mini choices
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > mini choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 04:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default mini choices

Thinking for general plinking occasional deer/coyote rifle and semi long range 500-400 yards
The choices are
1. Mini 14
2.Mini 6.8
3. You guessed it mini 30

Ammo is reletivly cheap for 556 ammo very cheap for 762 and the most expensive 6.8 ammo
And do all the rounds use the same magazine because I don't want to spend more than $20 a mag and they should be easy to find/mod to work in a stuff hits the fan scenario

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #2

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

A mini 14 shoots 223 or 5.56 ammo. The 5.56 is almost exactly the same but the 5.56 is military and loaded hotter. Good for about 300 yards max. In the mini fourteen acuracy is not the best.
The mini 30 uses 7.62x39 the same as the old Ak 47. A 308 caliber bullet and good for about the same range.Also not that accurate out of a mini 30 or a AK. And is not the same as a 7.62nato or 308 as the civilian equivelent.
The 7.62 or 308 is very accurate at 500 yards and above and in a M-14 or socom. Not mini fourteen.
The 6.8 as far as i know is not chambered in a mini fourteen or mini 30.The mags are not interchangeable.
Your better of to look at a AR which is way more accurate.Or spend the extra money and move up to a m-14 or socom in 7.62 nato(308)

Old 09-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenut58 View Post
Your better of to look at a AR which is way more accurate.Or spend the extra money and move up to a m-14 or socom in 7.62 nato(308)
No offense but he didn't ask about whether to buy an AR or a Mini. Please don't turn this into a Mine vs AR discussion. I own both an AR and a new model Mini and the accuracy difference is negligible. But then again I'm not going for match grade accuracy.

IMHO since you want to use the rifle for deer you're going to have to go with either the mini 30 or the 6.8 (yup there is one) because, at least in CO, it is illegal to hunt with anything smaller then a .243. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If this is to be a potential SHTF rifle, I suggest going with the Mini 14 because of ammunition availability. I'm sure 7.62x39 will be available, but I don't know in what quantities.

The Mini 6.8 SPC ammunition is costly and not always available. But it will do the job further out than the 14 or the 30.

What about the Mini 14 as your all around/go to rifle and an inexpensive Bolt action rifle for your varmint/deer getter. There are tons of super cheap bolt guns out there that will do for you.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hot2handle View Post

IMHO since you want to use the rifle for deer you're going to have to go with either the mini 30 or the 6.8 (yup there is one) .
I have never seen a 6.8 advertised before is it a Ruger factory rifle? Is that what is refered to as a 'Grendal'?

Old 09-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jismail

I have never seen a 6.8 advertised before is it a Ruger factory rifle? Is that what is refered to as a 'Grendal'?
No it is Remington spc

Old 09-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #7

No offense to you to hot to handle but I did not know ruger had chambered a rifle in 6.8.The Question would have been excactly that mini four teen mini 30 or Ar.As far as I know the Ar is the only assualt style rifle the 6.8 comes in.
It wasnt that long ago my uncle was putting a 6.8 dpms on his Ar for wacking coyotes in oregon.
The accuracy difference between a mini 14 and a Ar is well known and even if you consider it as you say contrary to the facts negligible even that will become a factor out at 500 yards with a pea shooter of a caliber like A 223.
The suggestion he buy a mini 14 and a bolt action is the best suggestion as far as i can see. Im going to go see about this ruger chambered for the 6.8 It slipped past me and interests me I knew they brought out a ar style rifle. Remington has some ar style rifles also but since Ar rifles hold little to no interest I didnt look them over in my remington catalogue.Might go see what there calibers are.
The my rifle is better than yours asumption and accusation realy dont apply since i dont own a Ar nor want one 4 years in the army with the m-16 was way to much dealing with a Ar for me. I dont hold them in high regard. But they are acurrate.I also have no varmit caliber either. Havent had one in over twenty years. I used a 22-250 in a ruger m-77 with a varmiter barrel.It was very accurate at 500 yards But tore to big of holes in the coyotes to sell the pelts.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Here's link to the Ruger website page on calibers. Input 6.8SPC from the drop down menu. Three rifles and an upper are available in 6.8SPC.

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #9

I remember when those were revealed at the shot show a while back. They are simular to a Ar rifle. I get a news letter from Guns america and they always have vidoes of the new guns at the shot show every year.
I did not know they were making a 6.8 upper and I dont know much about the balistics of a 6.8. I recall my uncle liked the 6.8 but I never looked into them.
But where is the gerand type 6.8 like the mini 14 being talked about in the thread? Did ruger stop building mini 14 and 30 rifles.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #10

I would rather have one of these than the ruger

Centerfire Rifle - Model R-25 Rifle - Remington Centerfire Rifles