Mini is smoking and magazine problems
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Mini is smoking and magazine problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 198 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default Mini is smoking and magazine problems

I recently bought a new 30 rd mag from Acadamy for my Mini. I went to the range this weekend and had a tough time getting it to feed well. It would jam quite frequently. After some brute strength I was able to get the magazine in tight enough to where it would feed, but I dont feel like it should be that much of a pain in the rear. Maybe just a crap mag. Also after about 40 rds, not rapid fire, smoke started coming from the heat shield. This could be due to the fact that the rifle is old, and has not been shot much at all. Maybe it was just some dust that I couldnt get to between the barell and heat shield. Anyone else have this problem.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2680 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 1348

ccase39,

First of all I would take the magazine back for a refund and search out a good quality mag! A mag is rather good or bad. To have to finagle it around to get it to work is no good! Even if you think you may have it mastered the first time you might really need it, it will take a dump on you! In addition probably was dust build up if you have had it stored for a long time out of a case or a safe. Just setting in a closet or other area, it is unbelieveable how much dust from even the house can build up on things. I pulled some of my guns out of an old cabinet in the house where I keep just a couple of guns for availability and I could not believe how much dust was on them.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

People Like This 
Old 07-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #3

Liked 3120 Times on 1865 Posts
Likes Given: 2159

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
I recently bought a new 30 rd mag from Acadamy for my Mini. I went to the range this weekend and had a tough time getting it to feed well. It would jam quite frequently. After some brute strength I was able to get the magazine in tight enough to where it would feed, but I dont feel like it should be that much of a pain in the rear. Maybe just a crap mag. Also after about 40 rds, not rapid fire, smoke started coming from the heat shield. This could be due to the fact that the rifle is old, and has not been shot much at all. Maybe it was just some dust that I couldnt get to between the barell and heat shield. Anyone else have this problem.
is it a ruger factory mag? ....nuff said!

old oil, dirt, or dust might cause the smoke...smoke is also normal with excessive oil.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:26 AM   #4

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

20 rd works best and factory is hard to beat. I have some Promags that work well. The smoke is from oil after cleaning.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

therewolf Likes This 
Old 07-14-2013, 03:35 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Was the problem with the mag when fully loaded? some mags need to be short loaded till the springs get a little wear on them. I find that a lot with the metal AR mags you see at gun shows.

The smoke could just be old dust or oil from a sitting around gun. But I'd give it a once over to look for any debris. Or just send it to me and I'll store the old smokey thing so no one gets hurt

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

therewolf Likes This 
Old 07-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 198 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Thanks guys. It is not a factory mag. I have no problems with my 5 and 20 rd factory mags. I cleaned it today and made sure to wipe the oil off well.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #7

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

IMHO, if you want a magazine that will function properly everytime, don't waste your money on aftermarket magazines. Only buy factory mags.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #8

Liked 3120 Times on 1865 Posts
Likes Given: 2159

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwraven View Post
IMHO, if you want a magazine that will function properly everytime, don't waste your money on aftermarket magazines. Only buy factory mags.
+1

imo 1 factory mag is better than 3 after markets when it comes to ruger products. its just a hard fact you have to accept as a ruger owner. however, i had a beretta that ONLY jammed with an after market mag as well...

i tried to tell a buddy with a 10/22 to avoid after market mags for it. he got one & it is total crap...it wouldn't feed at all. it sucks, but it is best to just spend the extra 15-20 and get the factory mags.

i have had 1 FTF in my mini in about 1600 rounds...and guess what? it was while using a pro mag. use good mags and decent ammo and you'll get good results more often than not.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:11 AM   #9

Liked 2604 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Do a visual comparison between a Ruger mag, or a well-made

mag, and a poorly made one. The front mount hole is in the

wrong spot, sometimes uneven. Carefully formed top rear mounts

work flawlessly, carelessly stamped metal mags won't even

mount properly in the magwell. If you look at good and bad

quality mags carefully, for a few seconds, the difference is

obvious. IMHO, unless you have had a good experience with

a really well made aftermarket mag, I'd stick with Ruger.