Mini-Scout-Mount probs?? (AMAGANGES)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Mini-Scout-Mount probs?? (AMAGANGES)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mini-Scout-Mount probs?? (AMAGANGES)

I had my favorite gun monkey (at the gun store) add a Mini-Scout-Mount (TM) because the 185 series seems to pose problems when adding glass of any kind.
Since having the mount installed the weapon has become very fickle as to the ammo it likes. It used to be fine with 5.56 even though it is marked as a .223. Now it doesn't like even like .223. I do see a contact point on the handgaurd/mount made by the bolt slide but I don't believe that's the problem. I cridge everytime it fails to load the next round in line. It's fine when chambering the first one but any after that is hit or miss.
Any suggestion?? Maybe?? Been back to the gunny twice and he says it' fine. I need info from you guys with more knowledge than the guy who sell me most of my guns.

Thanks again folks for fielding my questions. My16YO little girl loves shooting this gun and I took her and a male "friend" over to the range and she put on a show blasting old clay pigeons at 75 yards with this set up. Loud but no recoil to speak of.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #2
KMO

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, you've provided some good clues here. Your problem began when you replaced the former handguard with the scout product. You see a contact mark on the new product, made by the slide, but for some reason you think it's something else? I would tend to think that the new mount is interfering with the free movement of the slide, causing the rifle to only partially cycle. If you paid someone to install it, I'd sure take it back and describe what's happening.

(By the way, it sure looks nice on there...)

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 04-28-2010, 01:35 AM   #3

Liked 2027 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMO View Post
Well, you've provided some good clues here. Your problem began when you replaced the former handguard with the scout product. You see a contact mark on the new product, made by the slide, but for some reason you think it's something else? I would tend to think that the new mount is interfering with the free movement of the slide, causing the rifle to only partially cycle. If you paid someone to install it, I'd sure take it back and describe what's happening.

(By the way, it sure looks nice on there...)
I second that. If they are reputable, they should stand behind their work. If they don't, let us know.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #4

The gunsmith who did the work is dead and he would have worked things out for me. The store owners say the gun is fine. I think they subcontracted to the old smith. He was a great guy snagged 30 years to early.
The slide and handguard contact seems minimal but maybe it is the problem afterall. Thanks guys. Finding a good smith is a chore!!!

Old 04-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #5

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoAmmoPlease View Post
The gunsmith who did the work is dead and he would have worked things out for me. The store owners say the gun is fine. I think they subcontracted to the old smith. He was a great guy snagged 30 years to early.
The slide and handguard contact seems minimal but maybe it is the problem afterall. Thanks guys. Finding a good smith is a chore!!!

Even minimal contact with the op-rod will cause FTFs. Releive all areas of contact and you should be fine..

Jim......................

Old 04-29-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I always thought that if it was marked 5.56 you were good to use with .223, but if it marked .223 you shouldn't use 5.56.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
I always thought that if it was marked 5.56 you were good to use with .223, but if it marked .223 you shouldn't use 5.56.
All Mini-14s are chambered to use either .223 or 5.56 Nato ammo with the exception of the Mini-14 Target Model, which is chambered specifically for the commercial .223 round. This is regardless of what is marked on the rifle. The Target model is marked .223 only. Hope this clears this up again..

Jim..................

Last edited by masterPsmith; 04-29-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:16 AM   #8

The gun is marked for.223 but up until recently I had been operating as though the 5.56mm is the same as a .223.. I think there are alot of people who think that it is the SAME round. (Not here of course). I just thought it was basically a commercial vs military designation.
The gun shop "said" the 5.56 was a bit longer or enough to cause problems with the Mini 14 in question.

I have a real good gun screwdriver kit and some nice allens and a punch or two so maybe I should just take off the skirt and see if I can figure it out. Not even sure where to start when it come to eliviating contact points... I do feel a little guilty that I don't work out my own little gun crap problems...What the hey. No guts no glory!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoAmmoPlease View Post
The gun is marked for.223 but up until recently I had been operating as though the 5.56mm is the same as a .223.. I think there are alot of people who think that it is the SAME round. (Not here of course). I just thought it was basically a commercial vs military designation.
The gun shop "said" the 5.56 was a bit longer or enough to cause problems with the Mini 14 in question.

I have a real good gun screwdriver kit and some nice allens and a punch or two so maybe I should just take off the skirt and see if I can figure it out. Not even sure where to start when it come to eliviating contact points... I do feel a little guilty that I don't work out my own little gun crap problems...What the hey. No guts no glory!
The 5.56 round is "not" longer than the .223. The 5.56 Nato round is loaded to higher pressures and the 5.56 Nato chamber has a slightly longer feedthroat or freebore. The Mini-14s freebore is slightly longer than the standard .223 chamber. External dimentions of the .223 and 5.56 rounds are identical.

Jim........................