Nice Plug Beloved Mini....
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum >

Nice Plug Beloved Mini....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2015, 01:53 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 244 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default Nice Plug Beloved Mini....

Now in 300 Blackout! What?!?!

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/6/8/five-reasons-to-reconsider-the-ruger-mini-14/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2015, 03:03 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4419 Times on 2984 Posts
Likes Given: 2210

As a consumer I honestly can't see the point of a 300 Blackout Mini. You can't swap barrels quickly. The Mini does not like being suppressed. What is left is a Mini Thirty with no option to shoot inexpensive practice ammo.

Nice review, good point about stainless steel.
locutus Likes This 
Old 06-10-2015, 05:06 AM   #3
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2504 Times on 1519 Posts
Likes Given: 13807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
As a consumer I honestly can't see the point of a 300 Blackout Mini. You can't swap barrels quickly. The Mini does not like being suppressed. What is left is a Mini Thirty with no option to shoot inexpensive practice ammo.

I see it as a "To each their own" type thing. The AR is more for the guy who wants to have one gun, and several uppers rather than several guns, and there is nothing wrong with that. The mini is more for the "Just one more" crowd who would rather have a safe full of rifles instead of uppers.

I fall somewhere in the middle of the two, as I am not a fan of the AR, but I do like the fact that you can change it from a plinker to an HD rifle Via 2 pins, and some modular internals. I also would much rather have the safe full of rifles instead of uppers, as the uppers do you no good if you need to sell the lower if in need of cash. In some ways, a safe full of minis would suit me better.

They probably decided to put a .300 Blackout out there due to losing sales because they weren't offering one yet. I expect growing pains until the ammo manufactur3ers come up with a load for the rifle that fits it's operating system well, or Ruger makes a variable gas system available for it. As to buying one in .300, I already have a Mini 30, a Mini 14 with the Government barrel in Semi. and a BAO, with the GB, the last 2 in 5.56. Don't need one in .300 BK.

OTOH, if they decide to make one later on in .308, I just might want one. It's nice to see Ruger catching up with the times on their calibers and capacities.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 06-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #4

Liked 3248 Times on 1941 Posts
Likes Given: 2347

Quote:
Mercator;1720030] The Mini does not like being suppressed.
this may be true.....but what is this statement based on? personal experiences? multiple reviews from users or experts? i'm just curious.

no mention of any problems here.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Mini14-300.htm

Quote:
i have said it before....but a mini 14 does not replace an AR-15, they are too different. it is, however, a good alternative that provides some features unique only to the mini. which is "better" is mostly just dependent on personal preference.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
this may be true.....but what is this statement based on? personal experiences? multiple reviews from users or experts? i'm just curious.

no mention of any problems here.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Mini14-300.htm

i have said it before....but a mini 14 does not replace an AR-15, they are too different. it is, however, a good alternative that provides some features unique only to the mini. which is "better" is mostly just dependent on personal preference.
First hand. I fired a Mini 14 with an AAC 5.56 suppressor. The blowback was bad, the action cycled roughly (over gassed), and the noise suppression to the shooter wasn't great, due to the reciprocating steel handle.

I saw Jeff Quinn's presentation, with respect for his opinion.

No doubt the Mini is a good rifle. It has its limitations like any other.

Last edited by Mercator; 06-10-2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Typo
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 06-11-2015, 02:01 AM   #6

Quote:
First hand. I fired a Mini 14 with an AAC 5.56 suppressor. The blowback was bad, the action cycled roughly (over gassed), and the noise suppression to the shooter wasn't great, due to the reciprocating steel handle.

I saw Jeff Quinn's presentation, with respect for his opinion.

No doubt the Mini is a good rifle. It has its limitations like any other.
fair enough. thanks.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #7

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

While the new "Mini-300" may get the press, I don't see it replacing the Mini-30 anytime soon. While the 300 BO does work as both a sub and super sonic round, it's 'claim to fame' is that it's a simple barrel change in an AR conversion as well as a decent heavy weight sub-sonic rd.

If you don't want an AR and/or you don't want subsonic, then the fact that it gives up some 200+fps to the 7.62x39's 125grn class bullets is a downer as muzzle energy is considerably lower and the trajectory exhibits more drop out at ranges past 200yds. Both these lesson the 300 BO's effectiveness as a hunting round.

Cheap surplus, cheap foreign, and domestic commercial ammo is available for the 7.62x39 at prices considerably cheaper than for the 300 BO for which only limited domestic commercial ammo is available. As to handloading, while the 7.62x39's bullets are .310/.311" vs the common .308" bullets used in the 300 BO, there are still plenty of different styles of .310"/.311" bullets available in 108, 110, and 123 grn from companies like Graf & Sons which will fit most people's needs.

As to brass, while it's true that one can make 300 BO brass from .223/5.56, it does take equipment, time, and effort. New unfired 300 BO brass costs the same as new unfired 7.62x39 Boxer brass. Purchased once fired .223/5.56 brass converted to 300 BO costs the same as reloadable once fired 7.62x39.

The single thing I like better in the 300 BO Mini is that Ruger has made it's barrel even thicker which should hopefully aid in accuracy, however, my new 583 Series 5.56 Ranch Rifle's thicker barrel has demonstrated that Ruger is now producing Minis in the sub 2 MOA range with many demonstrating almost sub MOA range.

"No Matter Where You Go, There You Are." Buckroo Banzai - 1984
People Like This 
Old 06-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #8

mini in 300 BO....pretty cool for those interested.

mini in 308 under/at a grand? WHOO HOO!

they would be back ordered for years! what the hell was the hang up with the 308? seems like somebody smarter than me shoulda figured it out by now.

and factory folder.....bring it back....hellooo?

Old 06-11-2015, 09:28 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
mini in 300 BO....pretty cool for those interested.

mini in 308 under/at a grand? WHOO HOO!

they would be back ordered for years! what the hell was the hang up with the 308? seems like somebody smarter than me shoulda figured it out by now.
It's called Springfield M1A SOCOM ...Based on the time-proven Mini design

Old 06-12-2015, 04:42 AM   #10

Quote:
It's called Springfield M1A SOCOM ...Based on the time-proven Mini design
yup....and an M1A.... starts around $1600 & goes way up from there......

thread drift, but why the hell do they cost so damn much? ruger needs to make a "mighty"-14 in 308.....retail around $999....they sell them all day & night imo.