Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > The mini reloading & ammo thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default The mini reloading & ammo thread

What do you guys think about having Mini reloading thread? A place were you can share your favorite Mini loads and discuss COL, primers and cartage crimp or any thing else that has worked well for you. Keep in mind my Mini is a 197 series with a thin barrel but might shoot well in the new Minis. Who knows? I will start the thread with some of my favorite loads. Please don't load any of my loads or any other loads posted on the internet with out backing them up from another source like a bullet or powder manufacturer or a loading manual. As a rule i don't shoot max loads i stay a little under and work up to them. Better to be safe than sorry. High end loads can get dangerous in a hurry.

I will start the thread out with some of the loads that have worked out well for me. For most part a lot i have had the best results seating the bullets so that they fill the whole case neck and are at or shorter than 2.260 with the exception is the 69gr Sierra HPBT it worked well for me at 2.235. I have been using a lee LFCD adjusted i/2 turn past when it touches the shell holder.

This is my old stand by load. 52 or 53gr Hornady or Sierra plain base HP bullets BT bullets are ok if that is all you can find. I use IMR 4064 powder 24.6 gr you can play with that and see what your mini likes.

69gr Sierra HPBT bullet and 23.8gr H335 COL 2.235

55gr Nosler BT 24.8gr H335 COL 2.260 (tri70s load)

Last edited by canebrake; 07-17-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: TTTP
RiverRat68 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #2

Liked 2370 Times on 1384 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

although i am not a reloader, i think this is a great idea. it could be real benefit to the mini forum imo.

a reloading thread specific to the mini should be a sticky imo. if it gets much attention, i will ask the mods to make a sticky out of it.

also, a thread on the most succesful factory ammo might help out us poor guys who don't reload.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks hawkguy, One nice thing i am noticing about this forum is there a lot of people that want to shoot better not a bunch of know it alls. It does not hurt that a lot of these guys know Minis really well. I think there is a lot we can learn from one and other. Be leave me i can use all the help i can get.

I think your idea for a factory ammo thread is a good idea. When i was shooting factory ammo that was a long time a go about eight years a go the best store bought was American Eagle 50gr flat bottom and i tried every kind of factory ammo i could find or afford ( i am financially challenged) .

Old 06-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1075 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

That's two great ideas!!! I just made my first loads for the mini so I can't really contribute much, other than Accurate 2460 at 24gr is much weaker than factory loads and didn't perform very well (580 series mini). I've got three loads to try right now:

Accurate 2460 24.5gr
Accurate 2460 25gr.
IMR 4064 25gr.

All with Speer Hot Core 55gr soft point. Hopefully I'll know how they perform Friday.

So far I haven't been impressed with the Accurate 2460. It dispenses great (it's ball powder) and is perfect for a progressive press, but I haven't seen any good groups from it. My buddy tried a can for his .308 and gave up on it. I'm trying his can to see if I can get a good load for the mini.

IMR 4064 has been spectacular in my .308 but doesn't dispense well (stick). I can't wait to see how it shoots in the mini.

Last edited by TLuker; 06-20-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #5

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I like the Nosler manual information on some of the best powders they used but most applies to bolt guns. The service rifle data in most manuals don't list 55 gr loads, usually 69 and up.
I found that 55 gr fmj like a shorter COL, I have some Hornady loads that I use 2.230 with my favorite powder.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #6

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I usually don't list any of my loads for anything on open forums unless it is required for a competitive shoot, but I have posted this one before, so here goes.

This is my match load for my Mini which has a 1 in 7 twist barrel. It shoots sub MOA in my rifle. I load these and all match rounds on a single stage press and powder charges are weighed, not dropped from a measure.

.223 Remington
Lake City Brass trimmed to 1.758"
Winchester SR primers
24.0gr IMR-4895 powder
Sierra 69gr HPBT Match bullets seated to an OAL of 2.250".
I also use a light crimp.

My case neck expander ball is also slightly undersize for a tight grip on bullets for use in semi auto rifles.

Jim........................

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
although i am not a reloader, i think this is a great idea. it could be real benefit to the mini forum imo.

a reloading thread specific to the mini should be a sticky imo. if it gets much attention, i will ask the mods to make a sticky out of it.

also, a thread on the most succesful factory ammo might help out us poor guys who don't reload.
Hawkguy, I was looking around at Midway Hornady makes ammo with a bullet that shoots very well in my Mini for people that don't hand load i think it would be worth trying. Heck i want to try it. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165172341/hornady-zombie-max-ammunition-223-remington-55-grain-z-max

Old 06-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #8

Liked 2370 Times on 1384 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51colt View Post
Hawkguy, I was looking around at Midway Hornady makes ammo with a bullet that shoots very well in my Mini for people that don't hand load i think it would be worth trying. Heck i want to try it. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165172341/hornady-zombie-max-ammunition-223-remington-55-grain-z-max
thanks, 51! are thse any different than the v-max series? i have used hornady v-max with great results in my mini, in fact, it seems to be the ammo my mini groups best with (it is also the ammo i used on the challenge). i have had very good success with black hills match ammo as well. i also had some 50 gr federal hollow points that grouped pretty well, but not as good as the hornady.

on a surprising note, i was plinking with remington umc and putting together 2-3" groups last time i shot. i was kind of happy with its accuracy for a target round. the bulk federal didn't seem to shoot near as well, just from casual observations.

my mini seems to like 55 grain bullets, i have never ventured out much, except to shoot some 5.56 62 grain penetrator ammo and m193 ball....both of which didnt produce good results. one of these days i need to try a heavier grain match bullet.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There is a really good bench rest shooter at the range were i shoot he has taken me under his wing he gave me five of his 55g z max hand loads to try. My mini shot them very well infact it was one of my challenge targets. He also gave me 5 of his 40gr z max loads to try they also shot very well. The z max bullets cost about half what the nosler bt bullets cost. You need a lee loading kit bad. they cost about 125.00. We can get you reloading here on the forum.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1075 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51colt View Post
There is a really good bench rest shooter at the range were i shoot he has taken me under his wing he gave me five of his 55g z max hand loads to try. My mini shot them very well infact it was one of my challenge targets. He also gave me 5 of his 40gr z max loads to try they also shot very well. The z max bullets cost about half what the nosler bt bullets cost. You need a lee loading kit bad. they cost about 125.00. We can get you reloading here on the forum.
You say Lee, I say RCBS (but I do love the Lee crimping die!!!).

Hawkguy or anyone else even considering reloading, go for it. I just started reloading at the beginning of this year, but I always knew I would be reloading one day. I finally pulled the trigger so to speak and I'm really glad I did. I've been surprised at how enjoyable it is to just work up some brass or try new loads. I wished I had started years ago.