New owner checking in!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > New owner checking in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New owner checking in!

Hi all,

Like the thread title says I am a new mini-14 owner, and this is my first centerfire rifle. I picked up the stainless steel ranch version of the gun, and am particularly happy with it so far (about 300 rounds through the beast with nary a complaint from 'er).

I've been doing some poking around here, and have come to the conclusion that I'm going to get some bushings from the gundoc, and potentially have him bed my receiver into the stock.

Aside from that, I was wondering if the newer model mini-14s benefit from the accu-strut? I was under the impression that the change to the barrel helped eliminate the stringing problem the older variants had? Any insight there would be nice!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #2

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

How accurate is your rifle? From a solid rest and trying two or three different loads. And if you are a new shooter, let a proven experienced shooter try it from a rest. You may receive zero benefits from anything you do if your rifle is shooting fine as-is.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #3

Liked 3147 Times on 1875 Posts
Likes Given: 2198

i think, as said, finding out what accuracy you are getting & going from there is the best bet. remember, you probably didn't buy it for a target rifle & it likely never will be regardless of what you do. mini's really aren't MOA rifles & most feel they have a shooter if it consistently shoots 1.5-3" groups. of course, some shooters have gotten their mini's close to MOA, but that is like a lifetime acheivement....

my 580 stainless ranch was a good shooter out of the box, 2.5-3" or so. a few fixes and my groups range between 1.5-2.5 @ 100 consistently with premium ammo. i'm plenty happy with that myself.

one of my additions was the accu-strut and i am very satisfied with it. it helped the accuracy a bit (i was stupid not measure exactly how much). but one of the best results of of the accu-strut is heat reduction imo. my mini shoots just as well hot as cool (almost no stringing at all) & i would say that was the best improvement the accu-strut brought.

i am also very happy with how good my accu-strut looks on my mini! seriously, kevin at accu-strut nailed the stainless finish and it is a perfect match, looking like it was a factory part.

i highly recommend accu-strut. its a good product for the mini 14.

ruger-mini-14.jpg  

Old 12-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #4

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

You know... I am puzzled by the descriptions of this gun being not too accurate. If someone could please explain why and how this could be, I would really appreciate it.
It seems to me that it is a Ruger with a 223 16 inch barrel - basically the same as the Ruger 223 with a 16 inch barrel mounted in their AR-15. Why would their AR-15 be more accurate than their M14 (mini-14) with basically the same barrel??
Ruger makes guns of great quality and accuracy. Even their short barrel stuff is excellent. Why, then, would a 16 inch barrel not be so accurate --- and then another one of their 16 inch barrels be more accurate?? Their "micro-groove" barrels have come to be recognized as pretty good stuff.... Why would one be - and another not so much.

If anyone can explain this physics phenomenon, I'd like to hear...

I actually am suspecting that both guns are very accurate. Youtube reviews seem to indicate this, too.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #5

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Minis are very fun to shoot! A Gundoc trigger is a great mod to get if you get a package deal of bedding/trigger and save $$$. I have 2 minis with Gundoc triggers and it will impress you greatly over the factory trigger.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
You know... I am puzzled by the descriptions of this gun being not too accurate. If someone could please explain why and how this could be, I would really appreciate it.
It seems to me that it is a Ruger with a 223 16 inch barrel - basically the same as the Ruger 223 with a 16 inch barrel mounted in their AR-15. Why would their AR-15 be more accurate than their M14 (mini-14) with basically the same barrel??
Ruger makes guns of great quality and accuracy. Even their short barrel stuff is excellent. Why, then, would a 16 inch barrel not be so accurate --- and then another one of their 16 inch barrels be more accurate?? Their "micro-groove" barrels have come to be recognized as pretty good stuff.... Why would one be - and another not so much.

If anyone can explain this physics phenomenon, I'd like to hear...

I actually am suspecting that both guns are very accurate. Youtube reviews seem to indicate this, too.
regardless of what i said, i don't consider the mini 14 to be inaccurate. in fact i think mine is a great little shooter. i've been in many battles with posters who claim the mini is "inaccurate." there is practical accuracy (which the mini has), and target accuracy (MOA...which the mini doesn't normally have).

i think too many people expect guns to shoot MOA these days. autoloading carbines are not generally known to be MOA guns despite many claims of it being so (by internet commandos mostly). shooting MOA consistently in like 5 shots groups in very difficult for gun and shooter, regardless of the firearm.

i have an AR also. i think it is more accurate out of the box. after i tinkered with my mini, the difference isn't all that much. my mini and AR cost almost exactly the same. and you must also remember, often people are comparing heavy barrel $1500+ AR's to the mini.....not a fair comparison. but you must remember, the basic action of an AR is very different from the mini. both have advantages and disadvantages.

the older minis got the platform its BAD rep for accuracy....and well earned....by all accounts, it seems some were very bad. but the newer minis imo will shoot with or out shoot almost every other auto loading carbine not named AR.

i think many just get frustrated with ruger as well, for not taking time to refine the mini 14 into a better firearm. i mean the owners have done more to improve the gun than ruger ever has.

also, i still think my mini handles and looks better than my AR. but this is just a preference vs thinking one is better than the other. accuracy isn't the only measuring stick of a quality firearm imo.

remember, i'm no expert on this matter. just my opinions.

Last edited by hawkguy; 12-09-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: a few additons

Old 12-10-2012, 02:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
Hi all,

Like the thread title says I am a new mini-14 owner, and this is my first centerfire rifle. I picked up the stainless steel ranch version of the gun, and am particularly happy with it so far (about 300 rounds through the beast with nary a complaint from 'er).

I've been doing some poking around here, and have come to the conclusion that I'm going to get some bushings from the gundoc, and potentially have him bed my receiver into the stock.

Aside from that, I was wondering if the newer model mini-14s benefit from the accu-strut? I was under the impression that the change to the barrel helped eliminate the stringing problem the older variants had? Any insight there would be nice!
and california....once you get your mini set up as you want, don't forget to post some pics in the gallery and also check out out mini shooting challenge, which is open to any willing mini owner.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
Good advice.
I'm admittedly not a crack shot (something that will come with time, Lord willing), so I don't know how much it will really effect me at this stage of the game. I really did not enjoy the brass flying all over the place, which is why I think I'll find some sort of bushings to make things less crazy on that end of the weapon.

I noticed that it got extremely hot the last time I was at the range, and it felt like it started to wander all over the paper. I was making some very sad looking groups at 50 yards + iron sights, but not sure if that was mostly the weapon or mostly me. I'm leaning towards me! Although, I do notice that the gas block is not at all evenly spaced. When I get the correct allen-wrench, I am going to back it out and tighten it correctly. It's got ~5mm of space difference between the sides. It's really, noticably, bad.

As for accurizing, I was looking into doing something relatively low-impact and not as expensive as the barrel harmonics job, or buying some extreme barrel. Like you (and others) have said: this isn't going to be some sort of sub-MOA tack driver.

I have a lot of fun firing the weapon as-is, my main goal is to just kinda clean it up a little bit. I enjoy minimalism on my weapons, so to keep it looking as stock as possible would be nice. Although I might swap into a laminated stock if the price (and feel) is right! :P

Thanks for the welcome, and once I make the weapon mine I'll post an image. Right now I don't think anyone will be too impressed by a bone-stock rifle right out of the box! Your rifle is flat out pretty, Sir. I'm not a fan of the big, black, leaf blade front sight, but I'm also not in a hurry to spend dollars on some fancy fiber optic thing. I might end up going with a bead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
Minis are very fun to shoot! A Gundoc trigger is a great mod to get if you get a package deal of bedding/trigger and save $$$. I have 2 minis with Gundoc triggers and it will impress you greatly over the factory trigger.
I am seriously thinking about it getting the job-A part done. We'll see how Christmas treats me this year (broke, unemployed, college student). And I'll be taking her out to the range after finals are done with to see if I can't work on my groupings and let y'all know what sort of animal I've got locked up in my house!

Edit one: replies
Edit two: heaping superlatives onto Hawkguy

Last edited by California; 12-10-2012 at 03:00 AM.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:35 AM   #9

Quote:
California;1046041]I'm admittedly not a crack shot (something that will come with time, Lord willing), so I don't know how much it will really effect me at this stage of the game. I really did not enjoy the brass flying all over the place, which is why I think I'll find some sort of bushings to make things less crazy on that end of the weapon.
time. money on ammo. repeat & you'll see your shooting improve. i never minded the brass flying into the next zip code myself, i figure the mini is the only gun that is dangerous both from the front and right side.

Quote:
I noticed that it got extremely hot the last time I was at the range, and it felt like it started to wander all over the paper. I was making some very sad looking groups at 50 yards + iron sights, but not sure if that was mostly the weapon or mostly me. I'm leaning towards me! Although, I do notice that the gas block is not at all evenly spaced. When I get the correct allen-wrench, I am going to back it out and tighten it correctly. It's got ~5mm of space difference between the sides. It's really, noticably, bad.
the gas block being whacked is quite normal. first thing a mini owner should do out of box is even and tourque the gas block. i simply don't understand why ruger doesn't care enough to do this right.

and yeah, my barrel was a scorcher before the accu-strut. it really cooled the barrel down imo.

Quote:
As for accurizing, I was looking into doing something relatively low-impact and not as expensive as the barrel harmonics job, or buying some extreme barrel. Like you (and others) have said: this isn't going to be some sort of sub-MOA tack driver.
you've got the right idea. most start at bedding and trigger job. if you have time, test everything out before and after. these types of reports help us all.

and it shouldn't cost an arm and leg to improve the accuracy to a respectable level.

Quote:
I have a lot of fun firing the weapon as-is, my main goal is to just kinda clean it up a little bit. I enjoy minimalism on my weapons, so to keep it looking as stock as possible would be nice. Although I might swap into a laminated stock if the price (and feel) is right! :P
i hated the ruger synthetic stock personally. but i always prefer wood and steel myself. but i think almost any stock would have to be better than that plastic stock it comes on.

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome, and once I make the weapon mine I'll post an image. Right now I don't think anyone will be too impressed by a bone-stock rifle right out of the box! Your rifle is flat out pretty, Sir. I'm not a fan of the big, black, leaf blade front sight, but I'm also not in a hurry to spend dollars on some fancy fiber optic thing. I might end up going with a bead.
yeah, the irons are somewhat course, but i find they work decently enough. i shoot with scope and red dot more than irons now.

mo-reaper might be worth checking out.

and thanks, i set up my mini just the way i want. its a great little shooter & just fun. as long as you're enjoying shooting that mini, then it was worth it. also remember, most minis seem to smooth out a bit after a few hundred rounds.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
More wisdom
I'll keep that in mind! I'm already having a blast with the weapon, and I can't help but smile a little bit after I put a mag in, pull the charging handle back, and let it go to make that wonderful sound.

If only it went PING at the end of the magazine! :P