New Mini, please help!! - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > New Mini, please help!!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,550
Liked 1931 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
Besides, do i really need a scope for a rifle for range work at 50-100 yards, plus some short range, wooded pig killing?


Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
No, you don't. In fact, you will be quicker on a dynamic target with a red dot.

Edit. factor in your eyesight, of course.
__________________
"You can't reason with a flying crowbar"
Mercator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #42
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 7,684
Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 684

Default

Burris AR-536 or 322 is a bit less,..you want beyond 150 Yds. If you have to actually shoot at a 2 legged target (Possibly) shooting back....just saying...


Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

__________________

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

DrFootball is offline  
ratpacker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CardiacColt68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 728
Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts

Default

But they don't have the eye relief to mount on a forward rail do they? I am not going to mount an optic over the action of the Mini. Just not my thing. I did it on my Ruger Gunsite Scout, but the Mini is a little different.


Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

__________________
CardiacColt68 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: austin,tx
Posts: 4,035
Liked 2846 Times on 1685 Posts
Likes Given: 1872

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
But they don't have the eye relief to mount on a forward rail do they? I am not going to mount an optic over the action of the Mini. Just not my thing. I did it on my Ruger Gunsite Scout, but the Mini is a little different.


Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
just curious...why not mount an optic over the action? just a preference?

if you go with QD rings/mount.....mounting over the action should be fine. i've never had any problems with it.
__________________
hawkguy is offline  
ratpacker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CardiacColt68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 728
Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts

Default New Mini, please help!!

Just a preference. Nothing wrong with it, just want to set mine up as a short range, quick handling rifle. I've got better alternatives for longer range shooting.

Plus in NC we don't have a ton of wide open spaces to shoot long range. If I lived in OK, TX, MT or some place like that I think I'd set it up much differently.


Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

__________________
CardiacColt68 is offline  
hawkguy Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: austin,tx
Posts: 4,035
Liked 2846 Times on 1685 Posts
Likes Given: 1872

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
Just a preference. Nothing wrong with it, just want to set mine up as a short range, quick handling rifle. I've got better alternatives for longer range shooting.

Plus in NC we don't have a ton of wide open spaces to shoot long range. If I lived in OK, TX, MT or some place like that I think I'd set it up much differently.


Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
makes sense, thanks for explaining.
__________________
hawkguy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:08 AM   #47
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CardiacColt68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 728
Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts

Default New Mini, please help!!

Big day for the Mini today. I got my new Aimpoint CompC3 in the mail. It looks nice, and will fit a Mini perfectly. I also put the Mini in the mail to Great Western Gunsmithing for a whole lot of accurizing work. Trigger job, bedding, gas port bushing, cut and crown, muzzle brake. I already added an Ultimak so when it gets back I'll post some pictures of the completed project. It won't be flashy, but it should be a heck of a shooter.


Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

__________________

Last edited by CardiacColt68; 03-20-2014 at 12:11 AM.
CardiacColt68 is offline  
Rocky7 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:37 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,550
Liked 1931 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
Big day for the Mini today. I got my new Aimpoint CompC3 in the mail. It looks nice, and will fit a Mini perfectly. I also put the Mini in the mail to Great Western Gunsmithing for a whole lot of accurizing work. Trigger job, bedding, gas port bushing, cut and crown, muzzle brake. I already added an Ultimak so when it gets back I'll post some pictures of the completed project. It won't be flashy, but it should be a heck of a shooter.


Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
That is going to be a super Mini. Don'tforget the range report.
__________________
"You can't reason with a flying crowbar"
Mercator is offline  
Rocky7 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:40 AM   #49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasco Cty.FL
Posts: 6,572
Liked 2490 Times on 1421 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

Default

I use mine for short brush-@35-65 yards or so.

It's slung, so I like to keep it simple, for speed,

with iron sights only.

As somebody else said, when I'm looking down 300-400 yard

sight-lanes, I use a scoped bolt action.

__________________
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,550
Liked 1931 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I use mine for short brush-@35-65 yards or so.

It's slung, so I like to keep it simple, for speed,

with iron sights only.

As somebody else said, when I'm looking down 300-400 yard

sight-lanes, I use a scoped bolt action.
thats a good point. I probably saved some obey and aggravation when this simple truth dawned on me, and I stopped worrying about the MOA while shooting semiauto carbines.
__________________
"You can't reason with a flying crowbar"
Mercator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Just got a Mini! ccase39 Mini-14 Forum 17 06-21-2013 04:23 AM
mini 14 Les45 Mini-14 Forum 1 08-19-2012 01:25 PM
New to mini 14 kmglocks Mini-14 Forum 6 06-01-2012 04:12 PM
Mini 14 Glasshartt General Rifle Discussion 9 03-09-2010 08:37 PM
Country Shed: Mini-14 / Mini-30 Mag Sale canebrake Firearm Accessories & Gear 0 11-22-2009 04:01 PM