Picked up a tactical - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Picked up a tactical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2925 Times on 1740 Posts
Likes Given: 1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator View Post
Yea it's my first rifle like this. I am like a kid thinking of all the options.
and i think the mini is very underrated when it comes to options.

want tactical nightmare? slap a pistol grip railed stock on it.

want "friendly" looking hunting style rifle? wood stock & 5 round mag.

want scout set up? add an appropriate stock & rail & optics.

want a "m-14" or "M1carbine" copy in modern 5.56? seen that too!

folder? synthetic? wood? folder in wood or synthetic!

with one mini and a few stocks, you can have many different guns!

just open that wallet up wide!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #12

Liked 719 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 744

OK, It is black and has rails. Besides being based off the M14(M1a) operating system, what else does it offer?? What options does it offer? It is not light, so close quarters is out and the folder is useless. It has rails that you can hang stuff on, but that adds more weight. It is not accurate enough for anything over 150 yards, ok 200 yards. You have irons, so back to 100 yards. W/ the right scope, 200. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a fine design, but Ruger never took the platform and made it awesome. They could have. Just as they did w/ the 10/22 they were more interested inselling aftermarket parts.
Practical beats Tactifool every day. This 1st carbine had 17 years of use before it's 1st failure, no cleaning except external lube and bore. Just a cleaning and it was back in action. Feel and sights are like the MP5

Second is awesome, Cugir built semi AK74.

Hunting mode.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 01-15-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #13

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'll give you all that and I don't give a $hit anyway. Ruger makes great guns and this Ranch Model with the tactical kit is cool. With the foregrip attached & the 16" barrel, the folding stock does provide a close quarter option. The weight? I guess if your workout doesn't exceed 12 ounce curls, then yea, it's heavy.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #14

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

It's very light and quick handling, shoots without fail.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #15

That's a really great rifle BTW. Even if I didn't like it, I wouldn't rag on it because it's yours and you really like it.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #16
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 862 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
OK, It is black and has rails. Besides being based off the M14(M1a) operating system, what else does it offer?? What options does it offer? It is not light, so close quarters is out and the folder is useless. It has rails that you can hang stuff on, but that adds more weight. It is not accurate enough for anything over 150 yards, ok 200 yards. You have irons, so back to 100 yards. W/ the right scope, 200. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a fine design, but Ruger never took the platform and made it awesome. They could have. Just as they did w/ the 10/22 they were more interested inselling aftermarket parts.
Practical beats Tactifool every day. This 1st carbine had 17 years of use before it's 1st failure, no cleaning except external lube and bore. Just a cleaning and it was back in action. Feel and sights are like the MP5

Second is awesome, Cugir built semi AK74.

Hunting mode.
I have to say Man that was cold! Not everyone is at your level you might consider that when you feel the need to flex your muscle

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:46 AM   #17

Liked 2925 Times on 1740 Posts
Likes Given: 1958

j

Quote:
pattersonnh;1093 What options does it offer?
huh? the mini offers plenty. i'll explain.

Quote:
It is not light.It has rails that you can hang stuff on, but that adds more weight.
huh? a synthetic stock mini weights about 6.75 vs about 6.5 for your standard AR. and of course anything you add, adds weight, but that applies to any rifles. and normally you are talking ounces.

Quote:
It is not accurate enough for anything over 150 yards, ok 200 yards. You have irons, so back to 100 yards. W/ the right scope, 200.
uh-oh. you opened a can of worms here! i don't know how someone could post pics of an AK (notoriously bad accuracy) and then try to crap on a mini for its accuracy. i'd be willing to see if that AK of yours can hang with my mini. the only AK i shot couldn't hold a candle to my mini's accuracy. but maybe yours is better....

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I think it is a fine design, but Ruger never took the platform and made it awesome. They could have.
ok, good point and i agree.

Quote:
Practical beats Tactifool every day.
come on now, buddy. no need to diss someone else's choices. i'm not a big tactical style guy, but many people like the tactical looks and functions. gotta respect that, even if ya don't agree.

Last edited by hawkguy; 01-15-2013 at 01:48 AM.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #18

Made a couple mods. Put 1st rounds down range today. Shoots pretty good.

image-1194081800.jpg   image-4030557647.jpg