Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   New guy with questions. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/new-guy-questions-77111/)

Dixieduo 11-26-2012 03:37 AM

New guy with questions.

Hello all! I am a new Mini-14 owner and had a few questions. My mini is a 582 series and I was curious what you guys thought about steel vs brass? I don't reload so I wouldn't be saving the brass. I just didn't want the steel to mess up my rifle. So far it has had 160rds ran through with the only problem being the mag not the ammo. Aftermarket Pro mags seem to lose more than they hold. I will be buying new mags this week and thats my next question. Besides the factory Ruger mags what do you guys suggest?
Now my final question is about the stock. I bought a TapCo stock with fore-grip. My question is do they make a pistol grip with the finger grooves that can be switched out for the one on the TapCo stock?
I am sure that all of these questions have been asked before and I looked but didn't see them. So please be nice to the new guy and help me out. Thanks in advance!

Blueguns 11-26-2012 03:59 AM

Sometimes steel cases will void a warranty. I'm not sure about that particular gun. I'd give the owners manual a once over, it will probably mention whether steel cases will void your warranty or not.

Dixieduo 11-26-2012 12:21 PM

I will check into that,,thank you.

tri70 11-26-2012 02:41 PM

Most of the mini 14's will shoot steel just fine, the mini 30's had the problem with some firing pins. Most people will shoot both brass and steel without issue. Factory mags work best but you can take some lineman pliers and put a slight bend on the feed lips to get them to hold the rounds. CDNN has factory mags for $25.99 right now that is the best deal most have found.

hawkguy 11-26-2012 09:49 PM

welcome to the forum.

personally, i stick with american made brass. you can get some decent deals through federal, rem umc, and american eagle bulk packs. my mini 14 is in excess of 1400 rounds with only one jam. i personally don't mind paying a bit extra to support american jobs, but that is only my opinion.

can't help you much with the tapco issue. but this is a good forum, someone will probably have an answer for you.

Dixieduo 11-26-2012 11:13 PM

Thanks guys. I too believe in supporting american jobs and small business owners,but for a few rounds to basically waste and see how it fired I bought some Brown Bear .223's. They worked good except for the mags not wanting to hold them in. I blame this on the fact that they are a formed plastic with no metal to keep them rigid.The only other issue I had was ejection distance of the spent rnds. I have seen a previous thread stating this can be lowered with a new gas block. My only thing is they never say if this helps with the 582 series. I am sure after a little time and tweeking it will be a very nice shooter.
Once again thanks for the advice and help, please keep it coming.

tri70 11-27-2012 12:29 AM

They are brass slingers! Most of us use a gas bushing kit sold by Gundoc or ASI.

Dixieduo 11-27-2012 12:45 AM

Is this an add-on to the stock gas block or is it something I have to add to the new block?

tri70 11-27-2012 02:45 PM

Most are 3 pc kit with 3 different sizes, they are drop in replacements for the stock bushing size. You have to take the screws out and drop the gas block half down to pull the stock bushign out. Replace with a desired size, the bushing also hold the piston into the gas block and should be a little loose with movement. Place back on barrel to other half and tighten screws in an 'X' pattern with an equal amount of torque as possible to prevent uneven pressure on the barrel.

Dixieduo 11-27-2012 07:12 PM

I will definately be looking into those. Right now I am trying to find a scope mount like the UTG kind here locally. I hate having to order off-line. I like the idea of going in the store buying it,coming home installing it, then go out back and shoot away.