Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > new to forum...my mini

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 02:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2040 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Default new to forum...my mini

hey y'all

i post on a few forums, and thought i'd check this one out. i'm pretty new to firearms overall, but i enjoy coming to these forums to share and learn. i already see some familiar names on the board.

here is a pic of my mini 14. it had been a great gun & a pretty good shooter as well. i'm always looking for info & ideas about my guns.

hawkguy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2011, 04:39 AM   #2

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the FTF community.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #3

Default Synthetic stock?

My minis both have synthetic stocks.. I am rough with some of my guns and the synthetic stocks dont get scratches and dings as easely as wood. Wood gives it a classy look.. The synthetic stock gives it a more military look..

Hawkeye, is your mini .223 or 7.62?

Old 06-25-2011, 02:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Welcome to the FTF community.
thanks for the welcome!

Old 06-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizy View Post
My minis both have synthetic stocks.. I am rough with some of my guns and the synthetic stocks dont get scratches and dings as easely as wood. Wood gives it a classy look.. The synthetic stock gives it a more military look..

Hawkeye, is your mini .223 or 7.62?
i hear you, the synthetic stocks are much more durable. i am so careful not to ding my pretty wood stock , which is not very practical. i just like the look of wood so much better...and my wood stock fits so tight, i think it has benefited accuracy. after a gas block re-torque and even, and an accu-strut, my mini is about a 2" shooter with good ammo.

its a 580 mini 14 .223. here is a recent target pic hitting 15 out of 20 in a 2" sticker @ 100. i just had my first jam after 700 + rounds. i am really happy with this gun, especially considering all the horror stories of problems with minis recently.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i hear you, the synthetic stocks are much more durable. i am so careful not to ding my pretty wood stock , which is not very practical. i just like the look of wood so much better...and my wood stock fits so tight, i think it has benefited accuracy. after a gas block re-torque and even, and an accu-strut, my mini is about a 2" shooter with good ammo.

its a 580 mini 14 .223. here is a recent target pic hitting 15 out of 20 in a 2" sticker @ 100. i just had my first jam after 700 + rounds. i am really happy with this gun, especially considering all the horror stories of problems with minis recently.
Sadly, most of the people who slam the Mini have never owned or fired one.

I've had one since 1983 and have enjoyed shooting thousands of flawless rounds through mine. So, it doesn't print dime size groups at 100 yards. Your picture says it all regarding the gun's ability to be plenty accurate for its intended purpose. If I want a tack driver, I'll pull out one of my bolt-actions.

ETA: Welcome by the way!!!

Old 06-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Sadly, most of the people who slam the Mini have never owned or fired one.

I've had one since 1983 and have enjoyed shooting thousands of flawless rounds through mine. So, it doesn't print dime size groups at 100 yards. Your picture says it all regarding the gun's ability to be plenty accurate for its intended purpose. If I want a tack driver, I'll pull out one of my bolt-actions.

ETA: Welcome by the way!!!
internet rumors spread by people who have no actual knowledge is certainly part of the problem.

i also think people give up on minis too quick. first off, fire 200 rounds or so through it, and you will see accuracy improve in most cases. (my mini started out shooting all over the place, but after 200-300 rounds broke in nicely). next, you have to expect to tweak an "out of the box" mini a bit to get it to shoot pretty well (and minis are also picky on ammo, you have to do some testing). but usually a few inexpensive mods will turn most minis into 2-3 inch shooters, which is as good or better than any other autoloading carbine (excluding ARs).

i like the classic look and feel of a mini way more than the other comparable options (AR, AK, SKS). my dream guns are M1A, M1 carbines, and M1 garands. but at basically half the price, i'll stick with my mini!

Old 06-26-2011, 03:38 AM   #8

Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Welcome to the forum Hawkguy. We always need more Mini fans.

Jim............

Old 06-30-2011, 12:27 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Welcome..........

Now that is one nice looking Mini and looks like it shoots good too..........

I've been pondering a Mini........One of the new models with the synthetic furniture and flashider. I've always been an AK fan but the eyes have a little more trouble with the sites than they used to and I've always liked Mini's......Just never found myself in the position to buy one.

"Listen, stupid..... The first week I was in this joint, somebody stole my Red Cross package, my blanket, and my left shoe. Well, since then I've wised up. This ain't no Salvation Army - this is everybody for himself, dog eat dog."

"In Confusion.......There Is Profit"
Lt. Nick Holden USN

Old 06-30-2011, 12:52 AM   #10

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome!! Beautiful mini btw. Nice shooting.