Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > My Mini Ate Her First Optic...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
We are getting close to Christmans sales and Black Friday shopping online, Midway is having a big sale next week.

Looking forward to that. Maybe some good deals on ammo!?
Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Old 11-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #12

Liked 125 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 130

At least you've got the right idea as far as scope power goes. 1-4 or 2-7 is more then enough for a gun like this. I have to laugh at folks that'll slap a 4-12x42mm on a semi-auto rifle thinking they'll be taking 800 yard shots or something. A rifle like a Mini that just may be used in close quarters for self defense needs a scope on the low end of the power scale, like the 1-4 that you had on it. That way if you're shooting a 10-20 yards you'll see what you're shooting at and can keep both eyes open. IF you need to take a 200-300 yard shot then 4x should be enough to get you on target. Granted you'll not be shooting prairie dogs at 400 yards with a 4x scope but then again a semi-auto like this isn't made for that either. Hope things turn out well for ya' and you get your scope problems sorted out.

This is the War Room!"

Old 11-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #13

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
At least you've got the right idea as far as scope power goes. 1-4 or 2-7 is more then enough for a gun like this. I have to laugh at folks that'll slap a 4-12x42mm on a semi-auto rifle thinking they'll be taking 800 yard shots or something. A rifle like a Mini that just may be used in close quarters for self defense needs a scope on the low end of the power scale, like the 1-4 that you had on it. That way if you're shooting a 10-20 yards you'll see what you're shooting at and can keep both eyes open. IF you need to take a 200-300 yard shot then 4x should be enough to get you on target. Granted you'll not be shooting prairie dogs at 400 yards with a 4x scope but then again a semi-auto like this isn't made for that either. Hope things turn out well for ya' and you get your scope problems sorted out.
Agreed. I'm not much for a long-reach scope. I had a 3-9 on my 10/22 and found that to be a little excessive at times. The longest local range here is 100 yards so it's unlikely that I'll ever shoot past that distance. In my initial dealings with the new 2-7, it seems like it should be okay. I still think the 1-4 is a better optic for this style of rifle, but I'm going to give the 2-7 a few days at the range and see how it does. I put Warne QR rings on it so I can remove it and shoot with irons if I choose to.

I'm not 100% sold on the 2-7 yet.

But I do agree that a 4-12 or 6-24 doesn't belong on a rifle like the Mini 14.
Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"