Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   the mini as a "not black evil" gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/mini-not-black-evil-gun-94595/)

hawkguy 07-29-2013 01:41 AM

the mini as a "not black evil" gun
 
2 Attachment(s)
I have a good bud I hadn't seen in awhile. he was helping me out with some things & we started talking about guns. he really wanted a gun (he seemed especially interested in a semi auto rifle). he didn't seem to know much about guns generally, but he has some experience as a kid with them.

his wife comes from a family of non-shooters and is irrationally scared of firearms in general...but he of course says the "scary black AR's" are at the top of her fearful list.

I showed him my wood stocked mini and his eyes lit up! :p I said that it is the same round and fires at the same rate as an AR & he became VERY interested. I think he found the rifle that will fill his needs and keep peace in the home! slap a 5 round mag in it around her, and his poor wife will likely never be the wiser...;) just a good decent hunting rifle....:D

the mini just seems to fill a nice niche in the market...especially for those who have family members that know NOTHING about guns, yet seem to be intimidated by black & tactical.

its just something to consider if you have friends that need to keep the "gun paranoid" wife happy.......:cool:





:cool:

tri70 07-29-2013 02:17 AM

I love the hunting rifle look! Good PR Hawk!

WebleyFosbery38 07-29-2013 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkguy (Post 1318640)
I have a good bud I hadn't seen in awhile. he was helping me out with some things & we started talking about guns. he really wanted a gun (he seemed especially interested in a semi auto rifle). he didn't seem to know much about guns generally, but he has some experience as a kid with them.

his wife comes from a family of non-shooters and is irrationally scared of firearms in general...but he of course says the "scary black AR's" are at the top of her fearful list.

I showed him my wood stocked mini and his eyes lit up! :p I said that it is the same round and fires at the same rate as an AR & he became VERY interested. I think he found the rifle that will fill his needs and keep peace in the home! slap a 5 round mag in it around her, and his poor wife will likely never be the wiser...;) just a good decent hunting rifle....:D

the mini just seems to fill a nice niche in the market...especially for those who have family members that know NOTHING about guns, yet seem to be intimidated by black & tactical.

its just something to consider if you have friends that need to keep the "gun paranoid" wife happy.......:cool:





:cool:

Nice looking piece, it certainly is understated. All of my weapons are pre plastique but that doesnt make them any less lethal.

I have really never figured out why anyone would be intimidated solely by the look of any weapon. They just cant grasp the basic fundamentals of firearm virtue and vitriol. Ive nearly never heard anyone say, "thats a dangerous looking car" unless the damn thing was falling apart but because a firearm is sleek and semi sophisticated in appearance, they generalize saying things they know nothing about!

I fear cars much more than I will ever fear firearms, Ive never lost a friend to a firearm accident or even a homicide but Ive sure lost my share of friends and loved ones to automobiles. Maybe if more people were familiar with guns like they are with cars, they might not be so scared of them for no damn good reason!

hawkguy 07-29-2013 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 (Post 1318680)
Nice looking piece, it certainly is understated. All of my weapons are pre plastique but that doesnt make them any less lethal.

I have really never figured out why anyone would be intimidated solely by the look of any weapon. They just cant grasp the basic fundamentals of firearm virtue and vitriol. Ive nearly never heard anyone say, "thats a dangerous looking car" unless the damn thing was falling apart but because a firearm is sleek and semi sophisticated in appearance, they generalize saying things they know nothing about!

I fear cars much more than I will ever fear firearms, Ive never lost a friend to a firearm accident or even a homicide but Ive sure lost my share of friends and loved ones to automobiles. Maybe if more people were familiar with guns like they are with cars, they might not be so scared of them for no damn good reason!

right on! people who think this way have a "firearm phobia" imo.

phobia is an IRRATIONAL fear of something with no real basis in reality. like the fact that Ar's were on the most recent assault ban list and minis were not....perfect example of firearm phobia imo.

unfortunately for some sad souls, they love & live with firearms phobias relating to wives and family. sometimes you must think of happy compromises.....;)

TekGreg 07-29-2013 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkguy (Post 1318698)
right on! people who think this way have a "firearm phobia" imo.

phobia is an IRRATIONAL fear of something with no real basis in reality. like the fact that Ar's were on the most recent assault ban list and minis were not....perfect example of firearm phobia imo.

unfortunately for some sad souls, they love & live with firearms phobias relating to wives and family. sometimes you must think of happy compromises.....;)

Hoplophobia is the fear of firearms, just for anyone that was interested. :rolleyes: :D

DrFootball 07-29-2013 04:55 AM

My Wife(who is NOT Gun-o-phobic) held my 92 for the first time and said "doesn't look or feel "machine Gunny" at all"
Because I showed her an ad for an M-11 and she said " looks like a machine gun to me"

Donn 07-29-2013 10:57 AM

Had a Mini-14 before getting my AR's. The only thing I don't like about it are the magazines. Wish it was made to work with AR mags. Mini mags are expensive and unless they're Ruger, don't always fit.

WebleyFosbery38 07-29-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFootball (Post 1318811)
My Wife(who is NOT Gun-o-phobic) held my 92 for the first time and said "doesn't look or feel "machine Gunny" at all"
Because I showed her an ad for an M-11 and she said " looks like a machine gun to me"

I do love to engage in conversations with Libs and progressives that try to explain the diff between a safe gun and a dangerous one. My rule of thumb for a bad gun is any gun thats pointed at me is a dangerous one, all others are less dangerous (to me)! Inevitably, they always try to point at "military like features" as the line they think civilians shouldnt be allowed to cross. The words they use only make my job easier, the fact they really dont understand the things they are talking about!

Its obvious they get most of their insights from watching war films and listening to other unaware idiots like Feinstein. They worry about a Bayonet lug, carry handle and pistol grip but none can really tell you why they make a weapon more dangerous, just that they arent safe accoutrements. And those semi Automatic Machine Guns are the worst.

I wont open a conversation with a closed minded person but I wont overlook an opportunity to enlighten them if they open the door. Usually, I look for a chance to mention my Grandfathers Remington Model 11 12 Gauge and most feel its fine to own relics. Then I tell them it will toss more lead faster and further than any of my newer shotguns and all you hear is silence...

DrFootball 07-29-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donn
Had a Mini-14 before getting my AR's. The only thing I don't like about it are the magazines. Wish it was made to work with AR mags. Mini mags are expensive and unless they're Ruger, don't always fit.

I only buy them from shopruger.com or CDNN (www.cdnnsports.com) the ones they sell are clearly marked on their ads as either factory of third party from a contractor...and those are about 2 bucks less. I bought 5 40 rounders when they still stocked them...between those and the 30's and 20's i have enough....Just bought some 10/22 BX-25's from them for the wife since I gave her my 10/22. The next 10/22's I buy go towards the "Gatling Gun Project" or one in .22Mag...

hawkguy 07-30-2013 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donn (Post 1318915)
Had a Mini-14 before getting my AR's. The only thing I don't like about it are the magazines. Wish it was made to work with AR mags. Mini mags are expensive and unless they're Ruger, don't always fit.

i see your point, but it has never bothered me much. i accepted ruger factory mags as the only ones worth having. as i have NEVER had a good mag fail or break, i've never felt the need to have double digit mags myself. a few back ups does it for me.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:13 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.