Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > the mini as a "not black evil" gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2370 Times on 1384 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Default the mini as a "not black evil" gun

I have a good bud I hadn't seen in awhile. he was helping me out with some things & we started talking about guns. he really wanted a gun (he seemed especially interested in a semi auto rifle). he didn't seem to know much about guns generally, but he has some experience as a kid with them.

his wife comes from a family of non-shooters and is irrationally scared of firearms in general...but he of course says the "scary black AR's" are at the top of her fearful list.

I showed him my wood stocked mini and his eyes lit up! I said that it is the same round and fires at the same rate as an AR & he became VERY interested. I think he found the rifle that will fill his needs and keep peace in the home! slap a 5 round mag in it around her, and his poor wife will likely never be the wiser... just a good decent hunting rifle....

the mini just seems to fill a nice niche in the market...especially for those who have family members that know NOTHING about guns, yet seem to be intimidated by black & tactical.

its just something to consider if you have friends that need to keep the "gun paranoid" wife happy.......

ruger_5801.jpg   images.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2013, 02:17 AM   #2

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I love the hunting rifle look! Good PR Hawk!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

hawkguy Likes This 
Old 07-29-2013, 02:24 AM   #3
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5683 Times on 2814 Posts
Likes Given: 6043

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
I have a good bud I hadn't seen in awhile. he was helping me out with some things & we started talking about guns. he really wanted a gun (he seemed especially interested in a semi auto rifle). he didn't seem to know much about guns generally, but he has some experience as a kid with them.

his wife comes from a family of non-shooters and is irrationally scared of firearms in general...but he of course says the "scary black AR's" are at the top of her fearful list.

I showed him my wood stocked mini and his eyes lit up! I said that it is the same round and fires at the same rate as an AR & he became VERY interested. I think he found the rifle that will fill his needs and keep peace in the home! slap a 5 round mag in it around her, and his poor wife will likely never be the wiser... just a good decent hunting rifle....

the mini just seems to fill a nice niche in the market...especially for those who have family members that know NOTHING about guns, yet seem to be intimidated by black & tactical.

its just something to consider if you have friends that need to keep the "gun paranoid" wife happy.......

Nice looking piece, it certainly is understated. All of my weapons are pre plastique but that doesnt make them any less lethal.

I have really never figured out why anyone would be intimidated solely by the look of any weapon. They just cant grasp the basic fundamentals of firearm virtue and vitriol. Ive nearly never heard anyone say, "thats a dangerous looking car" unless the damn thing was falling apart but because a firearm is sleek and semi sophisticated in appearance, they generalize saying things they know nothing about!

I fear cars much more than I will ever fear firearms, Ive never lost a friend to a firearm accident or even a homicide but Ive sure lost my share of friends and loved ones to automobiles. Maybe if more people were familiar with guns like they are with cars, they might not be so scared of them for no damn good reason!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Nice looking piece, it certainly is understated. All of my weapons are pre plastique but that doesnt make them any less lethal.

I have really never figured out why anyone would be intimidated solely by the look of any weapon. They just cant grasp the basic fundamentals of firearm virtue and vitriol. Ive nearly never heard anyone say, "thats a dangerous looking car" unless the damn thing was falling apart but because a firearm is sleek and semi sophisticated in appearance, they generalize saying things they know nothing about!

I fear cars much more than I will ever fear firearms, Ive never lost a friend to a firearm accident or even a homicide but Ive sure lost my share of friends and loved ones to automobiles. Maybe if more people were familiar with guns like they are with cars, they might not be so scared of them for no damn good reason!
right on! people who think this way have a "firearm phobia" imo.

phobia is an IRRATIONAL fear of something with no real basis in reality. like the fact that Ar's were on the most recent assault ban list and minis were not....perfect example of firearm phobia imo.

unfortunately for some sad souls, they love & live with firearms phobias relating to wives and family. sometimes you must think of happy compromises.....

Old 07-29-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
right on! people who think this way have a "firearm phobia" imo.

phobia is an IRRATIONAL fear of something with no real basis in reality. like the fact that Ar's were on the most recent assault ban list and minis were not....perfect example of firearm phobia imo.

unfortunately for some sad souls, they love & live with firearms phobias relating to wives and family. sometimes you must think of happy compromises.....
Hoplophobia is the fear of firearms, just for anyone that was interested.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 07-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2839 Times on 1947 Posts
Likes Given: 582

My Wife(who is NOT Gun-o-phobic) held my 92 for the first time and said "doesn't look or feel "machine Gunny" at all"
Because I showed her an ad for an M-11 and she said " looks like a machine gun to me"

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 07-29-2013 at 06:28 AM.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #7

Liked 350 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Had a Mini-14 before getting my AR's. The only thing I don't like about it are the magazines. Wish it was made to work with AR mags. Mini mags are expensive and unless they're Ruger, don't always fit.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5683 Times on 2814 Posts
Likes Given: 6043

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
My Wife(who is NOT Gun-o-phobic) held my 92 for the first time and said "doesn't look or feel "machine Gunny" at all"
Because I showed her an ad for an M-11 and she said " looks like a machine gun to me"
I do love to engage in conversations with Libs and progressives that try to explain the diff between a safe gun and a dangerous one. My rule of thumb for a bad gun is any gun thats pointed at me is a dangerous one, all others are less dangerous (to me)! Inevitably, they always try to point at "military like features" as the line they think civilians shouldnt be allowed to cross. The words they use only make my job easier, the fact they really dont understand the things they are talking about!

Its obvious they get most of their insights from watching war films and listening to other unaware idiots like Feinstein. They worry about a Bayonet lug, carry handle and pistol grip but none can really tell you why they make a weapon more dangerous, just that they arent safe accoutrements. And those semi Automatic Machine Guns are the worst.

I wont open a conversation with a closed minded person but I wont overlook an opportunity to enlighten them if they open the door. Usually, I look for a chance to mention my Grandfathers Remington Model 11 12 Gauge and most feel its fine to own relics. Then I tell them it will toss more lead faster and further than any of my newer shotguns and all you hear is silence...

Old 07-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2839 Times on 1947 Posts
Likes Given: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn
Had a Mini-14 before getting my AR's. The only thing I don't like about it are the magazines. Wish it was made to work with AR mags. Mini mags are expensive and unless they're Ruger, don't always fit.
I only buy them from shopruger.com or CDNN (www.cdnnsports.com) the ones they sell are clearly marked on their ads as either factory of third party from a contractor...and those are about 2 bucks less. I bought 5 40 rounders when they still stocked them...between those and the 30's and 20's i have enough....Just bought some 10/22 BX-25's from them for the wife since I gave her my 10/22. The next 10/22's I buy go towards the "Gatling Gun Project" or one in .22Mag...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 07-30-2013, 02:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
i see your point, but it has never bothered me much. i accepted ruger factory mags as the only ones worth having. as i have NEVER had a good mag fail or break, i've never felt the need to have double digit mags myself. a few back ups does it for me.