Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > My New to me Mini 14 jams!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My New to me Mini 14 jams!?

I just got a mini 14 (181 series stainless) today after reading how reliable they are etc I was looking forward to trying it out. However after firing 30 shots or so it jammed on me 3 or 4 times. When it jams the empty casing gets caught sideways instead of being ejected properly however a new shell makes it into the chamber and I have to remove both the empty case and the new shell from the chamber before it will fire again. Is there something that needs to be cleaned or adjusted (it seems to be pretty clean already)? I have read that most people find that the casings are ejected into the "next county" however mine seems to only go a couple feet like most other guns I have used.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #2

Liked 272 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Do you have factory magazines with it? If not, that could be your problem.

There are good aftermarket mags for these but I don't know which ones are good or not. I know that when I had bought bargin basement mags for the ones I have had thay they usually caused this similar problem your having.

I only have factory Ruger mags for the one I have now.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #3

It only came with one 5 rd mag, Not sure how I would tell if its factory or not but it has a plastic bottom and says Ruger mini 14 on it and a stamped logo. The spring loaded part that gets pushed into the mag when loading is also plastic.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #4

Liked 272 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 View Post
It only came with one 5 rd mag, Not sure how I would tell if its factory or not but it has a plastic bottom and says Ruger mini 14 on it and a stamped logo. The spring loaded part that gets pushed into the mag when loading is also plastic.
Thats a factory mag. Could be something wrong with gas system, but not sure.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

The first thing I do with ANY new firearm is take it down and clean it. The vast majority of any problem with a firearm new, used etc is that its dirty. I have no idea how many semi-autos I have picked up from people cheaply because they were "broke". The overwhelming majority just needed a good cleaning!!!

Old 02-26-2011, 01:34 AM   #6

What ammo are you using ?

Old 02-26-2011, 01:51 AM   #7

25 rounds jammed 3 times maby Winchester 223 45gr JHP varmit
5 rds jammed once Remington 223 55gr PSP

Old 02-26-2011, 03:43 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

The 45gr Win is not 100% reliable in most semi autos, but it still happens with the 55gr Rem?

Do you know how to disassemble your bolt? May be time for new extractor and ejector springs.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #9

Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

It is very possible that your Mini has digested a lot of steel cased ammo in the past. This can cause extractor damage with the Mini-14. Check your extractor for damage or have a gunsmith look at it. Your operating handle (op-rod) could be rubbing on the stock also. This will cause it to short stroke and give you the failures you are describing. Another possibility would be that someone has installed a smaller gas port bushing that is too small for the ammo that you are using. One of these will more than likely be the culprit. Check them and let us know, then we can go from there..........

Jim.......

Old 02-27-2011, 12:07 AM   #10

I fired 9 shots today with no problems resulting in 1 coyote, however I noticed the top wood part of the stock slides about 1/4 inch forward and back. Thanks for the great tips I will look into the issue further and post my results.