Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Red dot scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 04:48 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Picked up a Vortex Strikefire red dot tonight. Very nice piece and comes with the mount and a 2x multiplier for about $170. Putting it on a M14 with a scout mount, and will probably try it out on a sporterized Mosin-Nagant with a scout mount. I think it would be a natural on a Mini-14.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-strikefire-red-dot-scope-for-ar15

Old 02-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

i think the field of vision is very decent myself. you just leave both eyes open and this optic works great. but it is a red dot (not a holographic, which would cost 3-4 times as much), so you need to maintain your cheek weld for it to work well. the scope is also available in 30mm which probably would increase your field of view somewhat. being the cheapo i am, i just went with 1" cause it fit my free ruger rings.

for the $, i think its hard to beat. and if you are able to prevent buying a rail, etc., then the savings just add up. for the budget minded, it is a good option imo.
Thank you. I was just curious as I've never used one. I'm all about RDS, one on every semi auto I own except the Rem 1100. Even have one for the M&P9 but it needs milled.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-19-2012, 02:52 AM   #23

How much weight does the scout mount add up front? Is it very noticeable? I'm not too keen on ruining the excellent balance of my mini....

Old 03-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It adds maybe a few ounces. I would say it isn't noticible until you mount optics, then it varies by what you mount and where.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:01 AM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The Aimpoint H1 is 3oz. I imagine the mount is similar in weight.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."