Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Red dot on Mini

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default Red dot on Mini

My Mini came with a cheap scope and I have a better one on the way; however, maybe I want to go another way. Right now I'm toying with putting the new scope on my AR and either keeping just iron sights on the Mini or maybe adding a red dot or holosight. As everything seems to want a Weaver or Picatinny mount these days - what's a good one for the Mini that won't break the bank?

Also, should I go ahead and pick up a smaller gas bushing (yes, I've been reading a lot) and a new pack of shok-buffs?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #2

Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I prefer open sights on my Mini and most of my other rifles also. I still like the challenge of irons until my eyes decide to go south, then I might consider glass. Mini's can also be hard on optics.

Jim..........

Old 01-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I just bought the side mount from CA357 for my min. It allows use of the iron sights still. Am mounting a red dot on it. I will let you know how it works out. He'll I'll post a few pics.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #4

I have one mini with open sights, an M1 Carbine rear, modified front and my Tactical has a Millet DMS-1
I really like the Millet. Has a 1 MOA dot @ 100 and a circle that's 10" in the center, 12.6" on the outside. Great for rangefinding and the circle is fantastic for up close snap shooting. It's a 1X to 4 X so it can be used as a reflex sight also. Not quite as good a relex sight as one made just for that purpose, but it works well. It has held up to a lot of rounds and not had a problem.
They can be found for about $200. new if you look around a little.
For target shooting @ 100, just put a 1" paster up, cover it with the center dot and fire. It's been good enough to allow me a best 5 shot group of .092" @ 100.

John K

Old 02-01-2011, 03:11 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I stuck an Aimpoint Comp ML3 on my new style Mini. Bought a set of 30mm Ruger rings from Optics Planet and used the Ruger receiver mount. Gave the extra ring to my shooting partner and he did the same.

Warne makes a nice Picatinny rail that clamps onto the Ruger receiver.

The top Mini in this pic has the Ap on it. It rocks.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
My Mini came with a cheap scope and I have a better one on the way; however, maybe I want to go another way. Right now I'm toying with putting the new scope on my AR and either keeping just iron sights on the Mini or maybe adding a red dot or holosight. As everything seems to want a Weaver or Picatinny mount these days - what's a good one for the Mini that won't break the bank?

Also, should I go ahead and pick up a smaller gas bushing (yes, I've been reading a lot) and a new pack of shok-buffs?
What kind of stock are you going to use? I have a spare all weather/ houge style stock in the closet?

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
What kind of stock are you going to use? I have a spare all weather/ houge style stock in the closet?
Dave, the Hogue stocks are nice. The rubber makes them quiet, but is not too "sticky".

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Dave, the Hogue stocks are nice. The rubber makes them quiet, but is not too "sticky".
Came on the rife new and I traded out to my ATI Strikeforce.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

Old 02-01-2011, 04:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
Came on the rife new and I traded out to my ATI Strikeforce.
I took off the factory synthetic on my new Mini and put on the Hogue. Had to paint it to kill the "sticky" and keep it from getting too hot. They fit me very well.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 02-01-2011, 04:55 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The Aimpoint is a nice piece. We have the 4s at work. I still prefer my ACOG because I can't see for crap.

You are making me want to finally swap out the stock my 14. I hate the folder.

Josh-US Army EOD (Bomb Squad)
Plenty of firearms and ammo.
A couple diesels sitting around.
Lots of learning to be done!!

Lifetime NRA Member