New owner/member

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > New owner/member

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New owner/member

Glad to be here.

I just picked up a new-to-me mini so I have been pouring over the posts here.

We live in eastern Nebraska and hope to deal with some coyotes and just general plinking with the mini.

I picked up what I think is a 1990ish ranch model. serial # 187-94xxx. It has a Butler Creek folding stock. I will get the original wood stock as well.

I have put a hundred or so rounds through it. Not near enough.

One quick question, so far, there is a 1/4 in. or so vertical play in the stock. Which is to say the butt end will move up and down a 1/4. Can't be right. Anybody deal with this?

I am looking at the Tapco and ATI stocks. Not any good reason to go that route, other than I just like the looks.

I have been reading about bedding the stock, changing the gas port to deal with the long distance shell ejection and more. Lots of good info.

All for now. I expect to post more questions as I get more into this.

Brian

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2011, 09:16 PM   #2

Good evening and welcome Brian.

This is the first time I have had the privillage to be the first to welcome a new member. Sorry I don't know to much about specs. on the mini. I do know that they are a very fun gun to shoot and I enjoy mine a lot. I'm sure somebody here will be able to help you out these guys know what they are talking about and are helpfull with soild advise.

Once again welcome and I'am looking foward to your input.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forums!

We have a couple mini enthusiasts here who will be able to answer your question.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Welcome! I don't have a mini myself, but i hear good things about them. I bet you will enjoy this forum; there are some smart and helpful people here (and the rest of us).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:55 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Welcome from Damascus, MD. I don't have a mini yet so I can't field your questions. I'm sure there will be some enthusiasts along shortly.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the FTF community Brian.

Have you field stripped and cleaned and lubed the Mini yet? Does the trigger group/housing feel loose? Sometimes they can wear and loosen a bit.

But, I've never heard of this before, so I think something's not right with the aftermarket folding stock.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome Brian,

I'm new here, too, but no to the Mini. the play is considered normal in a used BC folder due to the pin and metal mono-bloc. A sporter stock will not have that problem. Check out my website at Great West Gunsmithing for a free video on bedding the Mini and some other ones to help you do some cleaning and maintenance since you probably don't know the history of the rifle or how well it was cared for.

I spent some time in Lincoln a year ago and Nebraska is a nice place. You'll find quite a few other mini enthusiasts there.

John