Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > New owner checking in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2656 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 1672

Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
Hey Hawkguy, is that a stock, well, stock on your mini? I have been poking around for a wooden stock (because the stainless + wood look you rock is sweet), but I don't know if I want to pay full-retail for just a factory replacement + the mounting hardware.
it is a factory stock, so...yes...my stock is...stock i suppose.

its an older factory stock though, with the curved "cowboy style" butt plate. i got lucky when i was looking, and noticed numrich had these stocks for $38. but i'm afraid word got out and those stocks are now long gone. they were kind of hit and miss anyway. but i think i got lucky on mine, it was pretty nice.

here is a nice wood stock from midway. currently backordered, but not bad at $76. i doubt getting a stock from ruger would come this cheap, but you could call and see. ans you could sell the plastic to off set some cost.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/865420/ruger-rifle-stock-wood-with-buttplate-ruger-mini-14-stainless-and-blued-wood-stock-models

good luck! if you're like me, you'll pay almost anything to get rid of that plastic number it comes with....but that may just be me.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hi everyone,

Just picked up a Mini 5805 and have been following this discussion. I've always preferred a very traditional sort of shooter, all of my rifles are bolt action, wood stock, blue finish. My 870 Shotgun is wood finish under a Parkerized Blue Barrel.

But for this new Mini - the Matte finish stainless barrel over the synthetic stock just looked right to me. I've shot quite a few of these guns in the past, but this is the first one I've owned.

I know this is a tough question, but what factory ammo and weight do you find to be the most accurate out of this weapon?

Thanks,

Old 01-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #23

Liked 283 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 1244

Mine shots the hornaday v-max, z-max 55g the best ive found so far. The cheap tulamo stuff from wally world sucks, fun to shoot but thats it a pie plate at 100 if your lucky

Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
Hi everyone,

Just picked up a Mini 5805 and have been following this discussion. I've always preferred a very traditional sort of shooter, all of my rifles are bolt action, wood stock, blue finish. My 870 Shotgun is wood finish under a Parkerized Blue Barrel.

But for this new Mini - the Matte finish stainless barrel over the synthetic stock just looked right to me. I've shot quite a few of these guns in the past, but this is the first one I've owned.

I know this is a tough question, but what factory ammo and weight do you find to be the most accurate out of this weapon?

Thanks,
55 grain hornady v-max (i think z max is same thing), shoots under 2" groups in my mini if i'm on. i have also had success with black hills match hollow points, which seem to shoot close to the same in my mini. both are pricey rounds though, near $1 a pop!

i have found 55 grain remington umc to a very accurate plinking round in my mini. i can normally shoot under 3" with it, sometimes around 2". i also use american eagle and federal bulk, but in my mini, these do not compete with the umc for accuracy.

hope it helps, i think every mini has a mind of its own when it comes to ammo. but, you do get better quality/more accurate ammo with most of the premium ammo.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the replies, I just found some PMC 55 gr FMJ ammo so I can finally take the gun out to the range this weekend and see how she shoots!

Man I hope this ammo shortage corrects itself soon, right now this stuff is hard to find...

Old 01-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
Thanks for the replies, I just found some PMC 55 gr FMJ ammo so I can finally take the gun out to the range this weekend and see how she shoots!

Man I hope this ammo shortage corrects itself soon, right now this stuff is hard to find...
pmc didn't give me good accuracy, but you are lucky to have found it!

the ammo panic is going to be around awhile. i've given up on the idea of shooting any 223 for a few months. if you do find it, it won't be decent prices.

gotta love hoarders!

Old 01-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I feel ya I'm finally getting a optic on my mini after 4 months As well as a tactical stock I'm to ready to go check out a outdoor range

Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #28

Default New to the forum

Recently inherited a 181 series mini and is my new favorite rifle.