Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   My new Choate folder (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/my-new-choate-folder-64364/)

p35bhp55 05-13-2012 02:44 AM

My new Choate folder

It came in from Midway yesterday. First I put the hardware in, installed a gun and fired it, fits tight and works. Then I really looked at it. First, let me say I live in easy driving distance to the Bald Knob, AR. home of Choate and have two other Choate stocks. So it gives me no pleasure to write this. The finish is rough as a cob, there were funny angles by the trigger opening and the rear of the pistol grip just ends with an odd open edge. It is bad enough that were I going to use it as is it would probably be on its' way back to Midway. The plastic on the folder must be from a much newer mold it doesn't look the same at all. The good news is the folder locks tight, the pistol grip is better suited to me than the Butler Creek and the rifle locks in tight. Used a piece of plastic and some epoxy to fill in the void at the rear of the pistol grip, shaping it to take an AR rubber plug and sanding the rest of the stock, also removed the metal loop on the pistol grip and filled the holes. Will be painting it or sending it to be painted after it's smooth.

Forgot to mention that the checkering on the Choate is for real, large and raised and provides a grip.

kryptar19 05-13-2012 06:26 AM

Choat is going thru some...difficulties right now.I consider the man that designs most of their stuff to be my mentor, and for the last few years the shop has been having some extreme ups and downs.

p35bhp55 05-13-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryptar19 (Post 799197)
Choat is going thru some...difficulties right now.I consider the man that designs most of their stuff to be my mentor, and for the last few years the shop has been having some extreme ups and downs.

Hope they get it fixed, their Ultimate Varmint stock is what made my 7 mag. a fun gun to shoot as opposed to safe ballast.

p35bhp55 05-13-2012 04:16 PM

I noticed there have been 33 views on this so will add that you can take the Butler Creek arm and spring, put it in the Choate hinge and it will lock tight. B.C. should be buying the hinges from Choate. They are a large solid piece with a taper so as long as your spring is good it's gonna lock tight.

kryptar19 05-13-2012 06:26 PM

Choat makes some great products, and even has contracts with Remington, Marlin, and I think Ruger.
Their shotgun stock with the pistolgrip is the best pistolgrip stock I have ever used.

p35bhp55 05-13-2012 08:37 PM

They make the H&R survivor stock, found their label in the forearm. Or maybe it's the NEF, not sure that Co. changed hands so much.

p35bhp55 05-13-2012 08:53 PM

Choate Creek?

1 Attachment(s)
This is where I'm at right now. The mini it will end up on isn't here yet. Hope to have it back next week.

kryptar19 05-13-2012 09:00 PM

Did you say you were an Arkansas resident??

p35bhp55 05-13-2012 11:00 PM

Yup, I was a damn yankee, but now they say I'm a yankee gone redneck.
I'm also 54.6 miles east and a bit north from V.E.T.S. Shooting Center in Bald Knob, and hope to be heading that way soon. My bestest shooting buddy just had back surgery and I'm living at work so kinda screwed right now.

kryptar19 05-14-2012 02:41 AM

If you ever find yourself in Jonesboro let me know, you, linuxuser, and I could go to the paragould range and shoot.