New Mini, please help!! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > New Mini, please help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 259 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 151

20130403_120417.jpg Here's a picture of my Leupold VX6 1-6x24 CDS Riflescope w/ FireDot Illuminated Reticle on my AR-15 and a ADM scope mount. Just another of the many options for ya.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #12

Liked 314 Times on 221 Posts

If I can talk myself into it I am thinking of spending the money, and getting something illuminated. Leupold makes some 1.5 x 4 or so that might work. But I've got two other scope set ups to buy so the grand total in my head for scopes, rings, mounts and rails is getting a little scary.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1977 Times on 1071 Posts
Likes Given: 587

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x24-Trophy-XLT-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P48386.aspx
I have one of these on my AR. If you want to go over the receiver, Ruger has rings designed for their rifles. The rings attach directly to built in bases on the receiver. This scope requires 30 mm rings. The scope will have to come off for field stripping if you mount it on the receiver. Use red locktite on screws on one side of the rings where it attaches to the receiver. Use blue on the other so it can be removed. The red side will lock your zero. If you register your rifle with Ruger they will give you 20% off on accessories like rings. Shop the price on the scope.
The stock on the Mini was designed for use with iron sights. It has too much drop for a proper cheek weld with the scope mounted over the receiver. You may want to pad the stock or put on a cheek rest for the best handling and accuracy. You should not have to hunt for the sights when the rifle comes up. You should be able to close your eyes and mount the rifle to your shoulder. When you open your eyes, you should be looking at the reticle centered in the scope.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 01-01-2014 at 07:04 PM.
p35bhp55 Likes This 
Old 01-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #14

Liked 108 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
That looks like a nice size scope and set up. What scope and mounts did you use? Is it just on the pre tapped holes on the action?
That's an old Leupold Mark AR 1.5x4, it is now listed as a VX-2 1x4 I think. Paid 299 for it at SWFA and they are selling the VX-2 for that now. I am not familiar with the newest Minis but it sounds like they come with a rail now? If so can the bolt be removed with the rail on? If not the Warne QDs made for the Ruger would be my pick, they are easy on and off and return to zero well. I've tried a number of things with the factory rings and will screw with them no more. The Warnes are in that pic.

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #15

Good info. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:44 AM   #16

Liked 2851 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 1877

Quote:
I bought my first Mini today, and haven't even shot it yet. BUT, I am going to order a couple scopes for other rifles, and would like to order something for the Mini as well. This will be a short range, 200 yard and in rifle for me. Mostly range use at 100 yards, but an occasional hog hunt could happen also. Based on my quick internet research either a fixed magnification scout scope or possibly a 1x4 or 1x5 should suffice. Any experienced opinions on scout vs traditional scopes on the Mini? Rail and mount opinions would help too. Don't be shy, and fire away. This rookie awaits the facts and abuse. Thanks.

BTW, I also will read the manual, and have 500 rounds of Federal ammo to take to the range this weekend.
bit late on this one, but the previouly mentioned redfield rev. 2-7 is what i settled on. great scope, compact, american made, lifetime warranty, good price......it just seems like one of those "perfect fits" for the mini imo.

if i didn't go that route, i'd put a nice 1-4 on a mini.

have fun and do your research!

Old 01-03-2014, 01:51 AM   #17

I was thinking 1x4 on my Mini and a 2x7 on my Ruger Scout. I plan on buying the best glass I can afford, and only doing this once every 20 years or so, so plenty of research is in order. In NC most hog or deer hunting is short range, and the local range only has 100 yard rifle lanes so I don't want to buy a huge, honking scope that is total overkill.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #18

Quote:
I was thinking 1x4 on my Mini and a 2x7 on my Ruger Scout. I plan on buying the best glass I can afford, and only doing this once every 20 years or so, so plenty of research is in order. In NC most hog or deer hunting is short range, and the local range only has 100 yard rifle lanes so I don't want to buy a huge, honking scope that is total overkill.
i recently went through the optics dilemma with my AR. i had settled on the redfield w/QD rings for my mini several years ago.

i like the idea of 1-4 optics, some don't. i got a nikon m-223 (point blank reticle) 1-4 for my AR and i am very very happy with it so far (even got a good sale! ). i think this scope lends itself to quick shots made on targets up close and up to 200 yards away. another good option is the nikon african monarch with the german reticle.

i really liked the leupold 1.5-4 with the illumination, but for the price.....(400)...i felt i could not overlook that it wasn't a true 1X.....i really wanted as true to a 1X as i could get to sub this as irons when the scope is on the gun. scoped i had no co-witness, so i wanted to have a true 1X myself....your wants/needs may be different.

i wanted a compact scope that could act as substitute irons and get me some magnification. a compromise between quick shots and the ability to reach out a bit.

here were my top contenders, i ended up with the nikon m-223 (the best in MY price range imo, i got it for $220 on sale. my only gripe is is a little bit (1") longer than i wanted it to be.):

weaver 1-3:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183610/weaver-classic-v-series-rifle-scope-1-3x-20mm-dual-x-reticle-matte

nikon 1-4 m 223

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/786479/nikon-m-223-rifle-scope-1-4x-20mm-point-blank-reticle-matte

leupold 1.5-4 illuminated

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/970585/leupold-mark-ar-mod-1-rifle-scope-15-4x-20mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-green-illuminated-firedot-spr-reticle-matte

another leupold i found interesting:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/330994/leupold-vx-hog-rifle-scope-1-4x-20mm-pig-plex-reticle-matte

the redfield revolution 2-7 (this is what sits on my mini, great imo for the $):

http://swfa.com/Redfield-2-7x33-Revolution-Rifle-Scope-P44466.aspx

hope helps a bit....good luck.....there is so dang much out there.....hope you find what really works for you. my suggestion is that if there is anywhere you can go and look through a half dozen scopes you think you might want, it can really eliminate many you think you might have wanted as well as surprise you with some you did not consider.....remember also, if you don't like what you bought....return it!

again, good luck and be patient.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #19

Wow, thanks for all that. I am kind of leaning toward a Leupold for the USA factor and the warranty. I need to get one for my 308 also, so hopefully I can haggle a little bit. PLUS I need a scope for my 22 also. This is all gonna hurt.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Wow, thanks for all that. I am kind of leaning toward a Leupold for the USA factor and the warranty. I need to get one for my 308 also, so hopefully I can haggle a little bit. PLUS I need a scope for my 22 also. This is all gonna hurt.
you're welcome, but i'm no expert so please take any advice as a novice opinion.

and remember, redfield (at least the revolution) is made in USA by leupold in the same factory and has the same warranty. basically redfield = a leupold that costs less....... just FYI.

i only wish there was a 1-4 redfield.....unfortunately, not one that i am aware of. imo, the redfield revolution is among the best quality for the money. and the redfiled's generally cost 40-60 less than the comparable leupold.....and they are the same scope essentially.