Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > My New to me Mini 14 jams!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 12:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a 183-series Mini-14 and if your 181-series wasn't slinging the brass into the next county (province), I would guess that MasterPsmith has nailed it and someone has messed with the gas port with perhaps some buffers thrown in. That can all be fixed.

By the way, recently I took my factory 5-round Ruger magazine that came with the gun to the range just for yucks & giggles, but I couldn't get it to work at all. It's never been used to fire a single round as far as I know. If they will let you have the Ruger 10, 20 or 30 round Ruger Magazines in Canada, I suggest you try some of those and see if that helps your issues.

Good luck with your Mini, believe me they are reliable if you can get the bugs out that may have been installed by "Bubba". Mine has never missed a beat using Ruger 20's and 55 grain bullets.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:52 AM   #12

"I have read that most people find that the casings are ejected into the "next county" however mine seems to only go a couple feet like most other guns I have used."

"Another possibility would be that someone has installed a smaller gas port bushing that is too small for the ammo that you are using."

That sounds like the most likely thing to me, and/or a cleaning issue.

What, me worry?

Old 03-01-2011, 01:45 AM   #13

I fired 15 more remington with no problems yesturday. Hopefully I will get a chance to take it apart this week.

how would I find out which twist is in my barrel? Does the serial number give it away?

Old 03-01-2011, 02:18 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 View Post
I fired 15 more remington with no problems yesturday. Hopefully I will get a chance to take it apart this week.

how would I find out which twist is in my barrel? Does the serial number give it away?
You see us talking about the "Series" of our Mini-14's? That's determined by the first 3 numbers of your serial number. In your case, the 181-series says you have a 1:10 twist.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:27 AM   #15

Thanks just figured that out myself via google aswell , As long as everyone agrees from what I have read 55grain bullets should technically be the best for me? How should 45 grains fire equally well or?

Old 03-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #16

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The 45 grainers will shoot well also.

Jim.......

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #17

Masterp- made comment elsewere about not being a fan of the mini-thirty. Can you explain your thoughts, also how about 6.8spc in the mini.... I would value your opinion as I have read many of your comments and suggestions thru-out this talk forum....

Old 03-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #18

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The 6.8spc is a great round in the newer Mini's with the heavier barrel. Would make a very good deer getter out to 100 yards in my opinion. The major problems with the older Mini's in 7.62X39 was lack of accuracy and heat retention with the thinner barrels. They also had problems with breaking firing pins and extractors due to hard primer cups and steel cased ammo depending on the ammo manufacture. If you want a light, fast handling, easy to carry carbine for deer and/or hog, the 6.8spc would be a good choice in the newer 581 series rifle.

Jim...........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

Last edited by masterPsmith; 03-06-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:44 AM   #19

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

A new Semi or Full Auto needs lots of oil before break in. Shoot-em jucie the oil will allow the rifle to run in over tight spots. After a few rounds maybe 100 it will most likely work. Most shooters shoot new rifles dry and have never ending problems. After break in you can use proper lubing for your rifle.

DK

Old 03-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #20

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
A new Semi or Full Auto needs lots of oil before break in. Shoot-em jucie the oil will allow the rifle to run in over tight spots. After a few rounds maybe 100 it will most likely work. Most shooters shoot new rifles dry and have never ending problems. After break in you can use proper lubing for your rifle.

DK
There have been NO NEW Full Auto AC556's/Mini-14's for a long time.