Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Mini-14 Forum (
-   -   New owner/member (

prd2hnt 03-31-2011 07:28 PM

New owner/member
Glad to be here.

I just picked up a new-to-me mini so I have been pouring over the posts here.

We live in eastern Nebraska and hope to deal with some coyotes and just general plinking with the mini.

I picked up what I think is a 1990ish ranch model. serial # 187-94xxx. It has a Butler Creek folding stock. I will get the original wood stock as well.

I have put a hundred or so rounds through it. Not near enough.

One quick question, so far, there is a 1/4 in. or so vertical play in the stock. Which is to say the butt end will move up and down a 1/4. Can't be right. Anybody deal with this?

I am looking at the Tapco and ATI stocks. Not any good reason to go that route, other than I just like the looks.

I have been reading about bedding the stock, changing the gas port to deal with the long distance shell ejection and more. Lots of good info.

All for now. I expect to post more questions as I get more into this.

oneshot 03-31-2011 09:16 PM

Good evening and welcome Brian.

This is the first time I have had the privillage to be the first to welcome a new member. Sorry I don't know to much about specs. on the mini. I do know that they are a very fun gun to shoot and I enjoy mine a lot. I'm sure somebody here will be able to help you out these guys know what they are talking about and are helpfull with soild advise.

Once again welcome and I'am looking foward to your input.

dnthmn2004 03-31-2011 09:23 PM

Welcome to the forums!

We have a couple mini enthusiasts here who will be able to answer your question.

orangello 03-31-2011 09:40 PM

Welcome! I don't have a mini myself, but i hear good things about them. I bet you will enjoy this forum; there are some smart and helpful people here (and the rest of us).

zebramochaman 04-01-2011 01:55 AM

Welcome from Damascus, MD. I don't have a mini yet so I can't field your questions. I'm sure there will be some enthusiasts along shortly.

CA357 04-01-2011 02:31 AM

Welcome to the FTF community Brian.

Have you field stripped and cleaned and lubed the Mini yet? Does the trigger group/housing feel loose? Sometimes they can wear and loosen a bit.

But, I've never heard of this before, so I think something's not right with the aftermarket folding stock.

GunDoc 04-01-2011 02:08 PM

Welcome Brian,

I'm new here, too, but no to the Mini. the play is considered normal in a used BC folder due to the pin and metal mono-bloc. A sporter stock will not have that problem. Check out my website at Great West Gunsmithing for a free video on bedding the Mini and some other ones to help you do some cleaning and maintenance since you probably don't know the history of the rifle or how well it was cared for.

I spent some time in Lincoln a year ago and Nebraska is a nice place. You'll find quite a few other mini enthusiasts there.