poly stock vs wood for accuracy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > poly stock vs wood for accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2846 Times on 1685 Posts
Likes Given: 1869

Default poly stock vs wood for accuracy

i have never bedded my mini stock for accuracy. at this point, it shoots well enough that i am pretty afraid to mess with it. but i know bedding as a proven mod, so i think about it now & then.

i purchased a SS 580 mini. it came in a poly stock. imo, this stock always seemed to have a considerable amount of "play" or looseness to it. my gun came out of the stock very easily for cleaning.

i got older style wood stock cause i found a deal and disliked the look and feel of the ruger poly stock. upon switching them out, the first i discovered was how hard it was to fit into the wood stock. i really had to put some weight and muscle on it to snap in the trigger assembly. it is a tight fit. it has gotten a little easier with use.

has anyone noticed an increase/decrease in accuracy between the two stocks? i think the wood stock being such a tight fit might be an advantage. however, i don't know if this is the experience with all wood stocks.

just thinking out loud....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

From the sound of it, as long as there aren't any barrel pressure points, it should shoot quiet well...

Bill

Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #3

Liked 108 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Gundoc has my Factory poly stock and it will come back bedded, I'll post the results when it does. I have a Ramline plastic camo he did and it locks up tight. Recently bought A Bell&Carlson to go on my new (to me) 581 RR and it's tighter than a booger now. It will get bedded when I send it anyway cause I can't help but think too tight might also be a problem. I'm pretty sold on having stocks fit.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:29 AM   #4

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Have you tried shimming the plastic?

Old 05-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #5

Likes Given: 2

What I have found with my 185 in its factory wood stock is that it shoots well and is accurate, but when I pull it from its stock for cleaning and replace it I notice a definite POI change until I fire around 5 rounds. Its real noticeable at 50 yards, you can see the POI moving, as it goes back to POA/POI. It acts like it has to settle itself back into the stock. I'm thinking bedding might cure that.