Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   A question about the Mini 14 Tactical (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/question-about-mini-14-tactical-74342/)

JRM_115 10-15-2012 01:51 AM

A question about the Mini 14 Tactical

I was looking through the old post and did not see anything that could answer my questions. So....
I bought a mini 14 tactical just over a week ago and was wondering about the flash hider. Is there a way to remove it and put on a muzzle brake?
Also I'm thinking about a new stock. I have my eye on the Houge or a Choate folding. Any thoughts?

tri70 10-16-2012 01:23 AM

They are interchangeable, call Ruger CS and give them the serial # so you will know what the thread pattern of the brake to use.

JRM_115 10-16-2012 01:42 AM

Good to know. Thank you!

Holmes375 11-13-2012 01:32 PM

This may help...

From the Ruger web site:

How do I remove the flash suppressor on my rifle?

A Torx T60 bit can be used to remove the suppressors, all of which are installed with standard, right hand threads. All newly made (2009+) rifles (except the SR-556C and CLA models; the flash hiders for these models are integral to the barrel and not removable) are threaded -28 (22 and 223 caliber) or 5/8-24 (6.8 and 30 cal.).

heymatthew 11-13-2012 01:39 PM

Looks like you've received your answer on the muzzle brake. As for the stock, I'm currently using the Hogue Overmolded stock and I love it. It's just a little heavier than the synthetic stock that came on my Tactical, but it fits well and is really comfortable to shoot. It's held up well to roughly 400 rounds of shooting so far and I don't expect any issues to arise.

I'm not a fan of folding stocks so someone else may have some feedback on those. But I can say that I love the Hogue.

Holmes375 11-13-2012 02:42 PM

Agree whole heartedly.

The Hogue is a noticeable improvement over the factory stocks for my reality. A little more LOP, the wider forend and hand filling grip all result in very nice handling.

JRM_115 11-14-2012 11:25 PM

Awesome! I had a feeling the houge would be the way to go. As for removing the flash hider.......You can use the torx bit and just twist it off? It seems like there should be a pin or keeper holding it on.

I can't wait to put the PWS brake I got on it.

Thanks forthe tips guys.

heymatthew 11-14-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRM_115 (Post 1014739)
Awesome! I had a feeling the houge would be the way to go. As for removing the flash hider.......You can use the torx bit and just twist it off? It seems like there should be a pin or keeper holding it on.

I can't wait to put the PWS brake I got on it.

Thanks forthe tips guys.

I think you can just use a wrench to grip the hider and remove it. Or use a broad flat head screwdriver stuck in the end and twist it off. You may want to use some masking tape on the hider to protect it. But a good set of lockjaw pliers should get it right off.

Holmes375 11-15-2012 05:37 PM

A #60 Torx bit fits the Mini flash hider. No pins, just threaded.

JRM_115 11-24-2012 07:19 AM

I got the flash hider off with ease but putting the new brake on is another story. When I twist it on it doesn't line up right. It came with a washer but either way the brake is cock eyed when I tighten it down. Should I use lock tight or am I missing something?