Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   New Mini, please help!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/new-mini-please-help-102220/)

CardiacColt68 01-01-2014 12:13 AM

New Mini, please help!!

I bought my first Mini today, and haven't even shot it yet. BUT, I am going to order a couple scopes for other rifles, and would like to order something for the Mini as well. This will be a short range, 200 yard and in rifle for me. Mostly range use at 100 yards, but an occasional hog hunt could happen also. Based on my quick internet research either a fixed magnification scout scope or possibly a 1x4 or 1x5 should suffice. Any experienced opinions on scout vs traditional scopes on the Mini? Rail and mount opinions would help too. Don't be shy, and fire away. This rookie awaits the facts and abuse. Thanks.

BTW, I also will read the manual, and have 500 rounds of Federal ammo to take to the range this weekend.

Steel_Talon 01-01-2014 12:33 AM

I prefer a fixed 4power or 6 power scope on a mini.

sandog 01-01-2014 01:50 PM

I like mounting a scope in the forward scout position for many reasons, but a good 1-4x or 1-5x variable would serve you well mounted over the action, and mounting there would give you a lot more choices in optics. I would not go over a 2-7x variable, more power than 2-7x isn't needed, and anything larger looks goofy and ruins the balance and feel of such a handy rifle like the Mini. The Redfield Revolution 2-7x is compact and light, good glass, and made in Oregon at the Leupold factory. With the available Accurange reticle, you can sight the crosshair intersection for 100 yards, and use the circle and dot down below for longer range hold overs. I have a Leupold 1.5-4x Mark Ar with the green Fire Dot lighted dot on my Ar. These are made for .223's, as the reticle (the SPR anyway) has hash marks for holdover with the 62 grain green tip ammo out to 800 yards. The elevation turret is calibrated for 55 grain ammo, just takes a couple seconds longer to look at the turret and click it to the range you want. I can't imagine a better optic for dim light hunting for animals such as hogs. I lived in Texas until I went into the army, and shooting at hogs, especially at night is a close range affair, rare are the long shots. With a fixed 4x or 6x, you are gonna have a hard time finding a hog up close, but with your scope set on 1.5x, much easier. And the lighted dot is just icing on the cake. You don't even need to turn the dot on for most shooting, but when the light is dim or you are shooting with brush as a background, that dot makes it very easy to pick up the center of the cross hair. Nikon also makes a scope that is designedfor a .223, the P-223, but no lighted dot and no variable smaller than 3-9x. They do have a fixed 3x carbine model. Here's a review I did of the Leupold Mark AR on Ruger forum.net:
http://rugerforum.net/optics/87184-leupold-mark-ar-1-5-4x-scope-review.html

sandog 01-01-2014 01:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the Redfield 2-7x on my CZ .22, the Leupold Mark AR on my AR, and the Nikon "Scout mount" 2.5-8x w/ BDC on the Mini.

1stmini 01-01-2014 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
bought the weaver see through mounts for mine so I can still use the iron sights , have not had a chance to shoot it yet , to cold here in Mi

p35bhp55 01-01-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 (Post 1471516)
I bought my first Mini today, and haven't even shot it yet. BUT, I am going to order a couple scopes for other rifles, and would like to order something for the Mini as well. This will be a short range, 200 yard and in rifle for me. Mostly range use at 100 yards, but an occasional hog hunt could happen also. Based on my quick internet research either a fixed magnification scout scope or possibly a 1x4 or 1x5 should suffice. Any experienced opinions on scout vs traditional scopes on the Mini? Rail and mount opinions would help too. Don't be shy, and fire away. This rookie awaits the facts and abuse. Thanks.

BTW, I also will read the manual, and have 500 rounds of Federal ammo to take to the range this weekend.

What kind of mini did you buy and what do you want it configured as? Will it be a sporter or an alternative to an M forgery? Is it an older pencil barrel or the new taper...Or a target model? There is a big aftermarket and you could go so many ways. One thing I will say is if you are going to mount optics in the factory "dovetails" figure out the max height you will need and get Warne QD rings. I have a 3x9x40 in the standard height model if that helps. The scope pretty much has to come off to get the bolt out and the Warnes make this easy.

CardiacColt68 01-01-2014 04:15 PM

It's a new Mini with the tapered 16 1/2 barrel. It'l be a sporter used for the range, hogs and home defense. So it seems to me that a small scope or even a red dot may be the way to go. I don't want to have a big ole scope on a little carbine.

p35bhp55 01-01-2014 05:12 PM

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachments/f95/113300d1375928848-how-many-what-next-phone-trash-065.jpg

Mine looks like this it is very handy, More so than even my pared down S&W 15 Sport

CardiacColt68 01-01-2014 06:51 PM

That looks like a nice size scope and set up. What scope and mounts did you use? Is it just on the pre tapped holes on the action?

JTJ 01-01-2014 07:06 PM

Amega and Ultimak make very good front rails that replace the handguard. You dont need moe than 2x or 2.5x on a scout scope. Nikon has a nice 2x eer for about $200.