Prematurely Bolt Opening?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Prematurely Bolt Opening?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Prematurely Bolt Opening?

i run 2 blue WC 1911 buffers (not sanded, full thickness, in my mini 14 ranch rifle. everything works fine, no cycling probs, eeding issues etc.
but one thought came to my mind, hoe you can help me with that:

the rearward movement of the slide assembly (due to the added thickness of the WC buffer on the gas pipe) is a little less than without the buffer, so will the bolt unlock prematurely and is this dangerous?

the bolt locks completly into place and the slide assy has play, before rotating the bolt. but less play than before (due to the buffer).

i read that hundreds of users have 2 WC 1911 buffers installed in their minis, so i guess prematurely unlocking / opening of the bolt is no problem, but what would you say?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #2

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

You should not have any problems with the bolt and the buffers. I have been running them for years without any problems, I use a vacuum cleaner belt and 9mm stamped hole for the gas block. The pressure from the spring will keep the bolt in place, like you noted, there a little play in the action but that is what makes the mini reliable.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

okay, but the oplayx becomes less with the buffer installed on the gas pipe, no need to worry that the (greater amount of) play was intended by ruger?
just wanna make sure that the buffers safe the rifle (which i intend) and don't wreck it.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #4

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

The rifle will be fine, buffers have been use for more than 10 years that I know of. No damage to any rifles.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

perfect, thanks a lot, tri70