Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Opened the Mini

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default Opened the Mini

I'm seriously not a rifle guy so I went to Ruger's website and glanced at the Mini 14 manual to get an idea of how to break it down. BTW, the one I picked up is a later model 580 series from 2007 based on the serial # info. Got it apart without a hitch and proceeded to clean and lube it like I do all guns I acquire. This thing was clean and lubed well and that tells me the previous owner probably took care of it. Spent an hour or so messing around and learned a bit about how it works.

The only rifle I'm familiar with is an M-16 from my military days so it was fun to take another one apart and get it back together. I've received some tips from the Mini gurus here so I ordered a couple of new recoil springs and a pack of shock buffers from Brownells...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #2

Liked 3731 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 13267

Look at you go, now that your pistol addiction seems satisfied you are moving right along into rifles. So whatcha gonna get next?

also, how about some pics of the new mini?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report
My AR458SOCOM Build

Old 01-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I was never a rifle guy for a reason, I have lazy eye in my right eye and I shoot right handed so I've always been handicapped with long guns. With a handgun, I shoot right handed and left eyed and it works well for me. Doubt I'll ge anymore rifles but I did want something to go with my AR as kind of a short range zombie gun and I think the Mini will fill this niche well. Here's the obligatory pix...

Old 01-24-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Cool beans.

I'll have that manual out in the mail tomorrow.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Nice. You are gonna like it.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #6

I think you are going to like the rifle. The earlier ones are better made than than the new one's, but the new one's are more accurate.
They are not hard to take apart, the gas block being put on even and torqued evenly is very important to the accuracy.
Put a 45 auto buffer at the front of the main spring towards the action. I'd stay away from the buffers that go at the gas block.
A barrel strut either commercial or home made helps the accuracy a lot as does having the action and barrel Cryo treated. The Cryo really helps stop stringing of shots. "300 Below" is one of the best. They heat treat the whole works 3 times after the cryo treatment. They cost a little more than some of the other places, but their extra treatment is worth it.
I'm going to do a post on bedding the gas block soon. Done right, it is a big help with the accuracy. Some advocate free floating the gas block, but it's not like a regular barrel with all the weight gas block hurts accuracy, not helps. This is something I have proved and many on another site have increased their accuracy.

John K

Old 01-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5682 Times on 3336 Posts
Likes Given: 4821

Nice! Very nice!

Can you shoot bowling pins with that?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 433 Times on 233 Posts

Very nice, needs the Mo-Rod and Bayonet.

Last edited by Shihan; 01-25-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default This will help

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:44 AM   #10

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Well, I'm sure you'll trade her off for something soon......