for the people that say mini 14's are not accurate
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > for the people that say mini 14's are not accurate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default for the people that say mini 14's are not accurate

this is a pic of my mini 14 and some targets that i have shot at my local outdoor gun range. mind you the one on the right was done at 100 yards the one on the left was done at 150 yards using monarch 55 grain full metal jacket rounds that i bought at academy for 5.99.

photo_031410_004.jpg   photo_031410_005.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2010, 04:53 AM   #2

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Had an older 180 series in the late 70's and it would shoot about 3+" groups @100 yds. Bought a newer 580 series in 2008 and it constantly shoots 1+" groups @ 100 yards. Quite an improvement over the older 180 series. Having a trigger job done, taking the pull weight down to just a tad under 3 lbs., was a real plus for this rifle.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:03 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

my father bagged many deer with his mini-14 at 100 to 300 yard distances.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Depends on your defenition of accurate. Sure, that will hit a man or a fat ground hog but there are many rifles that will hold a tighter group. Nothing wrong with a mini 14, it's all in what you want.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree that the shooters individual definition of "accurate" reigns in this discussion.

A Mini-14 is a 150 yd carbine. Your results seem to substantiate that. Enjoy your rifle.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #6

It seems to me that "most" guns shoot better than their owners. I'm a GREAT shot when I'm at the range with a toy up on sandbags or in a sled but what separates the men from the boys is shooting the same gun off hand.

Just because your gun can shoot 1MOA doesn't mean you can. A trip to the range will show you the same guy who can shoot 1 inch off the bench at 100yds can't hit a 15 inch steel plate off hand half the time. I'm just saying that in a practical sense I'm far more interested in shooting 5 inches off hand at a 100yds rather than .5 inches off the bench. The fact is all my guns shoot better than I do so a Holosight rests on the Mini and I shoot it for what it is.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoAmmoPlease View Post
It seems to me that "most" guns shoot better than their owners. I'm a GREAT shot when I'm at the range with a toy up on sandbags or in a sled but what separates the men from the boys is shooting the same gun off hand.

What seperates men from boys is men know that guns are not toys.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #8

Jo your correct that my choice of words was poor but you missed the point in your quest for proper verbage. I was just suggesting that the accuracy of the weapon/firearm/gun itself was secondary to the accuracy of the shooter.
A gun that will drive tacks will only do so in the right hands..and those hands don't happen to be mine or 97% percent of the shooting population.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #9

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoAmmoPlease View Post

Just because your gun can shoot 1MOA doesn't mean you can. A trip to the range will show you the same guy who can shoot 1 inch off the bench at 100yds can't hit a 15 inch steel plate off hand half the time. I'm just saying that in a practical sense I'm far more interested in shooting 5 inches off hand at a 100yds rather than .5 inches off the bench. The fact is all my guns shoot better than I do so a Holosight rests on the Mini and I shoot it for what it is.
Despite the criticism as to the semantics.......I think this response is one of the best posts I have ever read on these boards. IMHO I think it is absolutely true. The over emphasis on "shot groups" and "accuracy" of a particular weapon drown out the "reality" of practical application(s) of marksmanship.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Depends on your defenition of accurate. Sure, that will hit a man or a fat ground hog but there are many rifles that will hold a tighter group. Nothing wrong with a mini 14, it's all in what you want.
I agree with spittinfire 100%.