Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   New to the Forum -Mini 14 magazine question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/new-forum-mini-14-magazine-question-25594/)

lonesomedove 04-03-2010 10:02 PM

New to the Forum -Mini 14 magazine question

Recently purchased a mini with 1 Ruger mag. and 2 after market. I have heard ther is a way to modify the AR 15 mags to run in the mini. Does anyone have experience doing this or perhaps you can direct me to find the answer?

Thanks in advance

KMO 04-03-2010 10:34 PM

I wouldn't bother with that pursuit. It will involve modifying the Mini's mag well, and what would be the point, to save a few bucks on magazines? The Mini-14 is known for being pretty picky on mags, and you will hear varying reports of success with aftermarket products. I've gone to almost exclusive use of Ruger factory mags, which are pretty reasonable at CDNN online. I've also had good luck with the "older" Thermold magazines. I hear the newer ones aren't so great, and that Thermold is in trouble as a company. So, factory mags it is. I wouldn't try any shortcuts that may cheapen the value of your rifle, and possibly compromise safety.

lonesomedove 04-03-2010 11:10 PM

Ruger Magazine question.

WOW! You guys are very responsive. Received an answer within minutes of my post. Thanks for the information. Just as I suspected with the AR 15 modifications. Thanks again and you've got a fan in Louisiana!!

deth502 04-04-2010 01:41 AM

no modifications need to be done to the magwell or the rifle at all.

you will, however, lost the bolt hold open feature, unless you mod the follower, and if you do, the mags will no longer work in an ar.

KMO 04-04-2010 02:01 AM

Quote:

no modifications need to be done to the magwell or the rifle at all.
Hmmm...If you're saying the AR magazines will just pop right into a Mini-14 and work, that just isn't so, at least not with any I have seen.

Deadman1 04-04-2010 03:09 AM

Well, I got to wondering myself so...

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/p...143/004-19.jpg

The mini mag is on the left, AR on the right. The AR mag wont slide in the Mini magwell as it seems to be about 1/16th of an inch wider. I've got a ton of old AR mags but only a few Mini mags so I was hoping!

deth502 04-04-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMO (Post 263716)
Hmmm...If you're saying the AR magazines will just pop right into a Mini-14 and work, that just isn't so, at least not with any I have seen.

no, im not saying that, im saying the mags need to be modded, not the rifle.

KMO 04-04-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

no, im not saying that, im saying the mags need to be modded, not the rifle.
OK, thanks for clarifying. But, I still have to ask, why bother? Mini-14's are already pretty picky when it comes to magazines. I can't see a modified AR mag being very reliable, especially if they have to be squished down by a full 1/16" in order to fit (see above photo)...:cool:

deth502 04-04-2010 03:48 PM

its not 1/16" there isint much to do to mod one.

that said, i completely agree. ive never had anything but factory ruger mags work in my ruger, and even theyre not 100%. i have one of 6 that still wont feed right.

ive never tried this before, but i know someone who had tried without much luck. i must say though, ive been hearing this on a few sites lately, and its getting me curious. i think i may try one and see how hard it is to actually get it to run well in a mini.

masterPsmith 04-04-2010 05:10 PM

Don't waste your time on trying to make AR mags work. Too many before you have tried and failed for one reason or another. Stay with the factory mags and you should be fine. Most of my extra mags are USA Mags from many years ago and have never had failures of any kind in any of my Mini's.

Jim..........