New guy with questions. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > New guy with questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Welcome to the forum and to Mini 14 Ownership. I'm a new Mini owner myself as of September and I've put about 1000 rounds through my Mini so far. It's a great shooter and a ton of fun at the range. I have shot a wide variety of ammunition so far without a single hiccup. I've used Brown Bear and it shoots perfectly in my Mini. As does WPA, Wolf, Tula, Remington, UMC, Federal, Winchester and Freedom Munitions. It'll take the 5.56 or the .223 all day in steel or brass and doesn't flinch a bit. As for warranty issues... I dunno. I never read the manual. I guess I should though.

As for magazines, I'm a believer in the phrase, "You get what you pay for." My advice? Pony up a few bucks extra and get the Ruger magazines. Everyone I've talked to will tell you that the Mini 14 loves Ruger magazines the best. They're not that much more expensive than the aftermarket counterparts and they work every single time. I have three of the 20-round magazines and a 5-round magazine. I rarely use more than one magazine even when out at the range. I'll typically shoot 20, stop and reload and converse with my range buddies and then get back to shooting. If I'm out at the family farm or something, I'll load up all three of them and have at it, but the outdoor range I'm a member of isn't set up for me to just go blasting away at anything I want to so I typically shoot a little slower and just use the one. Get one or two Ruger magazines now and a couple later. I'm planning on ordering another few after Christmas just to have because there's a chance that they'll get hard to find at some point and I'd like to have a handful of them in my range bag for just such an occasion.

As for the grip... I dunno. Hopefully someone else can come along and help you out. I know a lot of people are fond of the Tapco stocks and they should be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

Hope this helps you out. Enjoy that Mini!!!

Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"
Dixieduo Likes This 
Old 12-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #12

Likes Given: 15

Thank you for all the info. I am glad that someone loves the mini like I do. It is so much fun just to shoot. I have a berm set up in the very back of our acreage and have been shooting everyday since purchase. Its like an addiction, because every night after shooting I keep scanning the web for accessories and what not. May have to purchase another one just so I can go full-tilt ''bubba'' on it. LOL I do know that I want the one I have know to be accurate and precise to hunt hogs with. Along with being able to take it Coyote hunting with my brother in Indy. Keep the info coming guys because I am soaking it all in.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #13

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I have a 580 series with the thin barrel profile. After adding an accustrut and getting a trigger job I retorqed the gas block because it looked uneven. It was. My brass falls about 5-6 ft away at my 4 O'clock which is better than it was. I have a T6 Tapco stock and Im thinking the pistol grip can be changed out to one you like better. Dont know for sure though. I have several ruger factory 20rd mags and a few promag 20rd mags. The promags I have are as good as the ruger mags, but not all of them are good. Kinda hit or miss if they work well or not. I love my mini-14. It shoots 1.25'' groups @100yrds with my handloads shooting in a rest. I load 55gr. 60gr. 65gr. and 69gr. all sierra bullets. They are the best bullet for the money in my opinion.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:29 AM   #14

Likes Given: 15

I would love to have mine drop that close. We spend close to an hour searching for the spent rounds. LOL.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #15

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

If you have a scoped rifle you can lay a shop rag over the scope and ejection side to drop the brass at you feet. The also sell brass catchers at Brownells.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #16

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Steel works better in the combloc guns, which have looser tolerances

on the bolt, and ejector systems.

The brass is much more forgiving on American guns, with the tighter

tolerances.