Removing Front Sight.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum >

Removing Front Sight.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 04:54 AM   #1
MrB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Removing Front Sight.

I have a 182 series Mini 14, I had to have the barrel replaced because it was damaged. The barrel I got was a stock stainless steel barrel with the front sight already installed.

Once the barrel was installed the front sight was canted to the left a little.
I wanted to replace the front sight anyway, so its no big deal. What I need to know is, is removing the factory front sight easy to do once to remove the roll pin holding it in place ?.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2015, 11:54 AM   #2

Liked 299 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 204

I have taken off several of the old fat blade front sights on older Mini's and replaced them with either the new style winged front sight or a front sight/flash hider combo like the Choate. After removing the roll pin, I get a piece of hardwood, like a foot long oak 1x2 or 1x4 and place it against the front sight and smack the other end of the wood with a hammer. The sights are tight but gradually start moving towards the muzzle.
If you want to retain the front sight you have that is canted, you will have to remove the roll pin, straighten the front sight and check by firing a few rounds ( make sure your rear sight is centered first) and re-drill the roll pin slot at the new position.

Last edited by sandog; 10-08-2015 at 11:56 AM.
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 10-10-2015, 06:17 AM   #3
MrB

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I ordered a Choate winged front sight/flash hider combo, so its no big deal if the original front sight gets damaged when its removed, I don`t plan on using it again.

Is it fairly easy to install the Choate front sight, once the original sight is removed ?.
Can I use a piece of wood and tap it on the barrel until its seated in place ?.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5781 Times on 3862 Posts
Likes Given: 2994

I've done similar jobs on other rifles. Spray with Break Free first, let it soak in. The less you whack the better - if there is an accuracy problem down the road, you'll know you did not cause it

Old 10-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #5

Liked 1018 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 277

If you clamp the barrel in a vise the process will be much easier and less chance damage to the gun/barrel.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4109 Times on 2101 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Has anyone tried applying heat to the front sight? Expand it and it should come off easier.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:00 PM   #7

The Choate goes on fairly easy, a lot less tight than the factory sight was to get off. Once you get it on, you want to ensure that the front sight is dead vertical before drilling the roll pin slots. What I did was 1) get it as straight up as the eyeball allows. Crank the set screw on the bottom of the Choate down tight so it leaves a mark on the bottom of your barrel. Remove the Choate and drill a small dimple where the set screw left a mark. Replace the Choate and tighten the set screw into that dimple you drilled. This will allow you to go to the range and fire a few shots to check zero. Before long the flash hider will fly off, mine did at about shot 18. You can fire enough to make certain the front sight isn't tilted, if it is, you will use up all your windage trying to get the Mini zeroed. So, once you are sure the front sight is pretty straight up, go home and drill the new roll pin slots. I used a friend's small hobby milling machine (SherLine). If you have to do it my hand with a drill it will be more difficult but not impossible. You will be able to look down the drill to see if the bit looks level, maybe have someone else to the side to watch that your bit is not tilted that way.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:57 AM   #8
MrB

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

The new choate front sight was in the mail when I got home from work today, so I decided to see if I could install it myself.

I was expecting a hard time getting the factory front sight off, but once I knocked out the roll pin it came off the barrel with just a few tap using a punch and a hammer

Installing the choate front sight was really easy, just remove the set screw and use a block of wood to tap it onto the barrel and tighten down the set screw.

For right now I have the choate front sight held in place with just the set screw with blue Loctite on it. Once I can get out and do some shooting with it and get it lined up properly I will take my rifle to my local gunsmith so he can drill the barrel for the roll pin.
People Like This 
Old 10-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10459 Times on 5567 Posts
Likes Given: 22321

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1444819726.080227.jpg .

Old 10-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #10

Glad it's working out. I would still drill a small dimple under the set screw. The problem isn't the set screw working loose, it is going to launch the Choate in just a couple of shots with just having the set screw touching the barrel. You might need to fire a dozen or more to determine if the sight is not canted.