Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Red dot scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah I seen that scout rail I'm kinda of diggin it.. Maybe that with a decent red dot scope would be nice..way easier to do a field strip..thanks for the info!

Old 02-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I got a weaver mount on amazon that mounts on the scallop cuts.

Then mounted a vortex sparc CQB red dot. Reasonable price good quality. Brownells has a review on their website.

Good combo.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #13

Liked 2303 Times on 1349 Posts
Likes Given: 1465

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieboots View Post
So it sounds like its not gonna be cheap to do this..
it doesn't HAVE to be crazy expensive, but it certainly can be.

when i decided to get into a red dot, i didn't want to spend a fortune on something i might not like.

i ended up with a millet SP1 red dot. i actually got a used one for $25, and i bought a new one which will cost about $70 or so. it will work fine on standard ruger 1" RINGS. it is a 3moa and it works great for me out to about 50 yards, beyond that (for me) it might as well be irons. it really does work well for quick shots.

i am satisfied with it for the price. hard to find quality inexpensive ones that will work on your ruger rings.

in the mini gallery, i have a pic of it on my mini. hope this helps!

Last edited by hawkguy; 02-14-2012 at 01:09 AM.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #14

ok....here is my silver millet SP1 on my mini.

i also have a black one, which i think looks a bit better.

sp1-red-dot.jpg  

Old 02-15-2012, 04:07 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

@Hawkguy that looks really good on your mini! Where can I pick one up like that and how much?

Old 02-15-2012, 04:32 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
@Hawkguy that looks really good on your mini! Where can I pick one up like that and how much?
I wonder how good vision would be w/ such a narrow lense.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #17

Quote:
http://swfa.com/Millett-1x-SP-1-Electronic-Red-Dot-Sight-P9260.aspx

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/846795/millett-red-dot-sight-30mm-tube-1x-5-moa-dot-with-weaver-style-rings-matte?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Optics+-+Red+Dot+%26+Holographic+Sights-_-PriceCompListing-_-846795

there's a couple of links. both swfa and midway are good to go (i have bought from both with great results).

mine is the 1" tube with 3MOA dot. but there are several varieties available. i went with the 1" because of my ruger rings. about $70-80 is the norm for the SP1.

i think the millet is a great red dot at the price point. but i will openly admit i am not an expert in the field of red dots. i use my millet to practice quick shots on objects at short range, and imo it works very well for that. as for ruggedness, i can't testify. i have only put a few hundred rounds through my mini with the red dot on it. so far...so good.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I wonder how good vision would be w/ such a narrow lense.
i think the field of vision is very decent myself. you just leave both eyes open and this optic works great. but it is a red dot (not a holographic, which would cost 3-4 times as much), so you need to maintain your cheek weld for it to work well. the scope is also available in 30mm which probably would increase your field of view somewhat. being the cheapo i am, i just went with 1" cause it fit my free ruger rings.

for the $, i think its hard to beat. and if you are able to prevent buying a rail, etc., then the savings just add up. for the budget minded, it is a good option imo.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #19

Liked 4421 Times on 2144 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

Don't know what you looking to spend but I believe you get what you pay for. I've had an EOTECH red dot on my AR for 8 years now. Made the mistake of mounting it too far forward where the battery compartment was overhanging the gap between the rail and the handguard. Then I let my son and nephew have at it with 1000 rounds in a afternoon. "think it actually took them about 2 hours".

Anyway, the heat off the barrel and gas tube was enough to melt the bottom of the battery compartment but this had NO ILL EFFECTS on the site! Other than a bit of discoloration. That was 3 years ago and the same EOTECH just jumped from a worn out Bushy upper with well over 10000 rounds though it to my new LMT upper AND IT'S STILL AS BRIGHT AS THE DAY I BOUGHT IT!

Fantastic product, but it will set you back the cost of a decent pistol.

Good luck

Tack

Old 02-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Don't know what you looking to spend but I believe you get what you pay for. I've had an EOTECH red dot on my AR for 8 years now. Made the mistake of mounting it too far forward where the battery compartment was overhanging the gap between the rail and the handguard. Then I let my son and nephew have at it with 1000 rounds in a afternoon. "think it actually took them about 2 hours".

Anyway, the heat off the barrel and gas tube was enough to melt the bottom of the battery compartment but this had NO ILL EFFECTS on the site! Other than a bit of discoloration. That was 3 years ago and the same EOTECH just jumped from a worn out Bushy upper with well over 10000 rounds though it to my new LMT upper AND IT'S STILL AS BRIGHT AS THE DAY I BOUGHT IT!

Fantastic product, but it will set you back the cost of a decent pistol.

Good luck

Tack
i have shot with an eotech on my bud's AR and they are an amazing optic! but this is a holographic sight and is really in a different category (both in quality and price) from your average red dot. but if you are willing the spend the money, they are awesome and seem to be worth it.

Last edited by hawkguy; 02-16-2012 at 11:03 PM.