New Mini 14 owner
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > New Mini 14 owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New Mini 14 owner

I'm currently a new Mini 14 owner. My wife bought it for me for my birthday this past week. It's the new tactical series black 582 with folding stock. She also bought me a UTG bipod and adjustable foregrip for it. I haven't taken it to the range yet. I was wondering if there was a certain type of ammo I should be shooting to break it in and what type of ammo should I use regularly in it. I'll try to get some pics of it soon. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
There isn't really any special ammo for breaking in a gun. You may find it functions better or is more accurate with some kinds though.
Just buy the right caliber and put rounds down range.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. I'll do that. I was just wondering because the sales person at another gun store (not where my wife bought it) said I had to use some special ammo to break it in. I thought that was something new that I never heard of.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

He was probably trying to sell the most expensive stuff he had.
I've never heard such a thing.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your right. I just realized that. He told me that the cheaper ones were on backorder for a couple months. I'm glad I found this forum.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #6

Liked 2926 Times on 1741 Posts
Likes Given: 1958

welcome! you should like that mini, i love mine! there are a few posters hanging around that can help you with just about any question related to your mini and then some.

i think you should check out a thread below called barrel conditioning. it was made by steve4102 who has forgotten more than i will ever know about minis. while i don't think it is necessary to break in the barrel, it could give you good results/improvements on your accuracy.

before you do any serious tests on accuracy, run a few hundred through it and enjoy it. oh! and lets see your b-day present in the gallery!

ps-i have never gotten a b-day present that good!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy
welcome! you should like that mini, i love mine! there are a few posters hanging around that can help you with just about any question related to your mini and then some.

i think you should check out a thread below called barrel conditioning. it was made by steve4102 who has forgotten more than i will ever know about minis. while i don't think it is necessary to break in the barrel, it could give you good results/improvements on your accuracy.

before you do any serious tests on accuracy, run a few hundred through it and enjoy it. oh! and lets see your b-day present in the gallery!

ps-i have never gotten a b-day present that good!
Thanks. I'll check out that thread when I get home. I just got a call and my wife just bought me a tactical light with the pressure trigger. Can't wait to install it tonight.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #8

Likes Given: 1

I would say have fun with your new mini. Buy several different bullt grain sizes. to see what yours likes the best or groups better with.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #9

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbernater View Post
I would say have fun with your new mini. Buy several different bullt grain sizes. to see what yours likes the best or groups better with.
Good advise! Some will like 45 gr Winchester and some will like the heavy stuff like 60-69 gr bullets. Use the cheap 55 gr for break in and fun plinking. That's great that your wife bought the gun for you! Does she have a sister???

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70

Good advise! Some will like 45 gr Winchester and some will like the heavy stuff like 60-69 gr bullets. Use the cheap 55 gr for break in and fun plinking. That's great that your wife bought the gun for you! Does she have a sister???
Thanks. Lol. I'll try to get pics up soon of the mini.