Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > My Mini Ate Her First Optic...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default My Mini Ate Her First Optic...

Well... It's happened. I had a gun destroy an optic. I don't typically cheap out on things like optics so I thought it would never happen to me, but, alas, it did. I don't know whether to be proud at the robustness of this great, classic American rifle or to be mad that my scope is busted and going back for warranty repair. Sigh...

So this is (was) my setup:

A Ruger Mini 14 Tactical with Hogue stock and Nikon M223 Point Blank Scope (1-4x). I know, I know. Scoping a Mini is sacrilege. Shoot me (please don't). I just had to, though. It looks good up there and I like the way the gun handles.

Anyway, I got the optic in and I have a pretty extensive review of it for anyone interested. All worked well my first day at the range getting it sighted in. Cool. Then I took it to the farm for its second outing and noticed it was shooting to the right a good bit. So, I grabbed the ridiculously gigantic windage turret on the side and turned it, which sent the turret spinning into oblivion and wrenched my shoulder (not really, but close). All that turning and nothing. Just a few faint little clicks. Now... I don't have the best memory in the world, but I seem to remember my experience during the original sighting in and one of my favorite aspects of the scope was the firm clicks on the windage and elevation turrets. They were rather nice. Not on this one. I thought maybe it had been pulled out to the reset position so I pushed it back in. Nothing. Pulled it out and it went into reset mode (you pull up or out on the turrets, depending on which one, and you can reset them to zero to give yourself a point of reference... cool feature). The whole turret is really wobbly and definitely isn't making adjustments when I turn it.

I'm sending it in to Nikon to see if they'll cover a repair on it. I can't think of what would have happened. The only thing I noticed is that there are some marks on the windage turret from brass hitting it as it comes out of the gun (I think). Is it possible that the brass is ejecting so hard that it's busting this turret? If so, I think I need a different optic better suited for the Mini.

If that's the case, what do you guys recommend. I'm invested in Warne QD Rings in 1" so I need to stick with a 1" optic (no 30mm recommendations, please). And I would like something for close to mid-range shooting (1-4, 2-6, etc.).

Thoughts? Experiences? Condolences?

Thanks good people of the forums. I look forward to hearing your responses.

Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #2

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I have scoped all 3 of my minis and use a buffer on the front and back. I have a Nikon on my 6.8 that works well, a Leupold on my standard mini and a Simmons on my target. It's always a roll of the dice with cheaper scopes like the Simmons but it has survived so far with buffers I made from vacuum cleaner belt and stamped a hole with a 9mm case.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #3

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

If your brass hits the turret just turn the scope a quarter turn to the right. Now the elevation turret is your windage and vise-versa but that don't matter(if you remember when sighting -in).

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Well obivously your gun is defective and should immediatly be given to a proffesional (such as myself) to be disposed of safely.

A cheap, even home made buffer should help. Like tri said simmons can be hit or miss (ba dum tiss) so you may just gotten a bad scope

As for a new one, BSA does some good stuff for the price
Do you have a budget in mind for a new optic?

Old 11-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #5

Hey guys... Thanks for all the quick replies. I'm sending the scope off to Nikon today. I just got a really good lead on a Redfield Revenge 2-7x34. It was $139 shipped and has a $30 mail-in-rebate. I figure for $109 and a lifetime warranty, it's a good gamble. I looked at a Simmons, too, but the Redfield had the rebate so that won out because it put the price point lower than the Simmons.

I'm building an AR at the moment so when the Nikon comes back, I'll put it on the AR with some QD rings and it can just live there.

BUT! Don't go anywhere. What is this buffer you guys are talking about? Sorry for my ignorance. I'm new to the Mini 14 as of about 2 months ago, but it is quickly becoming my favorite gun.

Oldatheart: You leave my Mini out of this! I got something I'll send ya... A knuckle sandwich!

To the mods: I'm not threatening (it's a promise!). GAH! There I go again, shooting my mouth off. He started it!

Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Last edited by heymatthew; 11-12-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #6

Hahahaha, you're the one who brought the mini up to begin with.
Whining about optics and rifles, baby

Nice buy on the redfield! When you get it we all expect a range report!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #7

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/m14bt1.htm

Provided the link actually works that explains it AND let's you purchase one nice and cheap.
Dont expect anymore favors mathew
Old 11-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldatheart View Post
Hahahaha, you're the one who brought the mini up to begin with.
Whining about optics and rifles, baby

Nice buy on the redfield! When you get it we all expect a range report!
Well... Darn it. You're right. Crap. It's Monday and not even lunchtime and I'm already wrong. Oh well. There's always Tuesday through Friday. And I'm not whining. I'm kind of proud, actually. Ain't no Nikon gonna get the best of my Mini!

I'll definitely give you guys a full report WITH PHOTOS! I love to write reviews. LOVE to write them. So be careful what you wish for. It may come true.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldatheart View Post
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/m14bt1.htm

Provided the link actually works that explains it AND let's you purchase one nice and cheap.
Dont expect anymore favors mathew
Thanks dude!

Old 11-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #10

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

We are getting close to Christmans sales and Black Friday shopping online, Midway is having a big sale next week.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin