New Mini, please help!! - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > New Mini, please help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 01:17 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

There's a lot of 9X40 scopes going very reasonably right now.

Or you could get your other scopes, and when you are ready to

upgrade the other rifles scopes, you could use one of the scopes

you are upgrading for the mini.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 509 Times on 340 Posts

Well I am leaning toward putting an Ultimak rail and the Leopuld 2.5 x28 Scout Scope on my Mini. I like the idea of a light weight fixed power scope. I'd really like that Leupold with an illuminated reticle without too much added weight, but that doesn't exist yet. The Burris is tempting because I think the heavy duplex might fit a Mini for than a standard duplex, but there seems to be a handful of complaints out there about Burris, and very few about the Leupold. Jonm being the one reputable exception to that rule. Anyone have a scout scope on a Mini?

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 02-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #33

Liked 148 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 73

I considered the VXR Scout, would like the illumination but wanted a BDC reticle as well ( I know, a lot to ask for). The $600 for the Leupold was out of my price range a few months ago, but when I ran across the Nikon Force L.E.R. and looked through one I got it. Really bright and clear. I heard that Burris has come out with a 2-7x Scout scope with BDC. I was less than impressed with the 2 previous Burris scopes I had though. Another pic of the Scout Mini with the Nikon 2.5-8x.

dsc01510.jpg  

Old 02-14-2014, 10:38 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I keep going back and forth between putting a scout scope on it, or an Aimpoint. Mine is a 16.5" tactical model so maybe I am better off just putting a red dot on it and making it my <100 yard fun and HD gun. I think a 1-4 Scout scope with a red dot would be the ticket, but I am not sure the eye relief on the current Leupold would work well. And it isn't a true 1x. Plus putting a scope on the tactical may not balance well or look good. I think I'll take some measurements tomorrow and see how different scopes would line up, and try to estimate how much eye relief I need. Leaning Aimpoint right now on an Ultimak rail.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #35

Liked 148 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 73

The Aimpoint, in my humble opinion, is THE choice when it comes to dots. The only thing you might lack is some magnification for longer shots and target i.d. The Leupold VXR 1-5x Firedot would be the best of both worlds, but I wonder if the advertised 9 inches of eye relief is enough for a scout mount.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The VXR list its eye relief at 6.75-8 inches. Plus it is a freaking foot long and over 14oz. IMO it isn't the right scope for a Mini tactical. SWFA has the VXII also. It doesn't have the illuminated dot, but it has more eye relief, and is shorter and lighter. I think that one is 1.5-4. That is on the list. I'm going to take the Mini out of the safe this weekend, do some cleaning and measuring and try to decide. I also have a Ruger Gunsite Scout that will be set up with a nice 1-6 scope so my Mini doesn't really need to have a scope for longer shots. I would just like to get it set up with something that handles well, and doesn't look like a freak.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Measured my Mini yesterday. The length that will fit the Ultimak rail well and not hang over the end of the barrel too much IMO is about 9 inches. So even the fixed Leupold Scout scope will be too big. The Burris might be OK. I think I will either shoot iron sights, or possibly add an Aimpoint or Eotech. I like the Eotech reticle, but hate to spend $400-$500 on a simple little red dot sight.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:54 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Has anyone tried a peep sight with a fiber optic front sight on their Mini. I see that Meprolight makes a FO front for the Mini. Wondering how a Tech-Sight rear with a fiber optic front would work. And if I tried that is there any value to adding an Ultimak Rail for either a heat sink or aiding in accuracy. Then I would have it ready if a sweet deal ever came up on a nice red dot or reflex sight.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #39
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2374 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 682

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
Well I am leaning toward putting an Ultimak rail and the Leopuld 2.5 x28 Scout Scope on my Mini. I like the idea of a light weight fixed power scope. I'd really like that Leupold with an illuminated reticle without too much added weight, but that doesn't exist yet. The Burris is tempting because I think the heavy duplex might fit a Mini for than a standard duplex, but there seems to be a handful of complaints out there about Burris, and very few about the Leupold. Jonm being the one reputable exception to that rule. Anyone have a scout scope on a Mini?

From past experience with a Mini 30 which was set up with an Amega and an inexpensive 2.5X pistol scope, you are on the right track. The variables are not worth the extra money and extra weight. My 580 series Mini 14 now has an Ultimak and will be carrying a 2X or 2.5X eer. I found you can keep both eyes open with the 2.5X because of the longer eye relief.
http://swfa.com/Nikon-2x20-Force-XR-EER-Handgun-Scope-P51969.aspx
http://swfa.com/Leupold-2x20-FX-II-Handgun-Scope-P3269.aspx

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Scout scope, red dot, scout scope red dot, and back and forth I go. My plan right now is to get some work done by Great Western Gunsmithing. Trigger, bedding, cut and crown and threading for a break. I can add the rail, and then decide. I think a nice red dot would be good, but could see going scope too. But red dot would be lighter and more versatile in close. With the short barrel I have even a 9" scope looks big. But a nice 4-6" red dot would fit well, and not add as much weight. Besides, do i really need a scope for a rifle for range work at 50-100 yards, plus some short range, wooded pig killing?