Red dot scope?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Red dot scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Red dot scope?

I Wanna put a red dot scope on my Mini 14 ranch rifle..Any suggestions? And how do I mount it? Will work with scope rings that came with it? Please leave me feed back..Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm not real familiar w/ the Mini but I have made the mistake of trying to go cheap w/ red dot sights. It never works out as you're left wanting more (better). There is one exception to the rule, Primary Arms' micro red dot.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #3

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

You can either get a square reflex red dot or a circullar red dot. If i was you I would go with the circular red dot. And dont buy a cheap one make sure its quality. Ive been through several cheap red dots that do nothing but ruin a day at the range. Also all the red dot sights I have seen attach to a picitanny rail(spelling?) really easy attachment.

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

your mini 14 has Ruger scalloped mounts I believe, that mount is proprietary for Ruger firearms but you can get an adapter that lets you mount a picatinny rail on top and most all red dots mount to that. Enjoy, quality red dots get expensive look around and do some shopping.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So it sounds like its not gonna be cheap to do this..

Old 02-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #6

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieboots
So it sounds like its not gonna be cheap to do this..
Well look at it this way would you rather spend a little more and get a good product that lasts a long time and keeps you happy or do you want to buy cheap and keep fussing with it and be mad and eventualy spend more replacing the cheap one than you would just buying a good one.

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 02-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #7

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Louie take a look here , I hear nothing but great stuff on their products and if you have an issue Marshall will take care of it very promptly , their prices are great and their customer service is top notch . I own the micro dot and have been very happy with it roughly 2000 rds thru my new gun and the red dot has stayed right on target ,super bright also . One of my family members owns their new 3X compact scope and loves it . I really dont think you need a $400+ battle sight for your basic sportsmens use .

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_s/586.htm

Old 02-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thank you Pure Havok I'll check it out bro..

Old 02-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #9

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

No problem Louie and if you have any questions give them a call and talk to Marshall about your application and mounts .

Old 02-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2104 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 629

If you mount a scope over the action, it will have to be removed to take out the bolt for cleaning. The cheap rails that fit the Ruger scope mounts will sometimes interfere with the rear sight. You will have to remove the rear sight or modify the rail. The Weigand rail ($50) will work without mods and return to zero if you follow the mounting directions. Amega Range makes a scout rail ($150) that replaces the top fore end cover and the top of the gas block. The red dot or a pistol scope mounts on the rail and leaves the action open so cleaning is easier. There are red dots and scopes with red dots that will fit the Ruger rings. The rings that came with your mini are 1" (25mm). You may need 30mm rings depending on which red dot or scope you go with. The Ruger rings are supposed to return to zero. Personally I like the 1-4X scopes with the lit reticles. They still work if the battery dies. I have a Bushnell Trophy XLT 1-4X24 with an illuminated 4A reticle 30mm tube coming for my AR. If it works out, I will get one or something similar for my Mini 30.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.