Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > New Stock and Mag release on the Mini

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 139 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default New Stock and Mag release on the Mini

Got the new stock and extended mag release I ordered from Brownell's put on yesterday. The mag release they sell, (ASI) I will like after doing some work on it. Problem now is, by the time it releases the magazine, it is touching against the mag. If it was a hair longer it would be hitting the magazine first, and not be able to go far enough to release the magazine. I think if I grind off a 1/4" or so it will be great. Don't these companies test this stuff and think it out before marketing it ? Also got the ghillie green Hogue overmolded stock. I like the fit, feel and the grippiness of it. In ideal conditions an uncheckered stock, either wood or hard plastic, is o.k., but in other than ideal conditions, soaking rain, sweat or blood on your hands from a wound, for example, they can be slippery. The Hogue has little raised bumps where checkering would normally be, but is grippy all over due to the rubber overmolding. Some have commented they don't like this as it catches on their shirt or jacket as they bring the rifle up. I don't disagree but plan on putting a coyote brown mag pouch on the butt so it shouldn't grab my clothing with the pouch velcroed around the stock. I don't want the pouch so much for a spare mag as a place to put an Otis cleaning cable, a few patches and solvent bottle, and a spare battery for the Aimpoint Patrol optic I'm putting on. Not that the Aimpoint is going to eat through batteries, just nice to have a spare. Most mag pouches for stocks are made for a 30 round mag, I can put the misc. items in a bag in the bottom and still have room for a 20 round mag. I have a few small places to stash those things on my AR (Magpul stock, pistol grip and V.G). They only add a few ounces to the rifle and are always there if you ever need them. My only gripe with the Hogue is nothing about it is green. It looks blue-grey to me. I will call Hogue next week and see if they have one that is actually green to trade me. If not and it still is bugging me, I can always return it and get a Choate and spray paint it green or Coyote brown. Just not into black stocks. My AR's have O.D. green and foliage green Magpul furniture. I considered Hogue's tan Mini stock, but from all the pics I saw, it looks very light colored, and the white swirls are more prominent on the tan stock. I know. I'm being too picky. But when they advertise green, and all the pics I see of them are green, I don't want a blue one. The stock sure looks like the blue siding on the house, doesn't it ?

dsc01464.jpg  

Last edited by sandog; 11-30-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: typo

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1799 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 556

How is the fit on those stocks and are they heavier than the factory plastic stock?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #3

Fit was pretty snug, much more than my factory wood. Any more snug and I would have had to relieve it some. I guess that's good, cause I've heard that glass bedding wont adhere to it, some petroleum product in the rubber acts like a release agent. I saw where one guy put that silvery duct stuff with adhesive backing around the action lugs to make it fit tighter in his synthetic stock. I haven't weighed both stocks or read the weights listed anywhere, but holding both stocks in my hands, the Hogue felt a tad lighter than the factory wood. It is probably not as light as some of the black plastic stocks, because it's a bit bigger overall and has a palm swell and the rubber coating.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1799 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 556

Thanks. I have been looking at the Hogue stocks and wondering if it is worth it. My Ultimak rail should arrive next week and I could change it out at the same time.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #5

There are a couple of other stocks I'd be happy with, the new factory wood with the thin rubber pad instead of the older, shorter, wood one that came on my rifle (with curved plastic buttplate), or the Choate, slimmer synthetic stock with checkering, I'd paint it something other than black. What really made my Mini nicer, after the Accustrut, was the Ultimak. From what I've heard, adding the flash hider helps stiffen up the pencil barrel and aids accuracy as well. Haven't got out to shoot it yet, since those mods. Before the Ultimak, I mounted a 3-9x 40mm scope in the Ruger rings to test for accuracy and try new loads. But it was a pain, I had to remove my Tech rear sight to use the scope or the sight was in the way and the scope rested on my old plastic handguard, and it wasn't even a big scope. Didn't like the feel/balance or the looks of the Mini with a scope mounted over the action. I'm going to mount an Aimpoint Patrol w/ 2 MOA Dot on the Ultimak, fast, rugged and easy on batteries , just not as precise as a magnified scout scope.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #6

Update: I am sending the blue/grey stock back and getting one in O.D. green. This is what it should look like:

o.d.-green-hogue-om-stock.jpg  

Old 12-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #7

There isn't any way to mount a bipod on this is there?

Old 12-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #8

I see some bipods that are mounted clamped around the barrel, or clamped on to the strut, which in turn is clamped on to the barrel. Probably not the best place as it can affect your point of impact. If you want to mount a Harris bipod or Harris copy, you could put a swivel stud into the end of the forearm. I'd countersink the nut for a fine threaded swivel stud and locktite it, rather than use a wood screw style swivel stud. Just make sure the nut is down far enough that it doesn't raise up your metal forend liner, or the liner could bind your op rod travel.
Another way would be to mount a short, 2 to 4 inch piece of Picatinny rail on the bottom of the forearm for mounting a bipod that will clamp to a Picatinny rail. Get some short black wood screws and epoxy them in and the rail should stay o.k.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #9

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Use a T nut to attach a swivel stud to the stock, it is flat and will not bother the liner if you mount about 2" of the end of the firearm.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

sandog Likes This