New Mini 14 owner - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > New Mini 14 owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I agree, you don't need to buy expensive ammo to break in the gun. I have fired various loads through my Tactical and haven't had any problems.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pictures and Nikon P-223 3-9x40mm

Sorry it took too long to post pics. My wife just bought me the Nikon P-223 3-9x40mm today and I finally got a camera. I installed the scope with a UTG MNT-214D, because the front of the scope was touching the top rail system with the factory rings. This mount is pretty cool, I am able to still use the iron sights. I haven't gone to the range yet to shoot my Mini. I will keep you guys posted. Hope you guys like it.

img_3744_edit.jpg   img_3745_edit.jpg   img_3746_edit.jpg   img_3722_edit.jpg   img_3727_edit.jpg  

img_3742_edit.jpg  

Last edited by bountytracker; 06-02-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Pics
masterPsmith Likes This 
Old 06-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 321 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 143

You rear sight looks like an upgrade to the flip up puppy mine came with many a year ago. I installed a 3-9 w 40 mm and it barely fits w factory stock. I've always been in the low a mount as possible school of thought so please let me know how yours works out.

When you read the barrel conditioning thread, that may have been the ammo the clerk was referring to. But I always try to think the best of people until they prove me wrong.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:41 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1828 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 4066

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
Good advise! Some will like 45 gr Winchester and some will like the heavy stuff like 60-69 gr bullets. Use the cheap 55 gr for break in and fun plinking. That's great that your wife bought the gun for you! Does she have a sister???
That was my thought exactly, "Does she have a sister?" A wife that buys you nice stuff for your birthday, imagine that.

I believe in breaking in the barrel, and I have a long drawn out process for it. But I don't think it's critical. All barrels get copper fouling. Guns in general shoot more accurately with just a little fouling (almost none). Proper cleaning will remove fouling and shooting combined with proper cleaning will eventually smooth out the bore which leads to less fouling. Breaking in a barrel, all though long and tedious, just speeds up the process of smoothing out the bore. Everyone has their own opinion on how to break in a barrel or whether or not it's even necessary. It's just something you have to read up on and form your own opinion about.

Like Hawkguy said, check out the thread on barrel conditioning.

And congrats on the new MINI!!!!

Old 06-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #15

Federal XM-193 55 grain is good general purpose ammo. There are a lot of on line ammo stores if you search around you will find some decent deals on it. A lot of folks swear by TulaAmmo steel cased ammo for low cost non reload-able. I personally haven't shot any of it. Tried some Wolf steel cased stuff at one point and had problems with it sticking in the chamber as it had some lacquer coating on it that would melt onto the wall of the chamber. I hear they went to a new coating and that problem is history, but I haven't been in a rush to buy any more of it.
I like shooting V-Max reloads from time to time for accuracy. Black Hills blue box reman ammo is a good value for accurate ammo, but still kind of pricey compared to XM-193.