Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   new to forum...my mini (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/new-forum-my-mini-44311/)

hawkguy 06-25-2011 02:39 AM

new to forum...my mini

1 Attachment(s)
hey y'all

i post on a few forums, and thought i'd check this one out. i'm pretty new to firearms overall, but i enjoy coming to these forums to share and learn. i already see some familiar names on the board.

here is a pic of my mini 14. it had been a great gun & a pretty good shooter as well. i'm always looking for info & ideas about my guns.

hawkguy

CA357 06-25-2011 04:39 AM

Welcome to the FTF community.

bizy 06-25-2011 07:23 AM

Synthetic stock?

My minis both have synthetic stocks.. I am rough with some of my guns and the synthetic stocks dont get scratches and dings as easely as wood. Wood gives it a classy look.. The synthetic stock gives it a more military look..

Hawkeye, is your mini .223 or 7.62?

hawkguy 06-25-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 528952)
Welcome to the FTF community.

thanks for the welcome!

hawkguy 06-25-2011 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizy (Post 528986)
My minis both have synthetic stocks.. I am rough with some of my guns and the synthetic stocks dont get scratches and dings as easely as wood. Wood gives it a classy look.. The synthetic stock gives it a more military look..

Hawkeye, is your mini .223 or 7.62?

i hear you, the synthetic stocks are much more durable. i am so careful not to ding my pretty wood stock :p, which is not very practical. i just like the look of wood so much better...and my wood stock fits so tight, i think it has benefited accuracy. after a gas block re-torque and even, and an accu-strut, my mini is about a 2" shooter with good ammo.

its a 580 mini 14 .223. here is a recent target pic hitting 15 out of 20 in a 2" sticker @ 100. i just had my first jam after 700 + rounds. i am really happy with this gun, especially considering all the horror stories of problems with minis recently.

Snakedriver 06-25-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkguy (Post 529053)
i hear you, the synthetic stocks are much more durable. i am so careful not to ding my pretty wood stock :p, which is not very practical. i just like the look of wood so much better...and my wood stock fits so tight, i think it has benefited accuracy. after a gas block re-torque and even, and an accu-strut, my mini is about a 2" shooter with good ammo.

its a 580 mini 14 .223. here is a recent target pic hitting 15 out of 20 in a 2" sticker @ 100. i just had my first jam after 700 + rounds. i am really happy with this gun, especially considering all the horror stories of problems with minis recently.

Sadly, most of the people who slam the Mini have never owned or fired one.:(

I've had one since 1983 and have enjoyed shooting thousands of flawless rounds through mine. So, it doesn't print dime size groups at 100 yards. Your picture says it all regarding the gun's ability to be plenty accurate for its intended purpose. If I want a tack driver, I'll pull out one of my bolt-actions. ;)

ETA: Welcome by the way!!!

hawkguy 06-25-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakedriver (Post 529095)
Sadly, most of the people who slam the Mini have never owned or fired one.:(

I've had one since 1983 and have enjoyed shooting thousands of flawless rounds through mine. So, it doesn't print dime size groups at 100 yards. Your picture says it all regarding the gun's ability to be plenty accurate for its intended purpose. If I want a tack driver, I'll pull out one of my bolt-actions. ;)

ETA: Welcome by the way!!!

internet rumors spread by people who have no actual knowledge is certainly part of the problem.

i also think people give up on minis too quick. :confused: first off, fire 200 rounds or so through it, and you will see accuracy improve in most cases. (my mini started out shooting all over the place, but after 200-300 rounds broke in nicely). next, you have to expect to tweak an "out of the box" mini a bit to get it to shoot pretty well (and minis are also picky on ammo, you have to do some testing). but usually a few inexpensive mods will turn most minis into 2-3 inch shooters, which is as good or better than any other autoloading carbine (excluding ARs).

i like the classic look and feel of a mini way more than the other comparable options (AR, AK, SKS). my dream guns are M1A, M1 carbines, and M1 garands. but at basically half the price, i'll stick with my mini! :)

masterPsmith 06-26-2011 03:38 AM

Welcome to the forum Hawkguy. We always need more Mini fans.

Jim............

Charley 06-30-2011 12:27 AM

Welcome..........

Now that is one nice looking Mini and looks like it shoots good too..........

I've been pondering a Mini........One of the new models with the synthetic furniture and flashider. I've always been an AK fan but the eyes have a little more trouble with the sites than they used to and I've always liked Mini's......Just never found myself in the position to buy one.

Boyerracing343 06-30-2011 12:52 AM

Welcome!! Beautiful mini btw. Nice shooting.