for a while, but once I got it dialed in, it is a great shooter.
The 16" Mini was sold recently. Going to get something else. Either a Mini-30 or an 300 AAC AR. Haven't decided. Really like Minis though.

Last edited by myname; 06-29-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: fix typo

Old 06-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #7

Liked 2040 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

myname, nice looking stocks on those minis!

i love the variety you can get from a mini by just changing out the stocks.

i'm a SUCKER for the factory folders, but i've never been able to convince myself to drop the coin on one of those. i do think they're probably the coolest mini stocks imo. i really wish a company would step up and make a wood stock folder again.

next to that, i'm all about wood and steel. as soon as i got my mini in its plastic stock, i knew that wasn't going to last very long!

lucked out and picked up a pretty nice wood stock form numrich for $38! and since i never tested it, i can't prove it....but i think my wood stock helped accuracy as it is a VERY tight fit.

only problem, i get mad every time i scratch it!

Old 06-29-2012, 04:41 AM   #8

That is nice Hawk! My Dad makes custom furniture and has made a stock or two, he loves walnut wood. It would be great to find programmable cutter to make stocks for the mini 14/30.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As it is modeled after a military rifle, I tend to keep it looking like it's name-sake, plus i like the feel of wood....

Here is mine with the stock refinished by hand and wood upper and another shot with the source of the inspiration:

Old 06-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #10

I wonder what it would take to set up a programmable cutting machine? With 3d printing, they can scan an itme with lasers and then build up a perfect copy from laying down repetitive think layers of thermo plastic with nozzels similar to ink jet nozzles, till they build up a 3D replica. The 3D printing process isn't useful for making wood gun stocks, but I'd think the laser scanning part of the equipment could be used to measure and existing stock to make a virtual model for some type of CNC woodworking equipment to carve with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
That is nice Hawk! My Dad makes custom furniture and has made a stock or two, he loves walnut wood. It would be great to find programmable cutter to make stocks for the mini 14/30.