Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Range Report on New Mini

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 12:58 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1075 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Default Range Report on New Mini

I tried my first mini today and for the most part I was really impressed. It’s a plain ranch with a Nikon 3x9 and it has the tapered barrel. I bought it used but only a few rounds had been fired through it. I did not go through my normal break in process for a new barrel because it had already been fired but I did break it in. I cleaned the barrel and fired three shots. Max shot distance was 2.8” (100yds with one flier). Then I cleaned the barrel with J-B bore cleaner and followed that with a normal cleaning. Max distance on next group was 1.78” – Point of impact also changed by about 2”. I cleaned after each three shot group and followed up with JB again after 9 shots. My final two groups were 1.4” and 1.6”.

Observations:

The barrel is the roughest I’ve ever seen on a new gun as far as copper fouling goes. I went through a lot of patches getting all the copper out but it’s settling in. I’m also not surprised by the fouling since it was designed to be a carbine and not a tack driver, and it’ll be fine after a little more cleaning and shooting. It’s almost there now.

The balance of the gun is poor, which is not helping accuracy any, but again it’s a carbine. The muzzle really wants to rise but it’s not so much from the recoil as the balance. I don’t see this being an issue because there are a number of ways to fix this. Anything forward like a muzzle break or bipod will add weight forward and help balance it. I’m also guessing a new synthetic stock should take weight away from the rear and help balance it. It could be left as is and still make a great carbine but for my personal taste I want it balanced better.

Accuracy was OUTSTANDING! I was a little worried after hearing so many different things about their accuracy, but groups are around 1.5” after only trying one box of cheap factory ammo in a stock rifle. Fouling was a problem to start with and was hurting accuracy but that was an easy fix. I have no doubt that this will be a sub MOA gun, and it’s a semi auto carbine! I couldn’t be happier with where it’s at on accuracy.

Loading the 10 round magazine takes some getting used to as does the safety. A 20 round magazine will be much easier just because I’ll have something to hold onto, and the safety will be fine after I get used to it. The trigger also needs just a little work, but it was much better than I expected and I could live with where it’s at now.

Most important of all, it performed flawlessly just like I expected it would. The stock factory mini needs some minor work for my taste, but I’ve got a great action to work around. This gun is definitely a keeper.

Left is the first group, Middle is the group after cleaning with JB, Right are the last two groups after more JB and moving the scope left. I never adjusted for height (shows how much fowling and cleaning can change point of impact.)

shot-groups.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2011, 01:15 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yep, I'd say you've definitely got a keeper. Some fine shooting, too. Minis get a lot of bad-mouthing, but they're pretty darn good at what they were meant to do.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:30 AM   #3

Liked 2370 Times on 1384 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

looks like a great start. minis have plenty of practical accuracy, and with a bit of TLC, they can get better.

some ideas:

a strut might help with weight, balance, and barrel heating.

front buffers will smooth things out

shoot premium ammo or hand load

polish contact areas on op rod and bolt

torque and even gas block

glad you're enjoying that mini! they are great, fun guns. oh, and great shooting!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
looks like a great start. minis have plenty of practical accuracy, and with a bit of TLC, they can get better.

some ideas:

a strut might help with weight, balance, and barrel heating.

front buffers will smooth things out

shoot premium ammo or hand load

polish contact areas on op rod and bolt

torque and even gas block

glad you're enjoying that mini! they are great, fun guns. oh, and great shooting!
In addition to the above listed items, you might want to consider a smaller gas bushing. It will reduce the gas flow to the gas piston and reduce the bending generated in the barrel by the overly enthusiastic gas system.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Adjustable Gas Block and Strut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem View Post
In addition to the above listed items, you might want to consider a smaller gas bushing. It will reduce the gas flow to the gas piston and reduce the bending generated in the barrel by the overly enthusiastic gas system.
That's next on the list. I was looking at the adjustable gas block but I was a little concerned about the adjustment bolt interfering with the strut (not a lot of clearance in there).

So has anyone tried the adjustable gas block with a strut?

Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1742 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 547

I had my older Mini 30 out today after installing a strut. I had some mixed results. Win White is not shooting very well. I guess the gun just does not like it. Silver Bear 125 grn soft point was giving me a nice 4 shot group and a flier, usually the 1st round. The Hornady steel case red tip is shooting about 6" higher and 3" right of the Silver Bear. Still 1st shot flier and next 4 nice group. Fliers are about 2" low and left. I retorqued the gas block last time out which helped. The store was out of the Silver Bear 122 grn HP so I got the 125 grn SP. I need to find some bullets and start loading. Anyone using Wolf in their Mini 30? Dont buy any Tula. I am going to give the barrel a thorough scrubbing before I go out again.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You may want to look at getting a Mo-Rod. It makes a perfect place to mount a bipod. The folks the offer the Mo-Rod also have a combination muzzle brake and sight called the Mo-Reaper that you may want to look at for the end of the barrel.

Here's what the front end of my Mini looks like with the Mo-Rod and bipod:

jtjmini_8.jpg  

Old 01-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

mini.jpg

I've got the accu strut and it helped. I'm shooting just under 1" groups at 100yds with Federal blue box FMJ. I'll probably add the Mo-Reaper at some point, but I want to change the gas port first. It's embarrasing to have to ask the people at the other end of the range to watch for flying brass.

JTJ, I would guess that scrubbing will help with the fliers? Let us know if does.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #9

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Attachment 37012

I've got the accu strut and it helped. I'm shooting just under 1" groups at 100yds with Federal blue box FMJ. I'll probably add the Mo-Reaper at some point, but I want to change the gas port first. It's embarrasing to have to ask the people at the other end of the range to watch for flying brass.

JTJ, I would guess that scrubbing will help with the fliers? Let us know if does.
When I shoot my mini I always look for the bench on the far right.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglesam View Post
When I shoot my mini I always look for the bench on the far right.
Putting in a smaller gas bushing will also give it less enthusiastic ejection. I reduced my ejected case pattern from 25' right to 8 to 10'.

Old and new Minis.
img_4055.jpg